Bob Diaco - New Defensive Coordinator

I have no idea what this new guy will do and really have nothing to contribute.

​I will say that I love when people give stats about another team in another league from long ago on a planet far far away and try to use that as evidence of what will happen here.

It is evidence! By adding strength of schedule, you make it more conclusive to all of D1 football. Banker had bad numbers in the past and see what we got.

• Fire 1

I have no idea what this new guy will do and really have nothing to contribute.

​I will say that I love when people give stats about another team in another league from long ago on a planet far far away and try to use that as evidence of what will happen here.

It is evidence! By adding strength of schedule, you make it more conclusive to all of D1 football. Banker had bad numbers in the past and see what we got.

Banker also had some decent defenses at Oregon St.

Lets not forget that.

Banker's def. were average at best. Here is what Brain Toole tweeted following the hiring of Banker:

Banker's PPG allowed rankings for Oregon State last 7 seasons: 97th, 91st, 22nd, 89th, 64th, 57th, 47th

Banker's rushing D rankings last 7 years: 57th, 89th, 28th, 101st, 88th, 25th, 40th.

Banker's passing D last 7 years: 94th, 87th, 50th, 46th, 79th, 84th, 22nd

• Fire 1

Banker's def. were average at best. Here is what Brain Toole tweeted following the hiring of Banker:

Banker's PPG allowed rankings for Oregon State last 7 seasons: 97th, 91st, 22nd, 89th, 64th, 57th, 47th

Banker's rushing D rankings last 7 years: 57th, 89th, 28th, 101st, 88th, 25th, 40th.

True, but if you look at his first 6 years at OSU, you will find much better numbers. Especially rush defense. During that period Banker was held in high regard.

I think Riley hoped that with better talent Banker would return to success. Instead we saw a DC failing to adapt, ala Cosgrove. Time for new blood, new scheme.

• Fire 1

Question, if we are going use stats on defensive ranks then don't we also need to add in the recruiting rankings for the 3-4 years prior.

Granted, Bankers defense rank was stinking terrible. I'd just be curious how the recruiting rankings were for each year.

The same goes for Diaco. I'd love my chances with the #4, 1, 6 and 15th ranked classes to them get to use the stats to say how awesome of a DC I am.

Even at Nebraska, Banker had average classes and several key defensive personnel leave and go to NFL.

I'm not for Banker ... and I'm not against Diaco. It all goes back to " statistics don't lie, people do." I'm not implying anyone is lying. It's just how stats are used to debate the point.

My guess is Banker had worse recruiting classes who performed a bit worse then ranking and Diaco had better recruiting rankings who performed worse then their ranking but better then Bankers on the average.

True, but if you look at his first 6 years at OSU, you will find much better numbers. Especially rush defense. During that period Banker was held in high regard.

I think Riley hoped that with better talent Banker would return to success. Instead we saw a DC failing to adapt, ala Cosgrove. Time for new blood, new scheme.

So either he wasn't keeping up with offensive evolution or just plain getting worse at his job (for whatever reason).

• Fire 1

Question, if we are going use stats on defensive ranks then don't we also need to add in the recruiting rankings for the 3-4 years prior.

Granted, Bankers defense rank was stinking terrible. I'd just be curious how the recruiting rankings were for each year.

The same goes for Diaco. I'd love my chances with the #4, 1, 6 and 15th ranked classes to them get to use the stats to say how awesome of a DC I am.

Even at Nebraska, Banker had average classes and several key defensive personnel leave and go to NFL.

I'm not for Banker ... and I'm not against Diaco. It all goes back to " statistics don't lie, people do." I'm not implying anyone is lying. It's just how stats are used to debate the point.

My guess is Banker had worse recruiting classes who performed a bit worse then ranking and Diaco had better recruiting rankings who performed worse then their ranking but better then Bankers on the average.

One thing to consider: Diaco had an active hand in recruiting his classes, where Banker did not.