Langsdorf on Offensive Identity

Mavric

I hate seeing teams blitz up the gut and Langsdorf runs directly into it. I would like to see a speed option. On third and one, IMO they need a fullback.

Getting TA on the edge is a win for us, however you also need at least one or two blockers out there with him. When the OL in injured it is hard for them to be mobile enough to get out there and support that effort.

As the OL and Cethan get healthy I would hope to see more of TA on the edge.

I hate seeing teams blitz up the gut and Langsdorf runs directly into it. I would like to see a speed option. On third and one, IMO they need a fullback.

Getting TA on the edge is a win for us, however you also need at least one or two blockers out there with him. When the OL in injured it is hard for them to be mobile enough to get out there and support that effort.

Langs has no offensive answer for teams that over power us at the LOS. That is painfully evident.

Langs has no offensive answer for teams that over power us at the LOS. That is painfully evident.
Seemed to find an answer in quick sideline passes tonight

I can't wait for the last two O line classes to grow up and mature so we will have depth at all positions. We surely need to find a center to anchor the middle of the line if we want to run up the middle with any consistency. I'm sorry but Utter gets blown up way to often. My hope is that we can find linemen who can protect the new version of QB that we will have under center the next few years. They will need time to find receivers as we won't be able to rely on a mobile QB rolling out of the pocket.

It took him 3 quarters to figure out how to go wide and open up the inside for Newby. Also, the intensity just sucks until the game is almost over...it doesn't matter what you call if you're gonna run it half-speed or throw to covered guys every time. Same with the defense letting them nickel and dime us the whole game and our signature 'never pressure the qb'.

Other than the 3rd and 1 langsdorf called a phenomenal game in my opinion considering all the factors he's dealing with.. they had to earn everything last night and I thought he set the offense up in the best possible way that's physically possible for then

Agreed, +1. I don't know Minnesota's national defensive stat rankings off the top of my head, but they were 7-2 heading into last night's game. They're not a terrible team. Langsdorf did a good job of working the ball outside early, and probably more importantly, Tommy was "on" last night. He threw the ball pretty accurately.

Back to the identity topic - Maybe it was an issue during the Watson zone read/Tim Beck years. I'm not totally sure. But I think our fan base is probably overthinks it a little during these two seasons where we're playing transition football.

I think we absolutely do have an identity on offense this season that, despite not winning us the big games we really needed to win, has gotten us to 8-2. And that identity is making a constant effort to limit Tommy's mistakes combined with power running in the fourth quarter. Our line and Newby are like, different players in the fourth. It's really a pretty beautiful thing.

It's a little too late at this point to fixate on offensive identity when we know with relative confidence who the starting QB is going to be next season.

• 2 weeks later...

Offensive identity against IOWA: YOLO....go long.

Not quite. Multiple times receivers had 3-5 yards on the db's and the qb just didn't execute. Can't fault a coordinator for lack of execution on plays that worked the way they were designed to. Also, can't fault a coordinator for deciding to throw 40 yards down field when another receiver running a crossing route is wide open. Plays are called by people who understand the game (not someone who just watches where the ball goes on a tv screen), they have to be executed by players.

• Fire 1

I think we will see Langsdorf's true offensive identity once Tanner Lee, Patrick O'Brien or Gebbia are the starting QB.

Pro style is what he is and what he knows.

Sometimes, he has come up with excellent game plans and used Armstrong's talent- (Foster Farms Bowl being one of the best) - but most of the time, he never truly utilized a good, deceptive QB run game and his desire to run the pro style offense takes over.

Not quite. Multiple times receivers had 3-5 yards on the db's and the qb just didn't execute. Can't fault a coordinator for lack of execution on plays that worked the way they were designed to. Also, can't fault a coordinator for deciding to throw 40 yards down field when another receiver running a crossing route is wide open. Plays are called by people who understand the game (not someone who just watches where the ball goes on a tv screen), they have to be executed by players.

[/quoteThis has been a problem for Armstrong his whole career.Locking in on one reciever,not checking down to the open guy.Ready for a change at Q.B.,and if that doesn't improvethe situation,start looking for a new O.C.

I'll second this. On every YOLO throw, our receivers had the step on the defender, and a better - thrown ball would have changed the game completely.

Here is a little gem from the same article..... When talking about missing some throws... Yet we kept throwing, and throwing and throwing......

Because the Huskers didn’t, they had a historically bad day on offense — at least from yards per play standpoint. It’s the second-fewest points NU has scored in the Big Ten era — the lowest was 3 points at Ohio State. aIt’s also the third time Nebraska has gained fewer than 300 yards against Iowa. The first two were in 2012 (263) and 2013 (288). NU scored 13 points in 2012; and 17 in 2013.

• Fire 1