What's Behind the Staff Changes

Mavric

Reports are there was a lot of chatter about coaching changes at the AFCA convention. Word is there is a lot of pressure to win in 2017 and the thinking is the coaches we had weren't going to get it done.

My take is the pressure to make changes - at least to some extent - is coming from Eichorst. But my guess would be it's Devaney in Riley's ear that put it over the top. Coming from the NFL, Devaney would know what kind of schemes are really built to work and what things only work at Oregon State. And he would also know that you can't just sit around and hope things get better. If the results aren't there, you make a change.

And if that's the case the move to get Davaney on staff may be paying off in a big way.

The involvement of Devaney is what makes me think the new DC will have an NFL connection. Riley's last few hires have been out of left field, so it should be interesting where they go.

So my question is - Does the new DC have the right to hire all new D assistants or is that still a MR call? :dunno Could some of the other D assistants jobs be at risk? If so, who else on the D needs to go if anyone?

After the recruiting bust last week and ending the season the way we did, I was pretty bummed about next year. This to me is a ray of hope that the administration gets it that they need to pay for success. Let it start wt the DC.

Not sure we'll definitively find out soon, but, either way, it's still a step in the right direction for Nebraska. This move shows that we're serious about returning to championship caliber football.

It's Les Miles isn't it! Wait, Scott Frost! No, it has to be Miles!!! Is it a relative of Sarrell, Lewis, or Darnay???

First, I am fairly excited to see a new DC. I have never been on board with Banker and Read needed to go, based on results or lack of.

To answer question: Shawn Eichorst is directly behind the staff changes. Eichorst future with Nebraska is based solely on the success of the football team. Whether for /against the coaching change, it was a hotly debated issue. When he brought in MR, many Nebraska fans and national media, were less than impressed.

If MR doesn't pan out, it will be completely on Eichorst and he is well aware that his job and legacy depends on this. He flat out said in interviews that our talent level needs to increase. Ironically, 3 of our least productive recruiters are gone. Eichorst is on the sideline and inside the player's box every game, more than any other A.D. I have ever seen (Maybe Pat Hayden). He acts like Jerry Jones used to with Dallas. I can't believe how much freedom he uses and abuses. He does it because he understands this is his legacy.

Now, MR is willing to listen and try, regardless of "Friendships". This is were the previous staff didn't respond. MR isn't too proud or egotistical to cut bait, admit a bad hire and try to rectify the situation. MR understands he has to win.

** All in all, I think the change is good, and regardless of who is behind those decisions, it is being done to win games and to save jobs. If this happens, we will all be happy !

Do you have some sort of inside info on this. I am sure SE was part of the process, but I doubt that he went to MR and said you have to fire Banker.

I have some inside info yes, but from people who associate with the athletic department and have with SE. He does things his way. Not saying it is bad...that is for everyone's own opinion.

I think he does have a big say. This is why Bo is no longer here. Bo wouldn't conform to some things SE wanted changed. MR is doing what he and his boss believe the program needs.

** There is no hiding the fact that SE takes a very active role, if people just watch and listen to his comments.

BP is no longer at NU because Perlman and SE didn't want him here. It is a big difference to fire the HC and to flat out tell a HC how to run his staff and team. As I said I have no doubt that SE has had input into the situation, but I doubt he flat out came out and said you need to get rid of Banker now. Do I think SE discussed what he thought would help the program and he may have thought the DC position was a problem, probably.

I just don't think it was a you need to fire Banker now or else type of thing.

• Fire 1

I think Riley like many of us thought that with better talent Banker would put together better defenses. But his defenses got exposed on numerous occasions against teams that it shouldn't have.

Facing the teams that we do in the west there is no reason to not have a top 15 defense. The offenses are that bad. I am extremely happy that Riley, Eichorst, or Devaney are not content and looking for improvement.

• Fire 2

First, I am fairly excited to see a new DC. I have never been on board with Banker and Read needed to go, based on results or lack of.

To answer question: Shawn Eichorst is directly behind the staff changes. Eichorst future with Nebraska is based solely on the success of the football team. Whether for /against the coaching change, it was a hotly debated issue. When he brought in MR, many Nebraska fans and national media, were less than impressed.

If MR doesn't pan out, it will be completely on Eichorst and he is well aware that his job and legacy depends on this. He flat out said in interviews that our talent level needs to increase. Ironically, 3 of our least productive recruiters are gone. Eichorst is on the sideline and inside the player's box every game, more than any other A.D. I have ever seen (Maybe Pat Hayden). He acts like Jerry Jones used to with Dallas. I can't believe how much freedom he uses and abuses. He does it because he understands this is his legacy.

Now, MR is willing to listen and try, regardless of "Friendships". This is were the previous staff didn't respond. MR isn't too proud or egotistical to cut bait, admit a bad hire and try to rectify the situation. MR understands he has to win.

** All in all, I think the change is good, and regardless of who is behind those decisions, it is being done to win games and to save jobs. If this happens, we will all be happy !

Do you have some sort of inside info on this. I am sure SE was part of the process, but I doubt that he went to MR and said you have to fire Banker.

I have some inside info yes, but from people who associate with the athletic department and have with SE. He does things his way. Not saying it is bad...that is for everyone's own opinion.

I think he does have a big say. This is why Bo is no longer here. Bo wouldn't conform to some things SE wanted changed. MR is doing what he and his boss believe the program needs.

** There is no hiding the fact that SE takes a very active role, if people just watch and listen to his comments.

BP is no longer at NU because Perlman and SE didn't want him here. It is a big difference to fire the HC and to flat out tell a HC how to run his staff and team. As I said I have no doubt that SE has had input into the situation, but I doubt he flat out came out and said you need to get rid of Banker now. Do I think SE discussed what he thought would help the program and he may have thought the DC position was a problem, probably.

I am not saying that SE said "Banker or You"..... put I am sure it was suggested that changes needed to take place and MR decided Banker was the guy.

Despite all of the stones being turned over to find something to still be less than enthusiastic about, here's the reality.

It's been 14 years since we've seen this specific kind of thing at NU - namely, a head coach willing (or forced, whatever) to cut off dead weight in pursuit of excellence. Solich did it to good effect, but it was too little too late, Callahan never did it, Pelini never did it. It's been a long time since we've been used to our staff/admin taking it this seriously, and that's definitely reason for optimism.

• Fire 2

Despite all of the stones being turned over to find something to still be less than enthusiastic about, here's the reality.

It's been 14 years since we've seen this specific kind of thing at NU - namely, a head coach willing (or forced, whatever) to cut off dead weight in pursuit of excellence. Solich did it to good effect, but it was too little too late, Callahan never did it, Pelini never did it. It's been a long time since we've been used to our staff/admin taking it this seriously, and that's definitely reason for optimism.

This is incorrect. Pelini let Watson and WR coach go. Can't think of his name right now.

• Fire 1

Why would Eichorst pick on banker? Our defense was ranked 30th and our offense was ranked 90th? WITH A SENIOR QB. Why is riley getting so much credit for firing Banker? Cavanaugh still has a job and that is the teams BIGGEST WEAKNESS

I'm not sure many coaches could do too much better with what he had to work with. Now if it's the same story next year, with what should be a MUCH improved o-line, I think Riley has shown he'll get rid of him.

This is incorrect. Pelini let Watson and WR coach go. Can't think of his name right now.
Doing it then hiring your buddies who have zero experience is not the same.
  • Fire 7

Doing it then hiring you buddies who have zero experience is not the same.

Plus unlike Solich and Riley, Bo had no history with either Watson or Ted Gilmore.

Pelini didn't want Watson in the first place but agreed to keep him on to help the transition from Callahan's staff, and Bo was still incredibly loyal by making sure that Watson fell into a good job and wasn't "fired". Watson was also pretty good.

Same with Gilmore. He was a Callahan guy that left with Watson, and his next job was as receivers coach for USC, where he was named receivers coach of the year.

Neither of these situations are at all what I'm referring to, especially when their replacements were Tim Beck being promoted and Rich Fisher being hired.

I am not saying that SE said "Banker or You"..... put I am sure it was suggested that changes needed to take place and MR decided Banker was the guy.

Fair enough, but in you initial post you said SE is directly behind the staff Changes which in my view is SE basically telling MR to get rid of Banker. If the thought wasn't in MR mnd I doubt he would have done it.