What did we learn- Ohio State edition

Any Given Sunday (or Saturday). Sometimes that's all it is.

We have a right to be disappointed, they played terribly - all of them. But the dramatic calling for people's heads and negativity is ridiculous. Seeing Tommy on the field tonight should have reminded you all that it's just a game, and that these are just kids. Next week we'll show up just like we did the past 7 weeks and many of those who are so angry here this weekend will either be a no show to posting next week, or you'll jump on the bandwagon with a win.

Chill out.

This exactly. Disappointing loss, embarrassing loss but it's not like this has been a trend under Riley. If it becomes one then I can understand wanting major changes made. But this is the first time this has happened under Riley, and it happened to a team legitimately more talented than us. Cut the team a little slack at this point in the year

• Fire 1

- that you can't start 3 walk ons among a beat up OL and expect to beat one of the best teams in the nation.

- that we don't have the personnel to get to the opposing qb without blitzing.

- that we do need a special teams coach....just not this one

- that Tommie may not have a C on his jersey, but he is definitely the captain of this ship

- that this season is going to end up going just like I thought it would go: a good but not a great season

- that it all begins and ends with dominating the line play.

- that, while I am butt hurt, I will still cheer on DONU next Saturday, just like I have since 1968

• Fire 3

This game was a statistical anomaly. OSU beat the spread by an improbable amount. Our teams quarterback and our most important player by leaps and downs went down and we are not nearly the same team with our second string quarterback in. If we played again with tommy back in the game, it would probably be competetive. The doomsdayers are being overly dramatic.

We were down by more than the spread (21) when Tommy got hurt with like 7 minutes to go in the 2nd quarter. Stop kidding yourself.

If anybody thinks I'm whiny or a bad fan, please quote anything I've posted that is not accurate and true. I'm still a fan but the fact is we are not near as good as our record or ranking would indicate. I think we're getting better and that were better off without Pelini but we are not within 1 to 3 years of competing for anything until we start controlling the line of scrimmage.

Wasn't directed at you JJ. I agree with you, you are rational about our talent level, building needs, etc - I'm sure if you read through the posts from this game you'll see others who aren't so collected with their thoughts.

Yes, we were overrated, but nobody expected us to be undefeated this season, so unsure why everybody is so worked up about this loss (yes it was a big one, but that won't be noted in our record). OSU is a good team that came out last night with something to prove and we happened to be the ones in the stadium.

Taking Nebraska + 17 was a mistake

Tommy Armstrong has the heart of a lion

Michael Rose-Ivey will have nightmares about this game for a couple weeks

Fo Fiddy needs to teach his guys that if the ball goes out of bounds on a kickoff that's good for us

Anyone with half a brain can tell that last night's tOSU team was on a different planet than the tOSU teams from weeks previous. Ain't no way Nebraska was winning that game last night.

Ohio State's WR coach is a dick.

• Fire 1

Ran into a team that found their A game after looking underwhelming for a while. Not real fair to say "But Indiana, but Northwestern, etc." When it's obvious tOSU hasn't had their A games since OU.

Would have still lost with our A game versus theirs, but not a blowout.

Not even close to the same talent and depth. Couldn't beat their 2nd string. (Tommy still being in the game would have helped that.)

JT Barrett is the real deal when he's on. Was putting balls in tight spaces, and the receivers were catching them.

Aaron Williams (24) had a rough game. Really looked bad when trying to bump that receiver down after the long pass.

Receivers didn't compete for 50/50 balls.

Was nice being in the top 10 while it lasted. Probably won't see it again unless we win out including a bowl game.

Record is what I thought it would be at this point.

I learned it's much better for me to sleep on it before commenting.

• Fire 1

First let me say this; With the proper adjustments and some staff change ups (definitely Read, maybe Banker) we are still in a great position to get this program back to the upper echelon.

That said, I have no give a damn about it today. I literally went from thinking this team could contend with anyone 8 days ago, to thinking we would come out motivated and play hard up until Yesterday, to not giving two sh#ts about the rest of the season.

Seriously, 62-3? That's just bad no matter what excuse you pin on it. There was zero motivation even before Tommy went down. The tackling was sh#t. TWICE they tried to kick it off out of bouds and we still try to return it the first time! That team played with almost no desire or heart, that staff failed last night.

I'm not calling for Riley's head. I just, I don't even care how the season plays out now. If we would have lost say 33-20 it would be different, I'd be disappointed sure. But that was so beyond what we should expect.

I don't want a rematch, I just want this season to be over. I hate that I'm saying this. I was making plans to go to the Iowa game, forget that. I'm just ao tired of this, I thought we were going to compete every week.

Well, I'll be scarce around here I think for a while. The trolls have already begun their takeover. Hope we can rebound and salvage something from this.

• Fire 1

First let me say this; With the proper adjustments and some staff change ups (definitely Read, maybe Banker) we are still in a great position to get this program back to the upper echelon.

That said, I have no give a damn about it today. I literally went from thinking this team could contend with anyone 8 days ago, to thinking we would come out motivated and play hard up until Yesterday, to not giving two sh#ts about the rest of the season.

Seriously, 62-3? That's just bad no matter what excuse you pin on it. There was zero motivation even before Tommy went down. The tackling was sh#t. TWICE they tried to kick it off out of bouds and we still try to return it the first time! That team played with almost no desire or heart, that staff failed last night.

I'm not calling for Riley's head. I just, I don't even care how the season plays out now. If we would have lost say 33-20 it would be different, I'd be disappointed sure. But that was so beyond what we should expect.

I don't want a rematch, I just want this season to be over. I hate that I'm saying this. I was making plans to go to the Iowa game, forget that. I'm just ao tired of this, I thought we were going to compete every week.

Well, I'll be scarce around here I think for a while. The trolls have already begun their takeover. Hope we can rebound and salvage something from this.

I was thinking a lot of the same things you just posted.

I will still watch the games and have fun but I think most of us know how this will play out.

I thought games like this were behind us.

I was absolutely incorrect.

You weren't the only one fooled. A blowout like this continues to sets the program back. If this happens in year 4 of the Riley experiment then we need to move on.
most people can agree with this. But this is year two and we may have been out coached but our players were out played as well. Coaches called some plays especially early that gave us a chance. The players didn't execute on some of those plays. At the same time it was clear Meyer and Co was much better than Riley and Co yesterday. It's not all on the coaches, our coaches are't bad coaches at all. Exact same should be said for the players. But Ohio State has one if the 3 best coaches in college football and players across the board who would be starting over our guys if they played for us. Not at every position, but at most positions. Combine that with the fact we came out and executed poorly and fell apart with playcalling, and OSU played one of their best games to date yiu get a blowout loss

There was a lot of half effort by the players. It's become acceptable for blowouts to occur. The reason Meyer gets stressed out over a loss is that his biggest fear is losing will become acceptable. We have witnessed these kind of blowouts under 2 different coaching staffs so I place a lot of blame on player attitude. I'm giving the coaches 2 more years to fix that. Maybe Riley's leadership style will eventually instill enough pride into the players that they will never give up in difficult games but I don't know. He seems like too nice of a guy and I think the fix involves less coddling and more tough love. Something maybe only an a-hole like Meyer can deliver which is meant as no disrespect to him. Perhaps Riley can simply set the expectations higher and the players will respond. I definitely believe these kind of losses set a program back. If I was one of the many 4 and 5 star OSU recruits watching the game last night, I would not consider Nebraska.

I thought games like this were behind us.

I was absolutely incorrect.

You weren't the only one fooled. A blowout like this continues to sets the program back. If this happens in year 4 of the Riley experiment then we need to move on.
most people can agree with this. But this is year two and we may have been out coached but our players were out played as well. Coaches called some plays especially early that gave us a chance. The players didn't execute on some of those plays. At the same time it was clear Meyer and Co was much better than Riley and Co yesterday. It's not all on the coaches, our coaches are't bad coaches at all. Exact same should be said for the players. But Ohio State has one if the 3 best coaches in college football and players across the board who would be starting over our guys if they played for us. Not at every position, but at most positions. Combine that with the fact we came out and executed poorly and fell apart with playcalling, and OSU played one of their best games to date yiu get a blowout loss

There was a lot of half effort by the players. It's become acceptable for blowouts to occur. The reason Meyer gets stressed out over a loss is that his biggest fear is losing will become acceptable. We have witnessed these kind of blowouts under 2 different coaching staffs so I place a lot of blame on player attitude. I'm giving the coaches 2 more years to fix that. Maybe Riley's leadership style will eventually instill enough pride into the players that they will never give up in difficult games but I don't know. He seems like too nice of a guy and I think the fix involves less coddling and more tough love. Something maybe only an a-hole like Meyer can deliver which is meant as no disrespect to him. Perhaps Riley can simply set the expectations higher and the players will respond. I definitely believe these kind of losses set a program back. If I was one of the many 4 and 5 star OSU recruits watching the game last night, I would not consider Nebraska.

We had an A hole as a coach before so I don't think that is the key to urbans success. Not saying you were saying it was, but I don't think personality is a determining factor, more how you utilize your personality.

Other than that I can't disagree with anything you said

I learned the entire program has a far longer road to travel before they are even remotely mentioned within the conversation of national relevance. Many of us have blamed individual players, the head coach, the coordinators, recruiting and overall culture (heart and intensity). It is all of that.

Some schools can turn around a team very quickly. If quickly means 1-3 years, we are not one of those programs. I do hope for sustained improvement, but this year's perceived progress might just be that last year the Huskers were very unfortunate to lose virtually all their close games. Are we actually better than last year? I think so. How much better? I don't think very much. Personally, I think in two years we will know if the current landscape (all the aforementioned ingredients) has what it takes to develop a top tier program.

Last night was a confirmation of many things for me:

-The decision to redshirt all of the Oline class this year was finally exposed. Lets hope we have RS Freshmen that are able to provide solid depth next year.

-The lack of a real pass rushing DE was on full display last night. I think a juco infusion of two DEs would be a prudent choice for 2017. At DT, I think we will be OK next year.

-This offensive scheme is built around Armstrong. Without him, we reverted to a team with no identity or direction. Some seem to want to lay last night all on Langsford, but I'm not sure that's a fair shake. That said, there were numerous questionable decisions; however, none of which I think could have changed the direction of the game.

Where do we go from here:

-It's hard to know if OSU finally just connected all the dots vs. NU or if we were lucky to take Wisc to OT and be 7-1. I'm assuming it's a bit of both. I certainly am not in favor of rolling heads at this point.

- How the team plays the remainder of this year really will impact of opinion of the staff as whole going into year 3. If we win out, 11-2 is still 11-2. As much as last night was a sh#t our pants moment, 11-2 is an improvement on where we have been. Maybe it's a galvanizing moment for the team and staff like the sh#t show that was last year.

-All the visits of these high rated prospects need to materialize in commitments if we want to be relevant again.

-The direction of the offense in 2017. Tommy is a gamer and has carried this team in 2016. With him gone, the coaches have to establish something that can be our foundation. Tanner Lee by all accounts(see Nate Gerry interview from last week) is poised to be the guy in 2017. To be successful we need to establish some form of an identity. Last night is either indicative of a scheme built for Tommy or an offense that will have a serious identity crisis come the Spring.

-Defensively establishing a pass rush is must. We have the guys to compete against average Big 10 talent, but we are playing single A ball vs. the real teams.