What must the 2017 team do

We all know that this is Riley's swan song. He is getting a chance to coach at a power 5 school with tradition. We all know that he will not remove anyone from his staff. Banker and Langsdorf are not capable of winning more than 9 games a year, whether here or at Beaver U.

The upside is that I think Riley will see the writing on the wall after next season and retire. I think that the pressure of coaching here is going to get to him. I don't think his metal will continue. I think he is a good guy, and can coach football, but not at this level. I think if he could win another 9 games next year, he has us on track to become more relevant.

I just don't see that he will ever get us to the Big 10 title game and beyond. He definately won't with his coordinators presently. I new d-co would help ease some questions.

I agree with everything you said except MR retiring. At his age, and with his good health, he is looking at a long retirement. I wouldn't expect him to give up the money on his contract. IMO, he will have to fired to get him to leave.

I don't think he will retire...I think he will "retire"

If next year is lame, 6 wins, a few blowouts...I can see it going down like this...

He tells the AD that maybe this isn't the best fit, the AD agrees. They both want to make it look good so they come up with a plan where Mike says he wants to retire and him and his wife want to enjoy their retirement in some paint free city. AD is okay with it and they decide to so some sort of buyout.

I haven't seen it mentioned yet so I'll throw it out: We need a punter. We had arguably the most erratic punting in the nation this year. A 50 yarder one time, and then a 5 yard punt. :facepalm:

If Lightbourne can improve and be the guy, well great. If not, we need to add the services of someone who can.

I just don't see us winning more than 7 games next year if Lee is the starter.

Why? Because he is a transfer from Tulane?

If he is the best Quarterback and wins the job why would 7 wins be the ceiling?

His stats at Tulane weren't very good, but he didn't have a great team around him.

Lee could have great talent, good arm, and be able to read defenses, but I'm more worried about the guys he is going to be throwing to and the o-line's ability to protect him.

His stats at Tulane weren't very good, but he didn't have a great team around him.

Lee could have great talent, good arm, and be able to read defenses, but I'm more worried about the guys he is going to be throwing to and the o-line's ability to protect him.

Yes the O-Line is concerning and the WR corps takes a hit.

But he is suggesting that Lee specifically is the reason we would only win 7 if he starts.

Yes the O-Line is concerning and the WR corps takes a hit.

But he is suggesting that Lee specifically is the reason we would only win 7 if he starts.

The last time yards/rushing attempt were so low -- 2007, Callahan's last year. That has to improve and it starts with the O-line.

Ok I'm going to post each position group and a trend either up (+) down(-) or neutral(=) for next year, let's see if you all agree.

QB(=) to me, QB play will improve next year overall, but we lose Tommy's playmaking ability and experience, not to mention our depth situation won't be too much better next year. Neutral

RB(+) I like our backs. Yes we lose Newby, but Bryant really finished strong, I love Ozigbos skill set and I think Wilbon could make a bigger impact next year, kind of gives you a similar skillet to Newby. I think these guys will continue to improve and a fierce battle next year will sharpen them up even further. Up

FB(+) believe we still have Mcnitt and Ben Miles will add depth and talent. Up

WR(-) first position group I think we will see a definite step back. We lose 3 big playmakers with alot of experience. We will miss Reilly and Westy the most, Moore may have the most NFL success. Anyway we will still be ok. Morgan Jr. may become better than any of those guys, he finished strong. I'll be happy to see DPE more involved in the pass game and signing a certain 5*recruit will help us as well. But overall we are losing more than we will gain at this position.

TE(-) we lose our best TE in years and 2 other contributors I believe. We will need young guys to step up

OL(+) most likely we lose only 1 contributer here, alot of talent coming off redshirt, 3 returning starters will be juniors next year. Should be better in both the depth and talent department next season

DL(=) we have young talent at DT, I like Freedom and think he will progress. Maurice will be a big loss and we need another d end. At the end of the day we will likely be no better or worse next year.

LB(=) Bando is a big loss. MRI not so much. Young, Newby, and Weber are good players and I expect them to progress. I'm excited to see Barry. We will likely be about like we were this year, slow start stronger finish.

DB(+) we do lose possibly our best player, but have everyone else back from a secondary that was fantastic at times, pretty bad at others. Alot of young talent here and we should see that develop next year.

• Fire 1

Better O-line play is the #1 priority; and it's not even close. We don't match up with the top dogs in our own conference when it comes to the lines, but the talent disparity on the O-line, specifically, is Enormous. I may even venture to say that it didn't match up even against the mediocre of the conference (One can make the argument that Minn & Ind. had better O-lines; at least more consistent).

Maybe we need a change in the Strength & Conditioning dept. as our lines have seemed to be out-manned the past couple years.

• Fire 2

Ok I'm going to post each position group and a trend either up (+) down(-) or neutral(=) for next year, let's see if you all agree.

QB(=) to me, QB play will improve next year overall, but we lose Tommy's playmaking ability and experience, not to mention our depth situation won't be too much better next year. Neutral

RB(+) I like our backs. Yes we lose Newby, but Bryant really finished strong, I love Ozigbos skill set and I think Wilbon could make a bigger impact next year, kind of gives you a similar skillet to Newby. I think these guys will continue to improve and a fierce battle next year will sharpen them up even further. Up

FB(+) believe we still have Mcnitt and Ben Miles will add depth and talent. Up

WR(-) first position group I think we will see a definite step back. We lose 3 big playmakers with alot of experience. We will miss Reilly and Westy the most, Moore may have the most NFL success. Anyway we will still be ok. Morgan Jr. may become better than any of those guys, he finished strong. I'll be happy to see DPE more involved in the pass game and signing a certain 5*recruit will help us as well. But overall we are losing more than we will gain at this position.

TE(-) we lose our best TE in years and 2 other contributors I believe. We will need young guys to step up

OL(+) most likely we lose only 1 contributer here, alot of talent coming off redshirt, 3 returning starters will be juniors next year. Should be better in both the depth and talent department next season

DL(=) we have young talent at DT, I like Freedom and think he will progress. Maurice will be a big loss and we need another d end. At the end of the day we will likely be no better or worse next year.

LB(=) Bando is a big loss. MRI not so much. Young, Newby, and Weber are good players and I expect them to progress. I'm excited to see Barry. We will likely be about like we were this year, slow start stronger finish.

DB(+) we do lose possibly our best player, but have everyone else back from a secondary that was fantastic at times, pretty bad at others. Alot of young talent here and we should see that develop next year.

I agree on all. Nice job