Bob Diaco - New Defensive Coordinator

Cautiously optimistic. Really can't be worse that what we've had. He's done OK but not great. Hopefully a change will be give us a boost.

Unfortunately, I have no idea who is he. Even during ND's great season, I never heard of him. In other words, up until a few days ago, why must I google this guy? :dunno

The one thing I briefly get a little excited about is, that I think we desperately need a B1G DC guy on our staff. If you can't beat them, join them. Maybe this is the guy?

How many possible candidates have you really heard of? Isn't that the issue?

Even better- how many DC's for other teams could you name right now without looking them up?

I was thinking the same thing. I watch a lot of college football, and I can only name a handful of DC's at other schools.

Same with me.

Cautiously optimistic. Really can't be worse that what we've had. He's done OK but not great. Hopefully a change will be give us a boost.

I'm with Mavric on this.

I'm for any scheme that makes us better. Yet, I still think our issues are more basic, things like mindset, identity and fundamental football.

If Diaco changes those things then great. If a new scheme helps us, great. Any new hire is gonna need to "show me" (especially $1.1 mill) and any fan who is clueless like me has to wait to form an opinion and give him a chance. Banker proved himself ... then he was evaluated.

Some interesting research on Diaco's years at Notre Dame, since I'm hearing how good he was there.

Here are the recruiting ranking from 2006-2013.

2006 - 4

2007 - 6

2008 - 1

2009 - 15

2010 - 16

2011 - 10

2012 - 17

2013 - 3

I believe his years at ND were 2010 - 2013. Thus, he had the recruiting classes from 2006- 2009 as his base. He did well at ND is the consensus. I'm curious to see how well he does at Nebraska without a 4, 6, 1 and 15th ranked class. I think he has the passion to coach them up and if the scheme gives the kids a better identity and purpose then great, we need that.

Good luck Coach Diaco! Welcome to the :bigredn: ! Hope you are here for many years.

• Fire 1

I've been pretty pessimistic for most of the Pelini and Riley regime but after finishing the season unranked once again and watching us get destroyed in title games and during the regular season not to mention the embarrassing losses last year and the year before well... I'll always love the Huskers but it's been hard seeing the lows of the program in recent years.

I think this is a last ditch effort to save an already sinking ship. To come in to a major program like Nebraska (we're still considered that I hope?) and fire the DC who you brought with you in year 2 to me seems like a desperate move more than anything and something to appease the fan base. I think if Riley were still at Oregon State Banker would still be his DC.

To me Nebraska has much deeper issues than having a 'good' defensive coordinator. Next year which will be year 3 for Riley is now set to start with an entirely new defensive scheme, a new defensive coach and players who weren't recruited to run said scheme.

Once again I'll watch with one eye open. It's not going to be pretty imo.

• Fire 1

I've been pretty pessimistic for most of the Pelini and Riley regime but after finishing the season unranked once again and watching us get destroyed in title games and during the regular season not to mention the embarrassing losses last year and the year before well... I'll always love the Huskers but it's been hard seeing the lows of the program in recent years.

I think this is a last ditch effort to sink an already sinking ship. To come in to a major program like Nebraska (we're still considered that I hope?) and fire the DC who you brought with you in year 2 to me seems like a desperate move more than anything and something to appease the fan base. I think if Riley were still at Oregon State Banker would still be his DC.

To me Nebraska has much deeper issues than having a 'good' defensive coordinator. Next year which will be year 3 for Riley is now set to start with an entirely new defensive scheme, a new defensive coach and players who weren't recruited to run said scheme.

I get what you're saying here. At the same time, defense isn't rocket science (although Banker made it seem that way). In my opinion, it's a lot easier to put in a new defensive scheme especially when the coach putting it in is actually competent.

I think this is a last ditch effort to sink an already sinking ship. To come in to a major program like Nebraska (we're still considered that I hope?) and fire the DC who you brought with you in year 2 to me seems like a desperate move more than anything and something to appease the fan base. I think if Riley were still at Oregon State Banker would still be his DC.

I get what you're saying here. At the same time, defense isn't rocket science (although Banker made it seem that way). In my opinion, it's a lot easier to put in a new defensive scheme especially when the coach putting it in is actually competent.

I'm not sure about the 'easy' part but yes I'm sure there is a better defensive coordinator out there than MB.

The Huskers just did what a major school does. A guy doesn't perform to the level of expectations, friend or not, you're gone. You are exactly right, if Riley and Banker were at Oregon State, he'd still be DC. Because that is OSU.

This shows Riley gets it a little more than people give him credit for.

Arkansas will hire in house (because they dragged their feet and Nebraska bigtimed them), Wisconsin will hire someone else who will be gone in two years for under or around $1 million

The Huskers just showed some guts on a level they haven't since hiring a literal NFL gm to run the show. This is a good move that big time schools make. Feel good about it for a little, at least!!

• Fire 6

I'm not sure about the 'easy' part but yes I'm sure there is a better defensive coordinator out there than MB.

I agree, 'easier' was a poor word choice. In retrospect, I should've gone with, "should go much smoother".

I think this is a last ditch effort to save an already sinking ship. To come in to a major program like Nebraska (we're still considered that I hope?) and fire the DC who you brought with you in year 2 to me seems like a desperate move more than anything and something to appease the fan base. I think if Riley were still at Oregon State Banker would still be his DC.

jesus man back away from the ledge
  • Fire 5

I will also say this and I don't mean for this to be a "shot" at Bob

But with how abysmal his time at UConn was I don't see him even with success here as D.C. Being able to just jump to another Head Coach gig somewhere. If Bob does well we will probably be able to keep him here for a long time

Agreed. He does appear to be nice upgrade from Banker in terms of previous stats. Being a head coach again someday will take awhile and will only become a possibility if he turns our defense into what Wisconsin has become the last few years.

Great great great hire. For what was available and the crazy names getting thrown out there this was a steal. The names of other proven coordinators being thrown out is crazy because they would not make a lateral move and their current school would just match any offer anyways. I watched uconn a few times, he's passionate and energetic.

I think this is a last ditch effort to save an already sinking ship. To come in to a major program like Nebraska (we're still considered that I hope?) and fire the DC who you brought with you in year 2 to me seems like a desperate move more than athing to appease the fan base. I think if Riley were still at Oregon State Banker would still be his DC.

nything and some

" Let it be said that I am right, rather than consistent" - Harlan