The impact of a win on Saturday.

Win and it legitimizes Mike Riley as the HC and puts Nebraska squarely in the playoff race. A loss isn't the end of the world, but my fear is all the closet Bolievers come back and say "I TOLD YOU SO BLAH BLAH BLAH" and this place becomes a bigger dumpsterfire then it usually is.

So the only to possible categories for Husker fans are "All in on Riley" and "Want Bo to come back"?

I was speaking more towards posters on this board rather than the entire fan base.

My point is do people who have something to complain about the current staff have to automatically be Bolievers?

• Fire 3

If you people get "pissed" at a NU loss, then you need to find another hobby. I have loved Husker football ever since I can remember and have watched every game but I've never gotten "pissed off" at a loss.

Disappointed? Sure.

Slight short term sadness? Sure.

Pissed off? Nah. These are 18-23 year old kids that are playing football for our entertainment. It's not thier job.

This might be why I avoid this board like the plague after any Husker loss.

Yeah...pissed is probably a bad word for it.

But I did have a friend punch a whole in our wall in college when ASU beat Nebrsaka

I had a friend that was so pissed at that ASU loss that he was going to kick a hole in the door and slipped and landed on his head. Another friend went looking for people to get in to a fight with. It was a bad night at Chadron State College!

It's actually possible (this is crazy) to just be happy regardless of winning or losing, and then still hope to win all the time.

So why are you trying to ground people anytime someone posts something optimistic?

Remember when you said you'd be miserable if we lost to Indiana?

I don't want you to be miserable. It's bad for you and it's annoying for me :)

I was pretty miserable watching that game.

If you people get "pissed" at a NU loss, then you need to find another hobby. I have loved Husker football ever since I can remember and have watched every game but I've never gotten "pissed off" at a loss.

Disappointed? Sure.

Slight short term sadness? Sure.

Pissed off? Nah. These are 18-23 year old kids that are playing football for our entertainment. It's not thier job.

This might be why I avoid this board like the plague after any Husker loss.

Yeah...pissed is probably a bad word for it.

But I did have a friend punch a whole in our wall in college when ASU beat Nebrsaka

I had a friend that was so pissed at that ASU loss that he was going to kick a hole in the door and slipped and landed on his head. Another friend went looking for people to get in to a fight with. It was a bad night at Chadron State College!

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_vvJsuV-k8A

ugafan-1474294377-2221.jpg

I agree that the most important thing in this game is getting the win. An ugly win is still lightyears better than a pretty, moral type victory loss. But, there is a big difference to the program between losing close/respectable and suffering another blowout. We have to begin changing the national perception that we "don't belong" in the discussion. Sure, you can argue that we're in the discussion and relevant since we are #6/7 but the sobering fact is, we will tumble faster and further, to never be considered land, if we lose embarrassingly big yet again. Gotta get that monkey off this program's back. A close loss may not be we want to see but it would be better than an even uglier curb stomping.

True...but the "don't belong" thing, I think, has more to do with the teams NU has played so far. If Oregon was 6-1 right now, there would be no such talk.

Sure, some of the current "don't belong in the top ten" talk is due to who we have/haven't played but if we hadn't sh#t the bed in every big, defining important game in recent memory, the Huskers would be given a lot more slack nationally and by our own fanbase. The way it is, people sort of expect us to come out and look the fool. That is the difference between being competitive and playing respectably and getting your doors blown off and setting mind numbing futility records.

Every Husker fan wants to win every game. Everyone understands that winning is better than losing. It's unfortunate that so many of us have been conditioned to anticipate bad things and protect ourselves by being accepting of less than ideal results. That phenomenon has been thrust on us because of what this program has gone through since TO left the field, including last year and even some of the less than stellar performances this season. Yeah, right now we're undefeated but nobody would say we're playing up to the level we would like to see. People need to quit acting like those who would accept a respectable close loss have somehow lowered the bar for the program. It just a defense mechanism that helps people cope with less than 90'sish results. Let's be honest, after all we've been through, playing a respectable national game in which Gordon isn't still rushing unimpeded, is better than much of what has ocurred, even if it isn't the victory we all really want.

I agree that the most important thing in this game is getting the win. An ugly win is still lightyears better than a pretty, moral type victory loss. But, there is a big difference to the program between losing close/respectable and suffering another blowout. We have to begin changing the national perception that we "don't belong" in the discussion. Sure, you can argue that we're in the discussion and relevant since we are #6/7 but the sobering fact is, we will tumble faster and further, to never be considered land, if we lose embarrassingly big yet again. Gotta get that monkey off this program's back. A close loss may not be we want to see but it would be better than an even uglier curb stomping.

True...but the "don't belong" thing, I think, has more to do with the teams NU has played so far. If Oregon was 6-1 right now, there would be no such talk.
Sure, some of the current "don't belong in the top ten" talk is due to who we have/haven't played but if we hadn't sh#t the bed in every big, defining important game in recent memory, the Huskers would be given a lot more slack nationally and by our own fanbase. The way it is, people sort of expect us to come out and look the fool. That is the difference between being competitive and playing respectably and getting your doors blown off and setting mind numbing futility records.

Every Husker fan wants to win every game. Everyone understands that winning is better than losing. It's unfortunate that so many of us have been conditioned to anticipate bad things and protect ourselves by being accepting of less than ideal results. That phenomenon has been thrust on us because of what this program has gone through since TO left the field, including last year and even some of the less than stellar performances this season. Yeah, right now we're undefeated but nobody would say we're playing up to the level we would like to see. People need to quit acting like those who would accept a respectable close loss have somehow lowered the bar for the program. It just a defense mechanism that helps people cope with less than 90'sish results. Let's be honest, after all we've been through, playing a respectable national game in which Gordon isn't still rushing unimpeded, is better than much of what has ocurred, even if it isn't the victory we all really want.

Good points!

Lets just hope Nate Gerry doesn't mistake Corey Clement for Melvin Gordon this Saturday and whiff on tackling him.

:sarcasm

In reality we should be playing with a chip on our shoulder and come in to win. We should play with tons of pride after what has happened the past few years and we should come out firing like it is the last game of the year. This team is going to need big plays from everyone even if that is blocking really well for the rb on the edge. Defend the Jazz Peevy jet sweep that OSU struggled with and frustrate Clement early. If Clement gets going early on it won't be good.

I just don't see a loss by more than 7 points to this team, they don't run the ball amazing and they use two qbs still. So our defense will be challenged nonetheless and we will find out if the Blackshirts are legit. Despite this lacking offense they seem to always find yards on our defense every year. I think our offense will do fine because they will miss a beat or two on defense without Clichy and that NT.

Win and it legitimizes Mike Riley as the HC and puts Nebraska squarely in the playoff race. A loss isn't the end of the world, but my fear is all the closet Bolievers come back and say "I TOLD YOU SO BLAH BLAH BLAH" and this place becomes a bigger dumpsterfire then it usually is.

And then I'll just laugh at them. If Bo was still the HC I wouldn't be surprised at all by a blowout loss. If Riley loses this game, itll be close and competitive. Not a 40 point blowout that bo made famous.

While I agree...this is one thing that I feel absolutely needs to leave the minds of the Husker fans.

"Close loss" is for the "little engine that could" programs...Not for Nebraska.

Back to the impact of this game. A win here really pretty much gives Nebraska the West Division Title.

Please explain who is saying they are going to be happy with a close loss or a close loss is great or wonderful.

Sure, well first...I did not say that people would be happy with a close loss or that a close loss is great or wonderful. I said that we need to stop thinking that a close loss is something NU should strive for but since you asked here are some posts that I would toss into the old "I would be okay with a close loss" category.

I would be happy with a close, competitive game. Final score somewhere close to the spread.

I want Nebraska to kick their asses and win. But I'll be satisfied if we prepare well this week and play hard Saturday. I'd really like to see our O-line have a great game giving TA time and TN/DO lanes.

Preferably win but either way just make the game a competitive one. Just like Wisconsin's games with Michigan and Ohio St. were. If we do that it will do a lot for the confidence of the fan base and the national media that we are close to being "back". If that perception happens then we will win a lot of recruiting battles with this staff which in turn could mean a lot more successful seasons ahead.

As painful as it would be, just keep this thing close.

Just let it be a 4 quarter game. F you Bo Pelini and what you have done to my confidence levels

So, clearly there are people (Husker fans) that if NU gets beat on a last second field goal will "okay" with it and so on.

Now, I see what you are getting at, I really do. I get it, trust me, I do.

You yourself said something like "If we lose, I won't be happy. But, at least if I get my wish here, it will be respectable."

Your wish, you said, was to keep it respectable.

That is the "Little Engine That Could" stuff. This is NU...They have out-recruited Wisconsin for the last 10 years...Our head coach was the freaking mentor to their coach, we have a 4 year starter at QB, they have a freaking freshman statue at QB. They just lost their all-world LB and their All-world NT.

This is Nebraska...Not WMU, trying to make a name for themselves.

f#*k being okay with a close loss. Win the freaking game. They can do it. Period.

right on teach!!!

Everyone I know keeps saying we are going to lose, and some say by a lot. We will see Saturday, but the blow out days of Po Belini are over. I have confidence that the Huskers will pull it off and score 27 for the third straight game and they will get a win scoring that much. Defense gets a pick and offense scores on a short 20 yard field. Both teams will be amped to play this game, but I say we will our way to a win.

Everyone I know keeps saying we are going to lose, and some say by a lot. We will see Saturday, but the blow out days of Po Belini are over. I have confidence that the Huskers will pull it off and score 27 for the third straight game and they will get a win scoring that much. Defense gets a pick and offense scores on a short 20 yard field. Both teams will be amped to play this game, but I say we will our way to a win.

I don't think we'll lose by a lot, and I have hopes we'll win.