Bob Diaco - New Defensive Coordinator

Fun Fact:

Riley has been coaching for as long as Diaco has been alive.

Not quite. Riley was still a player at Bama when Diaco was born.

Yep, you're right.

An article said Riley had been coaching for 43 years (Diaco's age). But it looks like he started in '75 so they were stretching a bit.

Not sure if this has been talked about but any chance we see some 4-3 against spread teams? Not sure if Bama still runs any 3-4 but I know back in 2013 that was their base D and moved to a 4-3 look when teams went spread.

Diacos 3-4 has some 4-2-5 concepts. It all comes down to how he views our OLBs imo. If one of our OLBs can cover or is a converted safety etc i wouldnt see us changing. Again he uses 4-2-5 concepts in his defense so it wouldnt shock me if we had packages that reflected such

Not sure if this has been talked about but any chance we see some 4-3 against spread teams? Not sure if Bama still runs any 3-4 but I know back in 2013 that was their base D and moved to a 4-3 look when teams went spread.

Diacos 3-4 has some 4-2-5 concepts. It all comes down to how he views our OLBs imo. If one of our OLBs can cover or is a converted safety etc i wouldnt see us changing. Again he uses 4-2-5 concepts in his defense so it wouldnt shock me if we had packages that reflected such
the way I see it personell wise is if you are in the 3-4 alignment you have a Dejon Gomes type of guy at one OLB and a Randy Gregory at the other. One is basically a rush end the other a more physical nickleback type and 2 athletic MLBs in between them.
  • 5 weeks later...

• 7 months later...
On 1/12/2017 at 6:55 PM, seaofred92 said:

NOTE: This isn't a rumor. Its a follow up on a report from a Nebraska reporter. Would appreciate this thread remaining on the main board.

Bob has emerged as a leading candidate for our DC job:

So here's the deal. I threw his name out yesterday as someone who would make sense but I REALLY hope this doesn't happen. I've mentioned it a few times on here but Im a UConn graduate and so I have watched every single one of these Diaco era football games at UConn. Among the reasons Diaco was fired at UConn was:

2. He runs the "bend don't break" defense. It used to drive UConn fans INSANE because we would line up 8-10 yards off the ball (sound familiar?) and very rarely pressed guys or brought pressure. This is not the formula I believe necessary to win.

4. The guy has zero ability to understand game situations. Clock management (end of Navy game this year), fake field goals at absurd times (4th and goal from the 18 down 7-0 to BC in the first quarter, second fake FG against Mizzou last year, etc), lack of ability to get plays and defensive calls into the huddle on time, lack of situational awareness on both sides of the ball in various situations (2 minute, 4 minute, etc)

Summary: I would be fairly disappointed if we hired him as our DC. Despite being a Broyles Award winner and experience at Notre Dame as a DC from what I saw from him at UConn I would be TERRIFIED giving him a large amount of responsibility and money at UConn. My opinion might be jaded from what he did to my Huskies but I believe we can and should do better than him if we want to get to the point of competing regularly for conference titles and NY6 bowls.

don't blame me. I warned you guys. 

• Plus1 1