What did we learn- Ohio State edition

I learned what 2014 Wisconsin learned in the Big Ten Championship game (which they lost 59 - 0 and we lost to Wisconsin that year 59 - 24); beware of sleeping giants.

Ohio State has the best players from around the country and the only team that can match them talent wise is Alabama. I was afraid after they lost to Penn State that they would come out and play to their potential, but I had hoped they would take out their frustrations on Northwestern and not us. ;)

Today we see how much of a talent gap we have with Bo's players and what Ohio State can field and all I can say is that it will get better. Give Riley another year or two (which I've been saying all season) and then we will see where we are at. Remember that this is not all of his recruits in the system and look at what a turnaround he has made in his second year here. If after two more seasons, Riley doesn't have us winning the West every year (I think we win in next year) and playing in the Big Ten Championship, then and only then will I say it is time for a new coach. I know blowouts hurt, it hurts to see our Huskers beaten down like this but even our best coaches of all time had a blowout loss here and there so this is nothing new.

And I learned a lot of Husker fans can whine like no other fans in the country can.

Well for those that want to chuck the season in the toilet, it is your choice. I guess I can understand it. I have seen Nebraska lose a lot of games, ones that were just as important at the time. But fortunately we play another game, and we set a goal for those remaining games.

We as fans have the right to quit on the team, but my guess is, that this team will not quit. Tommy will not let them, so even if you can't drag yourself to support Coach Riley, and truthfully a group of young men that do not have the athletic talent of those they played last night, that is fine. But I am going to support Tommy in his last few games, and in doing so, continue to support the team and program I have loved for 60 some years.

I understand the feelings, but how do you think the team feels, and then they hear comments that are voiced on these sites.

This is a few minutes of our life, but these kids live it 24/7 for the four or five years they are there. You may not support the coaches, but try to curb it, as it leans on the teams choice to remain here.

Hold my feet to the fire right now because I have said several times thru out Tommys career that he isn't a very good qb. Good athlete, but limited in passing and making the right decisions when he is rushed. Martinez was a better runner, and had the same passing issues. Passing while going backwards. Never set feet. Don't commit to the throw. Future of the program is riding on finding a Quarterback who can pass down field and be mobile. Finding WR's who can catch the ball and run with it. Speed. When you have average Wideouts and and average QB play, you can't pass the ball downfield. I think we have good if not really good running backs. Good tight ends. But no downfield threats. Yes, this is Riley and Co. 2nd year and really first year of his recruits. Your still telling me that Ryker is our best option at back up? Thank god we are not still in the Big 12! Riley will bring in some better talent at skill positions. I think he can do that. I think that if we lose another spotlight game that shrinks as well. That game last night was a train wreck. I would have had better feelings if the final score would have been 45-17, or 42-21. Northwestern, Indiana didn't allow Ohio St to score this much. Penn St beat them. Is it talent gap, coaching gap?

More defeats to come in more years to come. The talent gap between most West div teams and the East div is astonishing. Michigan and Ohio St alone have more than almost all of the West div teams. Wisky has an outstanding defense, but no offense. Penn St has some talent. This gap is only going to get more noticeable. Michigan is only going to get better and better. Ohio St is a machine. Even with that, other teams compete against them. Yes rally around this team. That is correct. Did the team rally around itself? Did the team rally around its coaches? Rose-Ivey can kneel during the anthem, but can't kneel low enough to make 3 game changing tackles? I have read other posts asking why we didn't blitz..........we did and whiffed! Those blitz calls were spot on, but our tackling was not even close. Rally around the team!

More defeats to come in more years to come. The talent gap between most West div teams and the East div is astonishing. Michigan and Ohio St alone have more than almost all of the West div teams. Wisky has an outstanding defense, but no offense. Penn St has some talent. This gap is only going to get more noticeable. Michigan is only going to get better and better. Ohio St is a machine. Even with that, other teams compete against them. Yes rally around this team. That is correct. Did the team rally around itself? Did the team rally around its coaches? Rose-Ivey can kneel during the anthem, but can't kneel low enough to make 3 game changing tackles? I have read other posts asking why we didn't blitz..........we did and whiffed! Those blitz calls were spot on, but our tackling was not even close. Rally around the team!

Nice try with the tie in to tackling and kneeling for the anthem. Not at all related. There's plenty to complain about from last nights game without going down that ridiculous road.

• Fire 1

This was a bad game. Don't judge players and coaches on one game. the fact is it's probably a little bit of both. We need to come at home strong against a not too bad Minnesota team. I hope you all close to Lincoln support this team rather than divide it. We still have the possibility of good things to come.

I learned that a great team can make a great team look like sh#t when they play their A game and the other team plays, at best, their D game. I also learned that a 59 point loss sucks, but its only one loss.

Reaffirmed that JT Barrett is a great college QB and made throws that not very many college QBs can make.

Again majorly disappointed by the game, but there's one next week and this is not the end of the year.

Nebraska doesn't have a great team right now. We all hope that changes but we aren't there yet.

Ok so this is horrible and embarrassing and the worst part is now I'll have to hear everyday about this horrendous loss for the next few months from anyone who knows I'm a husker fan. But let's say hypothetically we win out. And Wisconsin slips up like did they against Georgia State against a better team and pays the price and loses. And we head to the big ten championship against Michigan, play a tremendous game and win, and head to the Rose Bowl. Is everyone so pissed off then? Obviously it's hard to fathom after a loss like this, but we're not Alabama and were never going to really be able to go undefeated and win a national championship. A lot of things have to improve as we just got absolutely murdered in primetime, but if that happens somehow, will people be happy? Or are we still gonna operate under the notion that going from 5-7 to 12-0 in a year is a regular thing we need to expect from our team?

And I know everyone is gonna say it's the way we lose that sucks. And it is. We haven't even beaten a top 10 team on the road since 1997. I was 4 years old when that happened. But if we win out and Wisconsin loses, which is plausible, and we go to the B10 championship game, that's a hell of a turnaround from last year. Our coordinators are so frustrating but relax a little bit. Jesus. We've beaten everyone we're supposed to beat and lost to the two teams we were supposed to lose to, almost beating one. We play again in a week with a lot of opportunity ahead. Talking about firing a guy who's had a hell of a turnaround in a year who's actually a decent human being and makes me proud to be a Husker fan after two games against great teams is so irrational its embarrassing.

Banking on going to the playoff by hoping the teams that beat us slip-up and lose....I don't know about that. I think our team needs vastly improved to contend against anyone. Look at our wins..most of them are wins that were barely snuck out

No no I agree. I mean I go to the school right now lol I've been to all the games at home and the IU and Northwestern games. Definitely spotty. What I was trying to say is just that there's still so much ahead of us that one horrendous loss hurts, but it shouldn't make everyone give up all the sudden. We aren't the best team in the country obviously but we still have a lot we can accomplish that is miles better than what we have accomplished the past few years.

Like when Wisconsin beat the hell out of us in the B10 championship game even though they were there because of Ohio State and Penn State sanctions. I don't think we are going to the playoff, I just mean there's a lot out there. An 11-2 year or whatever it could be would be a really good year after the recent ones. And we're a play or two away from being 8-1. We're not the worst team in America, it's frustrating to see people just bail so quickly and act so erratically week to week. I mean if Tommy throws a 50 yard bomb for a touchdown everyone loves him, and if we go three and out the next drive everybody needs to be fired. It's just so far from reality haha. We're having a good season, it was a horrible loss that's embarrassing, but we can come back from it. Just don't jump ship so fast. There's a lot out there we can grab

Acting erratically, HAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHA! That is so appropriate!

I seriously think some of these people are bi-polar.

I honestly learned we are who we thought we were at the beginning of the season. Tommys comeback was the coolest thing ever and he is by far the heart and soul of the Team. I learned that playing in the CFP was a pipe dream to begin with and though id like to get a chance to go to indy. The thought of facing either Ohio St or Michigan would seem to be just another beatdown. I was honestly more upset about last weeks game vs this weeks. Sadly Ohio St is very good and we are just not there.

This is closest to my response. I was talking to my girlfriend who was very apologetic and I just said what did you expect? We had Whitaker, Hahn, and Conrad on the line. We had Fyfe at QB. Our DL who had been playing their heart out finally got exposed for being roughly what we thought it was.

At the end of the day, this is a team with very little depth and limited top end talent in certain areas. HCMR is trying to play the long game. Wasn't there a quote that leaked that 2 tFR could've been playing on the line? We could keep burning our redshirts, but that's not going to work long term.

When your line play on both ends is that up-classed, this is what you get. OSU has finished first in their division every year Meyer has been there. They also constantly recruit well. We're not there yet. I think we can get to a point where we can compete with them year in and year out, but not when we're beat up and not when we're still making program shifts.

I think my argument of at least we haven't gotten blown out ever with HCMR is out the window. I think what we have now is what has been a strength of the team this year. We will make adjustments.

Let the system play out, give it a few years and we'll see. I haven't given up on HCMR, but we aren't there yet. I knew this coming into the season.

That our players talk the talk but can't walk the walk

Which played made this comment "We're going to go in there and play pissed off"?

What do you expect them to do? That isn't even sh#t talking.

When they said that "They're going to go in there and play pissed off" and approach the game as a business game but yet get their asses whooped 62-3 is talking the talk and not walking the walk.

It is possible to do those things and get their asses kicked anyway. The other team was just superior.

I also learned langs will run up the middle on 1st down every time no matter how many times it fails.

I agree, seemed like we had 8-10 first down runs up the middle for 1-2 yard gains. I told my wife on several first downs where the ball was going and was right every time. That is sad because I never coached football and admit know little about it, but come on, it dose not take a genius to figure out what we were doing on first down, second down, third down. Are we that banged up on the o line?