Good grief

mwj98

I don't think next year is make or break for Riley. It will really be the first season of getting his pieces in place.

But if that's not paying off in 2018....yeah, the seat's hot.

I agree - I'm personally not ready to say it's a "make or break" type year, which to me has always suggested either he reaches an important goal or gets fired.

The question will be how much leeway the coaches are given. Do they receive a considerable amount of slack given they're breaking in a brand new starting quarterback, have some questions on the lines, lose WR depth and have to replace Nate Gerry? Or, do people end up looking at those thing as just excuses rather reasons?

I do know most of the starters next year will either be Riley recruits or will have spent just as much time (if not more) training under Riley than they did Pelini.

At this point it's hard to say whether next year will be a "make or break" year but I'm willing to bet if we go .500 or worse, Riley's seat gets very warm.

• Fire 1

Seriously... Is winning them all asking too much? If the answer is yes, then we have the wrong guy. I don't understand what happened in the past 20 years except that losing has become part of the way and I think that is just plain weak.

Winning them all is not asking too much.

Getting pissy because we don't win them all in year 1 or 2 and assuming that asking to win them all is too much is too much.

• Fire 1

Seriously... Is winning them all asking too much? If the answer is yes, then we have the wrong guy. I don't understand what happened in the past 20 years except that losing has become part of the way and I think that is just plain weak.

Getting pissy because we don't win them all in year 1 or 2 and assuming that asking to win them all is too much is too much.

I think there is only a few who really feel this way. A fraction of a percent. All I want is to stop getting blown out. 59 to ohio st and 30 to iowa... iowa. That shouldn't happen. And I hope it doesn't happen any more from this point. A finally, there is no reason nebraska can't win the division every 2 to 3 years and win a conference championship every 4 or 5 years. If Wisconsin can do it, so can Nebraska.

If Riley doesn't win the division in the next two years, I don't see him being around for that 5th season.

• Fire 1

No, it's not to much to ask, but you probably won't get it very often.

I understand what happened. A Hall of Fame coach retired and we've been unable to replace him since.

I think there is only a few who really feel this way. A fraction of a percent. All I want is to stop getting blown out. 59 to ohio st and 30 to iowa... iowa. That shouldn't happen. And I hope it doesn't happen any more from this point. A finally, there is no reason nebraska can't win the division every 2 to 3 years and win a conference championship every 4 or 5 years. If Wisconsin can do it, so can Nebraska.

If Riley doesn't win the division in the next two years, I don't see him being around for that 5th season.

We've been far behind the curveball talent-wise to Ohio State for a while now. Pelini's greatest comeback (and NU's GOAT) was against Ohio St but people forget that before Braxton Miller went down in that game, we were being boat raced.

Yeah. It's too much to ask.

It's not just Nebraska getting squeezed out over the last 20 years. There are a lot more football programs demanding excellence and competing for what may be a dwindling number of game-changing recruits.

You know all the unsatisfying 9 win seasons we've had of late? Tom Osborne had them, too, for the first 20 years of his career. They were still good enough to keep the Huskers ranked because the competition wasn't as deep as it is today. By your standards we should have been tired of Tom Osborne's weak sauce around his fifth season. A lot of people were.

I think there are 128 teams out there. Some years nobody wins them all. Not even Alabama. Every team we think we'd like to be has a fan board bitching about what they'd do differently and who they should have hired and fired. Everybody's goal is to win them all, but 127 teams will go away disappointed.

Yeah. It's too much to ask.

It's not just Nebraska getting squeezed out over the last 20 years. There are a lot more football programs demanding excellence and competing for what may be a dwindling number of game-changing recruits.

You know all the unsatisfying 9 win seasons we've had of late? Tom Osborne had them, too, for the first 20 years of his career. They were still good enough to keep the Huskers ranked because the competition wasn't as deep as it is today. By your standards we should have been tired of Tom Osborne's weak sauce around his fifth season. A lot of people were.

I think there are 128 teams out there. Some years nobody wins them all. Not even Alabama. Every team we think we'd like to be has a fan board bitching about what they'd do differently and who they should have hired and fired. Everybody's goal is to win them all, but 127 teams will go away disappointed.

Well ol wise sage it was alot easier to swallow those 9 win seasons when you show up in the big games and represent and then usually wind up in the top 10 at the end of the yr. That is a far cry from the black hole of mediocrity we are circling now. Oh and btw the competition was plenty tough back then. I know I was around.

I don't think next year is make or break for Riley. It will really be the first season of getting his pieces in place.

But if that's not paying off in 2018....yeah, the seat's hot.

I agree - I'm personally not ready to say it's a "make or break" type year, which to me has always suggested either he reaches an important goal or gets fired.

The question will be how much leeway the coaches are given. Do they receive a considerable amount of slack given they're breaking in a brand new starting quarterback, have some questions on the lines, lose WR depth and have to replace Nate Gerry? Or, do people end up looking at those thing as just excuses rather reasons?

I do know most of the starters next year will either be Riley recruits or will have spent just as much time (if not more) training under Riley than they did Pelini.

I don't mean "win or get fired" by make or break. It's more of a "this is gonna be what his tenure is" by year 3.

We're competing against 13 other teams in the conference and 6 others in our division in the Big 10. If we can't set our expectations as fans to win our division every 2 to 3 years and our conference every 4 to 5 then we really are setting the bar pretty low.

Oh how far Nebraska has fallen. I feel like I remember hearing that excuse by fans who wanted Pelini gone. Including myself.

• Fire 1

We're competing against 13 other teams in the conference and 6 others in our division in the Big 10. If we can't set our expectations as fans to win our division every 2 to 3 years and our conference every 4 to 5 then we really are setting the bar pretty low.

Oh how far Nebraska has fallen. I feel like I remember hearing that excuse by fans who wanted Pelini gone. Including myself.

I honestly believe that we should be in the hunt EVERY year to win our division if not win it every other year or two
  • Fire 1