Bob Diaco - New Defensive Coordinator

Something about him just doesn't feel right to me. Not sure exactly what it is. Lack of success, weird eccentric personality, no established recruiting chops, too perfect of a face, etc.

There are quite a few articles floating around from his time at Notre Dame about his recruiting. Here are two for you:

http://www.usatoday.com/story/sports/ncaaf/2013/01/03/bcs-national-championship-defensive-coordinator-bob-diaco-notre-dame-alabama/1804929/

But when you trace the arc of Notre Dame's sudden and surprising emergence, which begins and ends with one of the most dominant defenses in the country, Diaco's imprint is undeniable.

It has been made in recruiting, where he's had a strong hand in the Irish's sudden talent influx on defense. He secured five-star linebacker Ishaq Williams' commitment with a 4:30 a.m. visit to his Brooklyn home

After reading that USA Today article people should be optimistic about this hire. Good job coach Riley. Banker seemed like a pretty good guy and good luck to him. Welcome aboard Coach Diaco. The additional speed a 3-4 defense brings and the uncertainty it creates in an offense are great benefits. #GBR

According to his bio on the uconn website over his four years at Notre Dame they allowed 19.08 points per game, which is pretty impressive. Also the year he was at Cincinnati should not be overlooked as they ranked 3rd in the nation in TFL per game game (8.46 per game) and 10th in sacks per game (2.85 per game)... He's a players coach and chose us over others, I think he's a great get

I like the hire.

Defense needs a different direction. Our inability to get pressure and tackles for loss has been a problem for several seasons.

Notre Dame typically has a strong strength of schedule so if he was consistent there that is a good sign.

Has already coached at a nationally prevalent program. Expect him to recruit nationally and be national name we need.

A 3-4 gets athletes on the field and we don't have to rely on 5 star DE recruits. Need some key technique guys on the DL but bring in 4 star athletes at LB and build depth. Bray's job just became more important and we all like him as a recruiter and LB coach.

A 3-4 gives more of that amoeba look with better disguises that every time I see it looks pretty salty with playmakers on the field.

Hope he does something fresh and new with the Blackshirts brand...it is one of the best in college football and it has not been used to full potential for many years now. I'm buying a new Blackshirts hat...BOOM!

:bonesflag:

Cautiously optimistic. Really can't be worse that what we've had. He's done OK but not great. Hopefully a change will be give us a boost.

Unfortunately, I have no idea who is he. Even during ND's great season, I never heard of him. In other words, up until a few days ago, why must I google this guy? :dunno

The one thing I briefly get a little excited about is, that I think we desperately need a B1G DC guy on our staff. If you can't beat them, join them. Maybe this is the guy?

Seems like a rad dude!

Why do so many of the notre dame guys look like 40 year olds- bald and beer guts

I think because it's a fantasy camp where balding 40 year old guys pay good money to dress up in the ND uniform and pretend it is boot camp. There are similar camps for baseball lovers where they can go to "spring training" in Ariz or Fla and dress in their favorite pro team unis. I didn't see a "sarcasm" flag so I'm assuming this was a serious question. If not ignore this.

Cautiously optimistic. Really can't be worse that what we've had. He's done OK but not great. Hopefully a change will be give us a boost.

Unfortunately, I have no idea who is he. Even during ND's great season, I never heard of him. In other words, up until a few days ago, why must I google this guy? :dunno

The one thing I briefly get a little excited about is, that I think we desperately need a B1G DC guy on our staff. If you can't beat them, join them. Maybe this is the guy?

How many possible candidates have you really heard of? Isn't that the issue?

Even better- how many DC's for other teams could you name right now without looking them up?

• Fire 3

How many possible candidates have you really heard of? Isn't that the issue?

Even better- how many DC's for other teams could you name right now without looking them up?

I was thinking the same thing. I watch a lot of college football, and I can only name a handful of DC's at other schools.
  • Fire 1