Why is Donald Trump a racist?

NUance

It prevents people from having to deal with reality. That's all that argument does for people. What started as perhaps a useful counterbalance to typical media in the GOP media market has grown into full-fledged denialism wherein anything not served up on a silver platter by Fox News or the like is inherently not to be trusted. Just the biased left-wing media at it again. It's a dangerous game, to be sure, when you can dismiss major American news sources like the Times because you simply don't like the source.

A cruel twist of irony, I suppose, that the party of personal responsibility does not like to own the fact that their new leader wrought all this poor media coverage because of things he himself said and did. But sure it is not HIS fault, right? It's got to be somebody else's.

As someone we're all familiar with used to say, that's pointing the finger and not the thumb.

Well, I guess, thank you for telling me what I must've really meant by simply commenting that race relations now, before DJT came on the scene, seem to be much more strained than they were 4 or 8 years ago.

PS: Note to other posters- please refrain from reading things that are not actually included in a person's post. Thanks much in advance.

How are race relations worse today than they were 8 years ago? I said "seem" to be much more strained. They may not be actually worse but more what LOMS is saying below. I don't think there is any questioning that it is much more at the forefront and therefore seems to be worse. However, if anyone thinks they are better, I would sure entertain the explanation.

If they are demonstrably worse, what role, specifically, has Barack Obama played in that? He was/is the President. No specific role in it other than it did not improve under his watch as hoped and the standard for most of these things has little to do with what the President actually does and is usually only related to when he held office. I would also add that just by being the first black President, it caused some backlash reaction with actual racists in this country. Not his fault but just a consequence of his being black.

If they are demonstrably worse, what role, specifically, have White racists played in that? A huge role as that is fairly self explanatory. I would add that black racists also contributed as do all racists.

If they are demonstrably worse, what role, specifically, Conservative America played in that? * Not sure any of it can be contributed to "conservative America" just like it can't be contributed to "liberal or progressive America" so, none.

If they are demonstrably worse, how, specifically, will Barack Obama leaving office help that? It won't.

If they are demonstrably worse, how, specifically, will Donald Trump taking office help that? It won't.

* Note that I specifically split Conservative America and White racists apart. They are not one and the same. Thank you.

Race tensions are high because, suddenly, we're actually paying attention to it, and people are not happy.

It's not that things are actually worse, imo - it's that the flashlight has finally been shone on the dark corners of our country that too many of us thought disappeared after the 60's.

I would agree that much of it is due to the light in the dark corners. And some of it is due to people seeing things in those poorly illuminated shadows that don't really exist. When it comes to these police shooting issues, I have seen just about as many false claims of racism as I have legitimate claims. But, I will acknowledge that if we get rid of the real cases, the false claims should dwindle exponentially.

This is a very reasoned and reasonable response. Which begs the question: If you understand that Obama has nothing to do with racial relations in America, why do you keep mentioning the perception that race relations aren't better under him?

• Fire 1

LOL. I don't even have to. Look at all your left leaning sources...HuffPo, NYTimes, Salon, NBC News, Daily Beast, CNN, NPR, Mother Jones. There are a ton of right leaning orgs that can embarrass the left too. That's what I am saying...you can go around in this stuff forever. If you believe your principles and vote them fine...I respect that. But don't come waiving HuffPo and NYTimes articles. You can argue for a lifetime of who is the "better" person Trump or Clinton. At the end of the day neither had great character IMO. But I am voting for a secular leader and will go with the one who aligns with how I want our government to work in this country. It really makes it quite simple.

Is Fox News a good source?

Immediately following Hillary Clinton’s strongly worded repudiation of Donald Trump and the “alt-right” movement behind his candidacy in Reno, Nevada, on Thursday afternoon, Fox News anchor Shepard Smith suggested it will be difficult for the Republican presidential candidate to escape the charge that he is fundamentally a “racist.” Smith went on to note, “The problem with any attempt to rebut her is that in this case she used Donald Trump’s own words, was historically accurate on his policies, on all reviewed points.” When his guest, Wall Street Journal reporter James Grimaldi, predicted Trump will respond by “trading in hyperbole,” Smith asked, “He trades in racism, doesn’t he?” Grimaldi declined to answer that particular charge, saying he would “leave that up to the commentators.”

LINK

You can only dodge this conversation by burying your head in the sand. That doesn't make Donald Trump not a racist, it makes you uninformed.

• Fire 1

I've actually heard the argument from 2 different Facebook friends that that media manipulates his words by cutting them up and showing them out of context and it's unfair. I feel we're in dangerous times when this many people are this stupid.

(Bit of a segue) We've made huge advances in science but in many ways we've regressed, and the people who don't understand/don't want to believe in science can say whatever they want and are believed by the easily fooled. Some idiot like Trump can stand up in front of a crowd and say there isn't really a drought in California, and people cheer him on.

Racial tensions are high because the internet exists and the problems, while less frequent and severe than ever before, still exist.

This is 100% so true.

It is so simple but so true. Good lord, just look at comments that people leave on YouTube and FB and Instagram and stuff like that...

So many people, White, Black, Brown, Sunburnt, Super Pale where they can't check their mail without sunscreen, Orange because they still use an old tanning bed and even that grayish-green color...are a$$hole$.

Sometimes people forget that a lot of people are just a$$hole$. It isn't education or lack of...it isn't how they were raised or weren't raised...it isn't the job they have or don't have...some people are just a$$hole$.

It is misleading, imo, to blame technology for racial tension. Yes, it is an outlet, but racism is not new and did not and does not need technology to exist.

Racial tensions are high because the internet exists and the problems, while less frequent and severe than ever before, still exist.

This is 100% so true.

It is so simple but so true. Good lord, just look at comments that people leave on YouTube and FB and Instagram and stuff like that...

So many people, White, Black, Brown, Sunburnt, Super Pale where they can't check their mail without sunscreen, Orange because they still use an old tanning bed and even that grayish-green color...are a$$hole$.

Sometimes people forget that a lot of people are just a$$hole$. It isn't education or lack of...it isn't how they were raised or weren't raised...it isn't the job they have or don't have...some people are just a$$hole$.

It is misleading, imo, to blame technology for racial tension. Yes, it is an outlet, but racism is not new and did not and does not need technology to exist.

True that technology does not create racism in people. But technology fans the flames of racial tension. Technology gives people an anonymous voice. And with that voice they become the true asshats who they really are deep down.

I've actually heard the argument from 2 different Facebook friends that that media manipulates his words by cutting them up and showing them out of context and it's unfair. I feel we're in dangerous times when this many people are this stupid.

(Bit of a segue) We've made huge advances in science but in many ways we've regressed, and the people who don't understand/don't want to believe in science can say whatever they want and are believed by the easily fooled. Some idiot like Trump can stand up in front of a crowd and say there isn't really a drought in California, and people cheer him on.

It's because our culture has gone from condemning willful ignorance and mistrust in Federal entities to promoting willful ignorance as a virtue and mistrust in Federal entities as Patriotic.

This is 100% so true.

True that technology does not create racism in people. But technology fans the flames of racial tension. Technology gives people an anonymous voice. And with that voice they become the true asshats who they really are deep down.

Yep!

It works both ways. You have the asshats that post horrible things and you have the asshats that post how perfect their thoughts are compared to others.

He isn't a racist.

After reading months of your drivel supporting Trump of course he's not to you. I suppose this guy isn't either eh?

steve_bannon.jpg?fit=640%2C360

Also what sort of president elect tabs the owner of an alt-right website and then makes him his Chief of Staff and Senior Advisor in his cabinet who in a few months will now be sitting down the hall from the Oval Office???!!!!! Who else but Donald J Trump of course. Your next president...

There is going to be some serious sh&t hitting the fan in the very near future and it's not going to be good for old orange head once he's in office. It's not going to be good for America either. At all and that's a mighty understatement.

It's already painfully clear he's already making decisions and including people in his inner circle/cabinet who have zero business influencing/aiding a President of the United States of America. This sh*t show is only going to get worse. Mark my words.

Again I hope (and pray) that impeachment at some point is an option.

• Fire 3

He is not a racist. He made a comment about Mexico not sending their best but instead we have had criminals come over our border (this is undeniable). The left used this to message that he is a racist. I used to be much into politics but really learned all you need to know from my dad. I fought him for years on this but he always told me "Son, there are only two things you need to do as a politician...1) Get elected/re-elected and 2) Embarrass the other party." If you look at politicians through this lens, you will basically have the answer on 90% of the stuff that has caused so much angst in our country It makes things really simple. Just choose the party that you align with more and go with that. If you want government to be the answer to everything, want redistribution of wealth, lean socially liberal, want abortion, are anti-gun, then vote left...if you want smaller government, lower taxes, are pro business, are socially conservative, pro-life, pro-gun, then vote right. Most the noise surrounding Trump was stupid and just to cause distraction and embarrass him. While Clinton was the most corrupt politician of our lifetime. The protests going on now...much of it noise to embarrass the other side...damn, people are getting paid good $ to protest....this is what you do when you want to embarrass the other side...you pay them to go make a fuss. Stop being a pawn and think for yourself.

So...(Bolded) Your father taught you that politician's job is to get elected/re-elected and embarrass the other side. From that you get that the best advice is to latch onto a party (RED) So...from that, you have obviously latched onto the Republican party, so therefore you believe the (BLUE) .

By hitching your wagon to the Republican party, I'm sure you consume their media that is, I'm sure, unbiased and tells it like it is....while at the same time believe all those liberal media outlets just lie and don't tell the truth.

• Fire 2

Here's liberal rag Salon being more than fair about some of Donald Trump's comments and how they are reported in the media, from Dec 2015.

I agree with at least a good part of it. I think he's right in arguing there's a lack of nuance. I think he's being far too accommodating on the other hand, but I understand this was December 2015; at that time, this narrow and forgiving analysis was perhaps a stronger one.

I was almost going to throw up a new thread about this, but it may as well fit here.

Guardian: We need to talk about the online radicalisation of young, white men.

It's like ISIS. But the battlefield is political.

In modern parlance, this is part of the phenomenon known as the alt-right. More sympathetic commentators portray it as a backlash to PC culture and critics call it out as neofascism. Over the past year, it has been strange to see the disturbing internet subculture Ive followed for so long enter the mainstream. The executive chairman of one of its most popular media outlets, Breitbart, has just been appointed Donald Trumps chief of strategy, and their UK bureau chief was among the first Brits to have a meeting with the president-elect. Their figurehead Milo Yiannopoulos toured the country stumping for him during the campaign on his Dangerous f****t tour. These people are now part of the political landscape.

On their forums Ive read long, furious manifestos claiming that women are all sluts who ride the c$%k carousel and sleep with a series of alpha males until they reach the end of their sexual prime, at which point they seek out a beta cuck to settle down with for financial security. Ive lurked silently on blogs dedicated to pick-up artistry as men argue that uppity, opinionated, feminist women women like myself need to be put in their place through corrective rape.