Where I'm at after 2 years... (TL;DR)

Redux

Good OP post. I'm probably more optimistic than most. We beat the teams we should beat and were one play from beating Wisconsin. I didn't expect us to be Ohio State good, though I hoped it would be somewhat of a contest. Our defense improved significantly and it goes hand in hand with the offense keeping the ball rolling and keeping them fresh. Hopefully we stop the 1st string savior worship at the QB position and have O'Brien, Lee, and Gebbia ready to play. If those guys turn out to be Peyton Mannings then we'll be able to utilize the talent we have coming back properly. We have some super seniors leaving who will be missed ,but that's college ball...we say that every year.Special teams was a train wreck that you'd think can only get better. All in all I think we have a lot of reasons to keep our head up.

84Husker, I believe that once we get a QB that can consistently hit open receivers, you'll start to see those 40-50 point games instead of 20s. Not trying to let Langsdorf completely off the hook, but yesterday was a prime example of how many points our QBs have left off the board in recent seasons.

Watched McSorley from PSU, dropping YOLO's all game. He hits those 50/50 balls. Watson putting on a clinic now with those throws. TA is nowhere near tha accurate thrower either one above is yet Langs has plays where you'd think TA was. That's what kills me. Against Maryland, it really looked like Langs knew what Fyfe was capable of and called that. With a broken up TA who was throwing less than 40% on the road Langs dials up passes he can't throw and throws almost 40 times.......

lo country,

I have no idea, that is why I am asking. How do you or anyone else know they were 40 yard pass plays. How do you know that Tommy did not decide to just go for the goal posts. It seems to me over the last 4 years is that is what Tommy does. Pays little attention to the under routes, the open receivers. He wants the glory of the big TD and places that in front of winning the game with shorter routes.

Not trying to be a smart ass, I just can not imagine that a OC who has done this for years, looks at Tommy and his past and says, yea we need to throw the deep ball a lot.

I know he has won some games for us doing that, but I wonder how many of those were truly called for that purpose and the purpose only. Ignoring check downs and going for the endzone. He seems to do it lot to me.

• Fire 1

I am also optimistic about next year. I think another strong recruiting class, and beefing up our lines will help. Also like someone else mentioned, although Tommy is a warrior and won us a lot of games I am interested to see how a true QB does in this offense. Riley and Co. have a proven track record of doing good things with pro-style QBs.

• Fire 1

lo country,

I have no idea, that is why I am asking. How do you or anyone else know they were 40 yard pass plays. How do you know that Tommy did not decide to just go for the goal posts. It seems to me over the last 4 years is that is what Tommy does. Pays little attention to the under routes, the open receivers. He wants the glory of the big TD and places that in front of winning the game with shorter routes.

Not trying to be a smart ass, I just can not imagine that a OC who has done this for years, looks at Tommy and his past and says, yea we need to throw the deep ball a lot.

I know he has won some games for us doing that, but I wonder how many of those were truly called for that purpose and the purpose only. Ignoring check downs and going for the endzone. He seems to do it lot to me.

That's is exactly what I think too. Can't see Langsdorf calling all those passes, like in the OT loss at Wisconsin. Armstrong was just not a good passer but he won many games for us with his legs.

Keep in mind, regardless of how easy it is to get restless and frustrated that we still haven't broken the ceiling of the last 13-15 years, Riley is still trending up. He deserves support and trust until that stops. There's still a lot to like and be excited about, even if there's also plenty to hope will somehow get better against the odds of the last decade.

Keep in mind, regardless of how easy it is to get restless and frustrated that we still haven't broken the ceiling of the last 13-15 years, Riley is still trending up. He deserves support and trust until that stops. There's still a lot to like and be excited about, even if there's also plenty to hope will somehow get better against the odds of the last decade.

Riley is "trending up" because the team was so gosh darn awful last year. The results we saw this year were basically the same results Bo had the last 2 years of his tenure. How is that a trend line pointing up? It's pretty much a flat line with a dip in 2015.

Riley is "trending up" because the team was so gosh darn awful last year. The results we saw this year were basically the same results Bo had the last 2 years of his tenure. How is that a trend line pointing up? It's pretty much a flat line with a dip in 2015.

Hopefully you'll get the answer to that next year when the team more closely resembles what this staff wants it to be.

Mike Riley is trending up. That's what I claimed. Not that our program is trending up over the last 9 years.

2015 sucked. 2016 was much better. That's a trend up for our program under this staff. Those are Riley's only years thus far. He deserves the backing of this fanbase as long as that continues.

• Fire 1

O-line is the most important part of upcoming teams. John Elway couldn't complete 40% of his passes with our current line play. Address the real issues, then find a QB/running game to play on the field. Need a QB, but need a running game to offset and balance the field. Right now honestly we didn't have much of either in losses, and run heavy won the games we did win.

Trending up............sure. Soft schedule, right games on the road and home, should equal 8-9 wins. This should have happened last year. QB play has to upgrade. First possession INT's for TD's deflates a teams will quickly. That was what doomed the Huskers so fast in Columbus. They never had a chance. It was taken at the start. Everyone panicked. Coaching was very suspect in that game, and thats a game that you have to have your A+ game if your a coach. They panicked, team responded in same manner. Can't adjust when things go south. Same thing for Pelini and his staff. So was it an upgrade? Are things truly different? I am asking because I don't really see it that way yet. Don't think a new coach would solve many issues, but I do think that everyone knows Riley won't get this program over the hump. Lame duck seasons upcoming, my friends. Wait and see approach will slowly swallow this program into an era of "complete mediocrity". Thats what I seen coming. 8-9 wins a year and the usual beatdowns by Ohio St, Michigan, Wisky and maybe others.

O-line is the most important part of upcoming teams. John Elway couldn't complete 40% of his passes with our current line play.

We're 5th in the nation in sacks allowed.. :dunno:

And Armstrong is 107th in pass completion percentage out of 108 QBs. The sacks allowed statistic is all based upon Tommy's ability to scramble.

http://www.ncaa.com/stats/football/fbs/current/individual/755/p3

• Fire 1