Going forward

Moving forward, I just want to fast forward to 2019 with a new coach, someone who comes with a winning record and mentality, not an aging average coach who has come to get some big money to retire and do absolutely nothing for this football team. I am really tired of these failed experiments. If it were up to me, I would go and get Les Miles right now and end this failed experiment. Unfortunately, we have to endure two more years of this same bullsh#t.

Sorry, but I'm not buying the OP's sunshine and rainbows bull**** dance. We have a staff that regressed as the season wore on, couldn't get kids motivated, and isn't (so far) getting the job done on the recruiting trail.

And frankly, when you have schools (e.g. Washington...that is playing in the Peach Bowl as I type this) that can turn things around in three years...yeah, progress in Year 3 should happen, and fans would be more than justified in tossing Riley, Eichorst, et al out if there isn't substantial progress (read: Division Champion or better). Especially when there is better out there and when money will no longer be a (valid) excuse.

Don't forget we get our full share starting next season from the B1G. There's zero excuse to cheapen out or use Bo and Riley's buyout as a reason not to take action.

We really don't need that great of a recruiting class. You get those high rankings by getting the flashy speedster, WR's, RB's and QB's. Nebraska has very talented RB's and WR's. The QB situation is really baffling that Nebraska can't get a legit solid quarterback, but that is a wait and see with this staff.

Really it's simple. Go out and get the nastiest, biggest, most determined offensive and defensive lines. You can have average playmakers, that can do great things behind a brick wall.

Sorry, but I'm not buying the OP's sunshine and rainbows bull**** dance. We have a staff that regressed as the season wore on, couldn't get kids motivated, and isn't (so far) getting the job done on the recruiting trail.

And frankly, when you have schools (e.g. Washington...that is playing in the Peach Bowl as I type this) that can turn things around in three years...yeah, progress in Year 3 should happen, and fans would be more than justified in tossing Riley, Eichorst, et al out if there isn't substantial progress (read: Division Champion or better). Especially when there is better out there and when money will no longer be a (valid) excuse.

Don't forget we get our full share starting next season from the B1G. There's zero excuse to cheapen out or use Bo and Riley's buyout as a reason not to take action.

Given we got fortunate in getting the B1G West, we SHOULD be competing for divisional titles every year, and probably winning division titles most the time, but just like the Big 12 North, we can't seem to win it even though it is the much easier division of the two in the conference.

1.) Money shouldn't have been an issue when hiring Riley given the financial support the University has. 2.) Doesn't Riley's buyout cheapen with each passing year? So after next year it would be rather cheap?

I am increasingly skeptical that this HC has what it takes to build a national powerhouse. I am sick of hearing how much he did with so little at Oregon State. There is a difference between making a basement team competitive and building a program that is mentioned in the same breath as current day Michigan, Ohio State, Clemson, etc. Yes, he should be allowed to field seasons of the men he actually recruited. The next two years will be very telling, starting with the aforementioned O line and QB questions.

I am increasingly skeptical that this HC has what it takes to build a national powerhouse. I am sick of hearing how much he did with so little at Oregon State. There is a difference between making a basement team competitive and building a program that is mentioned in the same breath as current day Michigan, Ohio State, Clemson, etc. Yes, he should be allowed to field seasons of the men he actually recruited. The next two years will be very telling, starting with the aforementioned O line and QB questions.

Maybe, just maybe, Nebraska isn't as appealing to recruits as we all think it is or should be. We all love this program and would run through a brick wall for Nebraska if given the privilege of wearing the N helmet, because we are fans and understand what this program and team means to us.

But really, in 2016, what does Nebraska have that appeals to these top end recruits? In the 90's when we were dominating, we had the advantage of having the best facilities, and the uniqueness of an offense. But here we are in 2016 where everyone has awesome facilities, and many unique and fun offenses are out there.

I know it's been talked about that why would a top recruited athlete from Florida, Texas or California want to come to Nebraska when they get offers from the SEC, USC, etc. We also haven't won a lot of games to put us on the map of relevancy in awhile. 9-4 type seasons get lost in the landscape of college football.

Maybe Nebraska needs to aim their focus on the type of kids with chips on their shoulders. Maybe they aren't the fastest kids, but have the heart and work ethic to go out there and prove everyone wrong. Wyoming seems to do this with recruiting Nebraska kids and always give us a tough game when they play us.

Let's go into Ohio, and Michigan and get the kids Ohio State and Michigan overlooked and didn't want. Are they going to be the biggest guys? No, but at least they will show heart, which I feel has lacked in games like Iowa. Also players refusing to let Ohio State hang 62 on them.

And even though Nebraska may not produce the most D-1 athletes, if there are any D-1 recruits in Nebraska, you shouldn't let them leave the state and they should play for Nebraska.

I think in order for Nebraska to get back to the top, it has to be different, like it was in the 80's and 90's. It needs to have the nasty Offensive Line where they simply refuse to get pushed around and have the sense of pride that getting 3-4 yards a carry is showing their dominance over their opponent. It needs players who refuse to get beat, and if they do get beat once, they'll refuse to get beat twice. Players who understand things are earned and not given and putting endless hours in the weight room and film room to get bigger and smarter. Players who go to practice each day with the desire and hunger to get better. Players who push their teammates to the limits knowing it will benefit them and their teammate.

Granted this post is extremely contradictory to what many, myself included, have said that Nebraska simply doesn't have the talent level of the Ohio States of the world. But I am not so certain teams like Wisconsin do either or had in the 2006-2013 years, yet they had what it took to beat those teams, win the conference, or at least hang with any respectable program in the country.

Maybe, just maybe, Nebraska isn't as appealing to recruits as we all think it is or should be. We all love this program and would run through a brick wall for Nebraska if given the privilege of wearing the N helmet, because we are fans and understand what this program and team means to us.

But really, in 2016, what does Nebraska have that appeals to these top end recruits? In the 90's when we were dominating, we had the advantage of having the best facilities, and the uniqueness of an offense. But here we are in 2016 where everyone has awesome facilities, and many unique and fun offenses are out there.

I know it's been talked about that why would a top recruited athlete from Florida, Texas or California want to come to Nebraska when they get offers from the SEC, USC, etc. We also haven't won a lot of games to put us on the map of relevancy in awhile. 9-4 type seasons get lost in the landscape of college football.

Maybe Nebraska needs to aim their focus on the type of kids with chips on their shoulders. Maybe they aren't the fastest kids, but have the heart and work ethic to go out there and prove everyone wrong. Wyoming seems to do this with recruiting Nebraska kids and always give us a tough game when they play us.

Let's go into Ohio, and Michigan and get the kids Ohio State and Michigan overlooked and didn't want. Are they going to be the biggest guys? No, but at least they will show heart, which I feel has lacked in games like Iowa. Also players refusing to let Ohio State hang 62 on them.

And even though Nebraska may not produce the most D-1 athletes, if there are any D-1 recruits in Nebraska, you shouldn't let them leave the state and they should play for Nebraska.

I think in order for Nebraska to get back to the top, it has to be different, like it was in the 80's and 90's. It needs to have the nasty Offensive Line where they simply refuse to get pushed around and have the sense of pride that getting 3-4 yards a carry is showing their dominance over their opponent. It needs players who refuse to get beat, and if they do get beat once, they'll refuse to get beat twice. Players who understand things are earned and not given and putting endless hours in the weight room and film room to get bigger and smarter. Players who go to practice each day with the desire and hunger to get better. Players who push their teammates to the limits knowing it will benefit them and their teammate.

Granted this post is extremely contradictory to what many, myself included, have said that Nebraska simply doesn't have the talent level of the Ohio States of the world. But I am not so certain teams like Wisconsin do either or had in the 2006-2013 years, yet they had what it took to beat those teams, win the conference, or at least hang with any respectable program in the country

Nebraska is lacking one thing..coaches top lineman recruits want to play for....everything else is in place...

just look at VB...you really think those kids don't want to be in sunny CA, FL AZ?

they wanna win and learn from the best.

those lineman will come here, give them the reason to...

again, id start up front...Oz will be running 7 yards per carry

Schematically, we need a more diverse ground game. Running straight at a D Line doesn't yield great results no matter how good the back is and no matter how poor the line is.

We also need a much improved pass rush. QB's are more than comfortable against us, that's a travesty.

We need better O line play. Doesn't matter who is back there slinging it, without time even the best passer will fall.

We need passion. Hopefully this begins next year. I'm giving it to the mid-way poiny of 2017 to see something that gives me hope.

• Fire 1

Granted this post is extremely contradictory to what many, myself included, have said that Nebraska simply doesn't have the talent level of the Ohio States of the world. But I am not so certain teams like Wisconsin do either or had in the 2006-2013 years, yet they had what it took to beat those teams, win the conference, or at least hang with any respectable program in the country.

I completely agree.

Granted this post is extremely contradictory to what many, myself included, have said that Nebraska simply doesn't have the talent level of the Ohio States of the world. But I am not so certain teams like Wisconsin do either or had in the 2006-2013 years, yet they had what it took to beat those teams, win the conference, or at least hang with any respectable program in the country

Nebraska is lacking one thing..coaches top lineman recruits want to play for....everything else is in place...

just look at VB...you really think those kids don't want to be in sunny CA, FL AZ?

they wanna win and learn from the best.

those lineman will come here, give them the reason to...

again, id start up front...Oz will be running 7 yards per carry

I wish I shared your optimism that it was a single issue.