Why is Donald Trump a racist?

NUance

Looks like Kobach's ready to get Islamaphobic up in here. Or rather, "tough" for those of us that aren't fans of scary brown folks.

I heard his super secret plan for defeating ISIS also included saying the phrase "Radical Islamic Terrorism" more. I can't believe no one has thought of that!

Pretty good work by whoever took that picture.

Looks like Kobach's ready to get Islamaphobic up in here. Or rather, "tough" for those of us that aren't fans of scary brown folks.

I heard his super secret plan for defeating ISIS also included saying the phrase "Radical Islamic Terrorism" more. I can't believe no one has thought of that!

OK...after being on Maddow's twitter feed I feel pathetic.

However....if that really is the zoomed in picture.....this guy is a huge idiot for prancing around in front of cameras with papers with political plans hanging out of his hands.

However....if that really is the zoomed in picture.....this guy is a huge idiot for prancing around in front of cameras with papers with political plans hanging out of his hands.

Don't feel bad - I dig the irony of Trump running with saying he wouldn't share his plans for anything because that would be tipping off the enemy, now he hires someone that gets photographed with the outline of the plan visible.

Seems like maybe all the photos are going to be what gets him in trouble ...

https://twitter.com/maddow/status/800797576517865473

Don't feel bad - I dig the irony of Trump running with saying he wouldn't share his plans for anything because that would be tipping off the enemy, now he hires someone that gets photographed with the outline of the plan visible.

Seems like maybe all the photos are going to be what gets him in trouble ...

Who needs a personal email server?

This is some next-level spin from Rebecca Berg of RealClearPolitics.

Should Trump disavow?

Well he has in the past. Over the course of the campaign, he was asked this question a few times regarding David Duke, regarding more generally the alt-right and some of their more ethno-nationalist sentiments. And he did denounce them. But because this keeps popping up—and because he chose Steve Bannon, and because there’s some controversy over that—certainly there’s some people that are urging him to do so again.

There’s a risk inherent in that, because if he does denounce it, he’s raising this issue and lifting it to more prominence, lifting their message to more prominence. So I could see why they wouldn’t want to say anything. But I think the challenge for Trump and his team moving forward is going to be to assure people that people on the alt-right, white nationalists, do not have a voice in the Trump administration and do not have a place in the policies he’ll be crafting when he is president.

Yes, Rebecca, certainly because he appointed Steve Bannon chief strategist these things are going to continue to come up.

That's a spinelessly pathetic excuse given for Trump to not disavow. The cynic in me would suggest these people simply don't want him to, and are trying to lay any groundwork they can to create this new world they desire.

• Fire 1

Conservative columnist Ben Shapiro, formerly of Breitbart, with a good answer to this question in an interview with Slate on the "alt-right":

So it’s a couple-step process, and glomming onto Trump has been part of that because Trump, I don’t think, is alt-right. I don’t think that Trump is particularly racist. I think he’s an ignoramus. I think that more than anything, Trump is willing to pay heed to and wink at anybody who provides him even a shred of good coverage. So if the alt-right, which worships at the altar of Trump—if they provide him good coverage, he’s willing to wink and nod at them and not wreck them.

Hence why I think it's a lot more important to characterize the dangers of what's going on properly, rather than singularly debate the question of whether Donald Trump, the man himself, is personally racist and to what extent.

Vox with further treatment of the goals of white nationalism and why they consider Trump a useful -- even if unwitting -- ally:

“What are we fighting for is a ‘new normal,’ a moral consensus we insist upon,” Spencer said in his recent NPI address (the “Hail Trump!” one). “Donald Trump is a step towards this new normal.”

Now they want Trump to go even further. They want him to continue using offensive rhetoric, and actually escalate it — to use his Cabinet appointments and the bully pulpit to normalize ideas that mainstream discourse shuns.

Taylor, again, is the clearest on this point.

“A change in tone would be as dramatic as a change in policy because a president and his cabinet have tremendous influence that goes well beyond policy,” he writes in his 2015 piece:

They can put a subject on the national agenda just by talking about it. They can make it respectable just by continuing to talk about it. Actually looking at the pros and cons of immigrants could open the door to looking at the pros and cons of different groups of people. White, high-IQ, English-speaking people obviously assimilate best, and someone in a Trump administration might actually say so. A Trump presidency could completely change what is said about the difference between a crowd and a nation, and what it means to be an American.

There's a coming battle over normalization; what is acceptable and what is not.

Speaking of "nationalism' - I don't think this is the type GWB was talking about. :dunno However, it seems it works both ways. (And neither way is acceptable!) -Rep. Keith Ellison, the Minnesota Democrat vying for the top post at the Democratic National Committee, once proposed the idea for a blacks-only society within the United States and also called for reparations. .

http://dailycaller.com/2016/11/26/keith-ellison-once-proposed-making-a-separate-country-for-blacks/

a Portion of the article:

The fourth and final column written by Hakim is the most inflammatory. Published on February 2, 1990 and entitled “Affirmative action does not make up for past injustice,” the article pushes for reparations for slavery and giving black Americans the option of a separate black homeland.

The article proposes a separate country for blacks as well, writing,

“Since no one but the WASP elite really appreciates affirmative action, I have a challenge for all fair-minded middle- and working-class white people: I will urge black people to abandon white-dominated, integration-oriented, give-away programs, if you urge white people to justly compensate black people for 250 years of slavery, 90 years of Jim Crow and 25 years of neo-Jim Crow.

The settlement could be a straight cash transfer for all the black exploitation. This means just compensation for all the labor hours put in by the slaves and just compensation for all the intellectual and artistic property ripped off by all the Elvis Presleys and Pat Boones. It means compensation for all the money ripped off through sharecropping and just compensation owing to all the black athletes of yesterday, such as Jack Jefferson and Joe Louis. It means back payment of the ‘black tax,’ which is the price hike that ghetto merchants and pawnbrokers charge black consumers.”

A full scan of the article can be viewed here and should be read to obtain more details on Hakim’s reparation plans.

“Finally, blacks would have the option of choosing their own land base or remaining in the United States. Since black people toiled most diligently in the southeastern section of the United States, this land, quite naturally, would be most suitable. That means Arkansas, Alabama, Georgia, Louisiana and Mississippi. Blacks, of course, would not be compelled to move to the black state, and, of course, peaceful whites would not be compelled to move away.

This is a bargain.

Whites would be relieved of the burdens of the black-faced but white-dominated social programs. Blacks would employ themselves, teach their own children the truth and control their own neighborhoods. Black-white interaction would be voluntary instead of compelled. No more busing, no more affirmative action and, best of all, no more white guilt. White people could righteously say they have ‘settled their debts with blacks. Urban blacks, long alienated from society by poverty, forced segregation and media-vilification, would no longer strike fear in whites. Think of it, whites could reclaim their cities — without dispossessing anyone.

Now the liberals may oppose this reparations program because, of course, they justify their existence by championing so-called lost causes.”

His association with Muslim Brotherhood is linked here.

http://freebeacon.com/politics/muslim-brotherhood-tied-group-paid-keith-ellison-visit-mecca-2008/

• 2 weeks later...

Okay, I don't post much in the P&R forum. And to be honest I don't really follow politics very closely (—mostly because it seems like very few, if any, politicians are honest). But these last couple of days—whew! A lot of people are all up in arms claiming that Donald Trump is a racist. So will someone explain to me why people think he's a racist?

Is Trump a racist because of The Wall? Is it because of other policies in his campaign platform? Is it because of things he's said? Is it because some of his constituency are racist? Is it because he is a wealthy white male? I am opening this dialog because I have a very hard time believing that someone elected to be president is actually a racist.

Practically every President prior to Obama was a blatant racist, so that's nothing really new. Trump is just really the first person to run for President being so openly racist and bigoted.

But, to answer your questions, Trump is a racist because: a) he's a 70 year old white male*, b) he's said incredibly racist things during his campaign, 3) since his election win, he's surrounded himself with a veritable "who's who" of racist, kkk-loving, neo-nazi, white supremacists.

*And not to put too fine a point on it, but I don't know anyone that age who isn't racist. My mom, her husband, and most of their friends (who are all white in in the 68-75 age range) are all blatantly racist. On the few times I have been around them, they all call Michelle Obama some kind of slur (think along the lines of primates). They all drop the N word regularly. They all think that black people need to be exterminated. They are truly awful people. I try to love my mom, but sometimes the things she says just makes my skin crawl.

To put it succinctly, if it looks like pooh, has the consistency of pooh, and smells like pooh--then it's pooh.

Okay, I don't post much in the P&R forum. And to be honest I don't really follow politics very closely (—mostly because it seems like very few, if any, politicians are honest). But these last couple of days—whew! A lot of people are all up in arms claiming that Donald Trump is a racist. So will someone explain to me why people think he's a racist?

Is Trump a racist because of The Wall? Is it because of other policies in his campaign platform? Is it because of things he's said? Is it because some of his constituency are racist? Is it because he is a wealthy white male? I am opening this dialog because I have a very hard time believing that someone elected to be president is actually a racist.

Practically every President prior to Obama was a blatant racist, so that's nothing really new. Trump is just really the first person to run for President being so openly racist and bigoted.

But, to answer your questions, Trump is a racist because: a) he's a 70 year old white male*, b) he's said incredibly racist things during his campaign, 3) since his election win, he's surrounded himself with a veritable "who's who" of racist, kkk-loving, neo-nazi, white supremacists.

*And not to put too fine a point on it, but I don't know anyone that age who isn't racist. My mom, her husband, and most of their friends (who are all white in in the 68-75 age range) are all blatantly racist. On the few times I have been around them, they all call Michelle Obama some kind of slur (think along the lines of primates). They all drop the N word regularly. They all think that black people need to be exterminated. They are truly awful people. I try to love my mom, but sometimes the things she says just makes my skin crawl.

To put it succinctly, if it looks like pooh, has the consistency of pooh, and smells like pooh--then it's pooh.

So if a person is white, and old, they're a racist. But if they're black they're not. Mmmmmkay.

See, I think we share a lot of political inclinations, Chimi, but you have this tendency of expressing them in a way that discredits your own points.

At least...it's hard to get a gauge on where you're coming from. I know you're explaining it, and for example, I do agree that everyone is racist. We shouldn't hide from it, but equally that means we should stop treating it as a mere cudgel used to shame and disclaim. And I'm well aware of all the animal-based slurs we have for black people here and in Europe at least. But one's parents plus most of their friends, that entire demo, all literally wanting black people to be exterminated, that's something I can't even fathom.

It doesn't square with my reality. If it is yours, then yeah, I can see why all the hostility and suspicion. But more than anything you come as prone to severe, unfair, and dismissive exaggeration. I say this as someone who strongly opposes any underselling of the alarming, dangerous forces that are today burgeoning.

Okay, I don't post much in the P&R forum. And to be honest I don't really follow politics very closely (mostly because it seems like very few, if any, politicians are honest). But these last couple of dayswhew! A lot of people are all up in arms claiming that Donald Trump is a racist. So will someone explain to me why people think he's a racist?

Your personal anecdotes are meaningless when it comes to making claims on whether a whole group of people is racist. The problem with this type of evidence is I can just say "My mom is 70 and she's not racist. There, you're wrong!"

Btw, my mom is 70 and she's not racist. There, you're wrong.

Okay, I don't post much in the P&R forum. And to be honest I don't really follow politics very closely (mostly because it seems like very few, if any, politicians are honest). But these last couple of dayswhew! A lot of people are all up in arms claiming that Donald Trump is a racist. So will someone explain to me why people think he's a racist?

Your personal anecdotes are meaningless when it comes to making claims on whether a whole group of people is racist. The problem with this type of evidence is I can just say "My mom is 70 and she's not racist. There, you're wrong!"

Btw, my mom is 70 and she's not racist. There, you're wrong.

You know, I'd be happy to be wrong in my assertion. But, since it is impossible for me to actually look into the hearts and minds of everyone in that age range and to find out what exactly they think and believe, I'll stick with erring on the side of caution.