What did we learn- Ohio State edition

Ok so this is horrible and embarrassing and the worst part is now I'll have to hear everyday about this horrendous loss for the next few months from anyone who knows I'm a husker fan. But let's say hypothetically we win out. And Wisconsin slips up like did they against Georgia State against a better team and pays the price and loses. And we head to the big ten championship against Michigan, play a tremendous game and win, and head to the Rose Bowl. Is everyone so pissed off then? Obviously it's hard to fathom after a loss like this, but we're not Alabama and were never going to really be able to go undefeated and win a national championship. A lot of things have to improve as we just got absolutely murdered in primetime, but if that happens somehow, will people be happy? Or are we still gonna operate under the notion that going from 5-7 to 12-0 in a year is a regular thing we need to expect from our team?

And I know everyone is gonna say it's the way we lose that sucks. And it is. We haven't even beaten a top 10 team on the road since 1997. I was 4 years old when that happened. But if we win out and Wisconsin loses, which is plausible, and we go to the B10 championship game, that's a hell of a turnaround from last year. Our coordinators are so frustrating but relax a little bit. Jesus. We've beaten everyone we're supposed to beat and lost to the two teams we were supposed to lose to, almost beating one. We play again in a week with a lot of opportunity ahead. Talking about firing a guy who's had a hell of a turnaround in a year who's actually a decent human being and makes me proud to be a Husker fan after two games against great teams is so irrational its embarrassing.

Banking on going to the playoff by hoping the teams that beat us slip-up and lose....I don't know about that. I think our team needs vastly improved to contend against anyone. Look at our wins..most of them are wins that were barely snuck out

No no I agree. I mean I go to the school right now lol I've been to all the games at home and the IU and Northwestern games. Definitely spotty. What I was trying to say is just that there's still so much ahead of us that one horrendous loss hurts, but it shouldn't make everyone give up all the sudden. We aren't the best team in the country obviously but we still have a lot we can accomplish that is miles better than what we have accomplished the past few years.

Like when Wisconsin beat the hell out of us in the B10 championship game even though they were there because of Ohio State and Penn State sanctions. I don't think we are going to the playoff, I just mean there's a lot out there. An 11-2 year or whatever it could be would be a really good year after the recent ones. And we're a play or two away from being 8-1. We're not the worst team in America, it's frustrating to see people just bail so quickly and act so erratically week to week. I mean if Tommy throws a 50 yard bomb for a touchdown everyone loves him, and if we go three and out the next drive everybody needs to be fired. It's just so far from reality haha. We're having a good season, it was a horrible loss that's embarrassing, but we can come back from it. Just don't jump ship so fast. There's a lot out there we can grab

Ok so this is horrible and embarrassing and the worst part is now I'll have to hear everyday about this horrendous loss for the next few months from anyone who knows I'm a husker fan. But let's say hypothetically we win out. And Wisconsin slips up like did they against Georgia State against a better team and pays the price and loses. And we head to the big ten championship against Michigan, play a tremendous game and win, and head to the Rose Bowl. Is everyone so pissed off then? Obviously it's hard to fathom after a loss like this, but we're not Alabama and were never going to really be able to go undefeated and win a national championship. A lot of things have to improve as we just got absolutely murdered in primetime, but if that happens somehow, will people be happy? Or are we still gonna operate under the notion that going from 5-7 to 12-0 in a year is a regular thing we need to expect from our team?

And I know everyone is gonna say it's the way we lose that sucks. And it is. We haven't even beaten a top 10 team on the road since 1997. I was 4 years old when that happened. But if we win out and Wisconsin loses, which is plausible, and we go to the B10 championship game, that's a hell of a turnaround from last year. Our coordinators are so frustrating but relax a little bit. Jesus. We've beaten everyone we're supposed to beat and lost to the two teams we were supposed to lose to, almost beating one. We play again in a week with a lot of opportunity ahead. Talking about firing a guy who's had a hell of a turnaround in a year who's actually a decent human being and makes me proud to be a Husker fan after two games against great teams is so irrational its embarrassing.

I'm going to have to hear about it to. I live in LSU land. At least they lost but of course they were noble in the attempt

My GF is from Baton Rouge, talked all night about how unbelievably pissed she was about the Tigers losing by 10 as if we weren't sitting on the couch watching my team get utterly dismembered on national television

Except for Westy, our receivers aren't making the special catches anymore. This goes for last week too. There were a few chances in the first half to establish a presence.

Eek. Yes. Carter had a couple of drops, and Stanley didn't have a very good night either.

I will give Carter the benefit of the doubt trying to make catches with that elbow brace and coming back for this game.

Alonzo Moore hasnt looked good either.

Defense was on the field all game. Why?

-3 and outs by offense. Not a great game plan by Langs. But when receivers can't catch the ball you don't stay on the field on third down. That was also due to some bad passes. Oline needs upgrades.

-Defense couldn't get off the field. Bad tackling. Horrible. Dline couldn't get pressure. Stoltenburg was getting absolutely destroyed. He had slow hands/feet and was getting controlled all game. Dzuris is too slow to push outside runs to the edge. Dline needs to get off blocks faster. Need major upgrades there. Linebackers were getting lost and running into blocks leaving holes. Need better speed overall. Missed tacked by LBs hurt.

We have a ways to go. A lot of it can't come through development. Need to recruit.

In the first half we put ourselves in position to make plays but didn't make them. If we tackle and catch the ball we go into half time at worst 10-24. We didn't make those plays and they snowballed.

Banking on going to the playoff by hoping the teams that beat us slip-up and lose....I don't know about that. I think our team needs vastly improved to contend against anyone. Look at our wins..most of them are wins that were barely snuck out

No no I agree. I mean I go to the school right now lol I've been to all the games at home and the IU and Northwestern games. Definitely spotty. What I was trying to say is just that there's still so much ahead of us that one horrendous loss hurts, but it shouldn't make everyone give up all the sudden. We aren't the best team in the country obviously but we still have a lot we can accomplish that is miles better than what we have accomplished the past few years.

Like when Wisconsin beat the hell out of us in the B10 championship game even though they were there because of Ohio State and Penn State sanctions. I don't think we are going to the playoff, I just mean there's a lot out there. An 11-2 year or whatever it could be would be a really good year after the recent ones. And we're a play or two away from being 8-1. We're not the worst team in America, it's frustrating to see people just bail so quickly and act so erratically week to week. I mean if Tommy throws a 50 yard bomb for a touchdown everyone loves him, and if we go three and out the next drive everybody needs to be fired. It's just so far from reality haha. We're having a good season, it was a horrible loss that's embarrassing, but we can come back from it. Just don't jump ship so fast. There's a lot out there we can grab

I just think people really wanted to get the national attention...they really wanted to be in the CFP talk but sadly that is not even a pipe dream anymore. I think we can still have a good season, remember many werent even predicting we would win these last two games. Its that want to be who we once were, i think we will get there we just need to keep trying.

I was annoyed by this game. Then I put my 4 year old to bed, he sprung up and said " I need to hug you daddy" and gave me a kiss on the nose. Football doesn't matter, the loss I don't care about.

I hear ya and agree that family is number 1. But people log on to this particular site because they are passionate about Nebraska football. So, the bolded part is not accurate for most folks around here. husker football matters to people who read huskerboard.com and will care about the loss.

With all that went on to Foltz and Tommy the game shrunk a lot. I love football and the huskers, but in the grand scheme it was meh. I'm sure when we play Minny and I have friends who are fans it will matter to talk trash, but today, just let this one be.

I just think people really wanted to get the national attention...they really wanted to be in the CFP talk but sadly that is not even a pipe dream anymore. I think we can still have a good season, remember many werent even predicting we would win these last two games. Its that want to be who we once were, i think we will get there we just need to keep trying.

Totally agree. I've been telling anyone who would listen we could go undefeated, and even after this loss I still think we could have. I mean better clock management and play calling at Wisconsin, we win that game. And even though we got mutilated against OSU, I don't see that as a measuring stick. Teams have good days and bad days. While I think this goes WAY beyond that, the fact that they lost to PSU and squared by UW and NW makes me think that we're capable of playing them much closer than we did. Whether it was preparation, play calling, injuries, schemes, effort, or whatever combination I don't know. But if we win out and even win a conference championship or win out and lose in a tiebreaker with Wisconsin and beat a Florida or Texas A and M in a bowl in an 11-2 season, is that not a huge step forward?

Literally 18 months ago I swear to God I had no idea who Mike Riley was and I was prepared to have to try to like Jim Tressell because a sock puppet told me he was gonna be hired. If we win out and things line up for a conference championship appearance or win or a great bowl win, plus the tremendous recruits we have coming in that fit this scheme of Riley's, plus the fact he's actually a decent human and good person that Pat Fitzgerald said is the kind of coach everyone wants to be? We'll be on our way. It's a football game. This season has been my favorite since I can remember, we're still gonna fight like hell and support the huskers and have a great rest of the year and vastly improve and it's gonna be a great way to send off our seniors who have done so much for the school and stood by DONU in turbulent times

I learned the following:

(1) We are definitely not ready for prime time. Not even close

(2) Our coaches are not in the same league (or even within two leagues) as those of Ohio State, Michigan, Alabama

(3) We still can't win the games that really matter

(4) I am glad that we are not going to the Big 10 Championship because it can get REALLY UGLY

(5) The Iowa and Minnesota games will be more challenging than I originally thought

(6) Next year will be really ugly

On a positive note, we still can finish the season 10-2, if we actually practiced like we cared about football.

What is sad is that at the beginning of the season, I knew we had very little chance to beat Wisconsin and Ohio State and that we will probably lose both games, and so did everyone else in the nation, and our team did not disappoint. It has been 20 years since we have been relevant. How much longer do we have to wait? No other relevant teams have had the down period of mediocrity that we have endured. Are those Tom Osborne eras gone for good!! After a game like tonight, you definitely wonder if we ever will rise again.

That our players talk the talk but can't walk the walk

Which played made this comment "We're going to go in there and play pissed off"?

What do you expect them to do? That isn't even sh#t talking.

When they said that "They're going to go in there and play pissed off" and approach the game as a business game but yet get their asses whooped 62-3 is talking the talk and not walking the walk.
  • Fire 1