The Republican Utopia

4 minutes ago, teachercd said:

I know, right?

Sucks there is not like, 50 billion dollars that the D's could have used :)

but the dems want another solution rather than arming the teachers.   are you saying you want to be the guy who has to face down the well regulated militia when they attack your school?

• Plus1 1

5 minutes ago, commando said:

but the dems want another solution rather than arming the teachers.   are you saying you want to be the guy who has to face down the well regulated militia when they attack your school?

No, guns are lame.

I want more money in education regardless but we have to send 50 billion to Ukraine when they could have just sent 49 billion and used the last billion to give huge a$$ raises to teachers.

24 minutes ago, teachercd said:

No, guns are lame.

I want more money in education regardless but we have to send 50 billion to Ukraine when they could have just sent 49 billion and used the last billion to give huge a$$ raises to teachers.

This continues to be a silly talking point. We need actual reform in education not a one-time payment like is going to Ukraine. And you continue to pretend like we can only do one or the other. We could spend $50 billion on Ukraine and add $50 billion every year to the education budget (or $200 billion/year or etc.). The money supporting Ukraine has literally nothing to do with education spending.

• Plus1 3
13 minutes ago, RedDenver said:

This continues to be a silly talking point. We need actual reform in education not a one-time payment like is going to Ukraine. And you continue to pretend like we can only do one or the other. We could spend $50 billion on Ukraine and add $50 billion every year to the education budget (or $200 billion/year or etc.). The money supporting Ukraine has literally nothing to do with education spending.

Love when non-educators tell us what we need!

That reminds me...gotta stop by the fire station today and let them know what they do and don't need.

• Plus1 1
  • Oh Yeah! 1

14 minutes ago, suh_fan93 said:

This is true...I see it at school in class when some kids make certain comments and others are clearly scared to say anything and honestly we see it here sometimes, which is why posts have to be moved and mods have to step in.

• Plus1 1
  • Thanks 1
58 minutes ago, teachercd said:

That reminds me...gotta stop by the fire station today and let them know what they do and don't need.

You're the one saying we should spend money on education instead of Ukraine. Maybe you should stop by the State Department and tell them how to handle foreign relations.

Or maybe we don't have to be an expert or work in a specific field to have opinions on how shared resources should be allocated.

9 minutes ago, RedDenver said:

You're the one saying we should spend money on education instead of Ukraine. Maybe you should stop by the State Department and tell them how to handle foreign relations.

Or maybe we don't have to be an expert or work in a specific field to have opinions on how shared resources should be allocated.

Ha...I love when posters prove my point that they were arguing against.

Thank you!

1 hour ago, teachercd said:

Child psychologists are not teachers, but they absolutely should have some involvement when it comes to deciding how children are educated. Scientists help fire departments develop tests to determine whether certain materials should be allowed in buildings. 

• Plus1 1
4 minutes ago, Moiraine said:

Child psychologists are not teachers, but they absolutely should have some involvement when it comes to deciding how children are educated. Scientists help fire departments develop tests to determine whether certain materials should be allowed in buildings. 

#Mansplained...Yikes!

Those people are paid, for their services because they are asked for their input...asked...and compensated.  

And they give input in very specific areas.  I have been in meetings with kid shrinks probably 100 times if not more.  Every meeting ends the same way...they say "Here are my thuoghts but you guys are the experts so I defer to you, please let me know if you need anything else from me"

Just like in those meetings I don't go "Yeah, so I know Timmy has been abused by his parents BUT here are my thoughts on how we should treat him"

• Plus1 1

20 hours ago, teachercd said:

I know, right?

Sucks there is not like, 50 billion dollars that the D's could have used :)

Yes, Democrats are the problem.  Republicans have historically been supporters of public school, and continue to voice their unwavering commitment to public education and they are most certainly not painting them as liberal brainwashing institutions who "groom" children into becoming sexual deviants.

I get what you're saying when it comes to school funding - but you're conflating an issue of federal dollars being used for foreign affairs and a public institution who's funding comes primarily from the state level. It's borderline impossible to do even at times when education isn't attacked in politics, it's impossible to do now. 

Injecting more federal dollars would require a massive federal bill similar to No Child Left Behind. Conservative voters - already convinced the Gubmint wants to brainwash their kids - would absolutely not support it. Individual states would likely push back on the federal government trying to change their curriculum or they'd outright reject the money just like they did with healthcare. Lastly, they'd need 60 votes to do it so it's simply not going to happen.

• Plus1 5
1 hour ago, Dr. Strangelove said:

Yes, Democrats are the problem.  Republicans have historically been supporters of public school, and continue to voice their unwavering commitment to public education and they are most certainly not painting them as liberal brainwashing institutions who "groom" children into becoming sexual deviants.

I get what you're saying when it comes to school funding - but you're conflating an issue of federal dollars being used for foreign affairs and a public institution who's funding comes primarily from the state level. It's borderline impossible to do even at times when education isn't attacked in politics, it's impossible to do now. 

Injecting more federal dollars would require a massive federal bill similar to No Child Left Behind. Conservative voters - already convinced the Gubmint wants to brainwash their kids - would absolutely not support it. Individual states would likely push back on the federal government trying to change their curriculum or they'd outright reject the money just like they did with healthcare. Lastly, they'd need 60 votes to do it so it's simply not going to happen.

Exactly.  It is a problem that needs to be fixed.