The Republican Utopia

10 minutes ago, BigRedBuster said:

I think it's pretty clear what's happening.

I know and agree…..Disney is making false statements about a FL bill and apparently the Governor isn’t too pleased with it and wondering why Disney should get the special “Vatican” rule that others don’t seem to get, while falsely disparaged the State.   Maybe he Seems he thinks Disney might be better served to have the same rules as other companies in the state? 

• Plus1 2
  • Haha 1
1 hour ago, BigRedBuster said:

I think it's pretty clear what's happening.

I think it's hysterical that up until probably a week ago, most Republicans (and most people) probably had no idea or even gave a single F about the way Disney operated in Florida.

But then Disney said big meanie head things about this this legislation and Conservative Woke General DeSantis had to start yapping. Now all of a sudden Disney is the bad guy that needs to play ball like everybody else.

These people troll themselves.

• Plus1 2
  • Thanks 1
  • Haha 1

37 minutes ago, Enhance said:

False to you, true to them. ¯\_(ツ)_/¯

Actually the bill doesn’t address gay,straight, lesbian, bi, etc….just the aspect of teaching sex in k-3rd grade and age appropriate content from there on.  That is unless you have different information than what is published.  

Disney’s  “truth” doesn’t actually mean that what they say is true :dunno   

• Plus1 2
2 hours ago, Archy1221 said:

Actually the bill doesn’t address gay,straight, lesbian, bi, etc….just the aspect of teaching sex in k-3rd grade and age appropriate content from there on.  That is unless you have different information than what is published.  

Take it up with Disney. I haven't said what I do or don't think about the law. My commentary was on the reaction to it.

Truth is subjective, and at the end of the day, what a law really says or doesn't say is often decided in a court room after someone is accused of violating it.

• Plus1 1
  • Thanks 1
38 minutes ago, Enhance said:

Take it up with Disney. I haven't said what I do or don't think about the law. My commentary was on the reaction to it.

It funny, people are doing what you suggest and taking it up with Disney and giving commentary about Disney’s reaction to the law.   But earlier they were told they are trolling themselves.   

• Plus1 2

3 hours ago, Archy1221 said:

https://www.flsenate.gov/Session/Bill/2022/1557/BillText/er/PDF

"prohibiting classroom 22 discussion about sexual orientation or gender identity 23 in certain grade levels or in a specified manner;"  (page 1, lines 22 and 23)

"Classroom instruction by school personnel or third 98 parties on sexual orientation or gender identity may not occur 99 in kindergarten through grade 3 or in a manner that is not age100 appropriate or developmentally appropriate for students inaccordance with state standards. (page 4, lines 97-101)"

What does "sexual orientation" mean if not gay, straight, etc?

What happens if a 2nd grader asks a teacher about their neighbor that has two dads?

This law is making some Florida teachers nervous to have real conversations and make real relationships.  We all agree that no 2nd grader needs to know how to use a condom.  I think most of us would agree that a teacher giving out information about PlannedParenthood to a high schooler without communicating to parents would be a horrible idea. 

Gay people exist.  Talking about a family having two moms isn't "teaching sex", but it does come close to breaking this law.  Actually, some attorneys believe it would break this law.

• Plus1 2
  • Thanks 4
7 minutes ago, nic said:

I read the parental rights in education bill. I generally don't like legal speak, but from what I read I don't have a problem with it. Not sure if the person below is for real, but  he is supposedly a gay man working for Disney calling out Disney on it. 

https://flashinggreen.substack.com/p/i-am-a-gay-employee-at-walt-disney?s=r&utm_campaign=post&utm_medium=web&utm_source=direct

It's a pretty short read, it took like 3 minutes.

This is either a political piece of meat (for both parties) that serves no real purpose.  Or Florida schools really sucked.

Outside of the few lines concerning sexual orientation landmines, the rest is just common sense.  I'd actually be surprised if it wasn't already part of laws governing public schools in the state.  I know in Nebraska, Special education laws require IEP meetings where teachers discuss changes and or progress with the parent.  All schools report mental health and/or physical health concerns to parents.  Hell, I have to fill out a form and contact parents if is send a kid to the office for a bandaid if he cuts his finger in class!  Are Florida schools really this bad????

• Fire 1
1 hour ago, Archy1221 said:

It funny, people are doing what you suggest and taking it up with Disney and giving commentary about Disney’s reaction to the law.   But earlier they were told they are trolling themselves.   

Except you're trying to take it up with me, for some weird reason. I suggest that if you have problems with Disney's comments about the legislation that you take it up with them directly since they're the ones that said them.

My post was about how Republicans are trolling themselves in relation to Disney's corporate operations. I thought that was pretty clear, but if it wasn't then, it should be now.

• Plus1 1
5 hours ago, Archy1221 said:

As I read the bill it specifically says discussion and instruction is prohibited. I don’t think K-3 (and actually quite a bit further than 3) should be instructed about gender identification, sexual orientation or really any sex issues in general. So I guess I don’t have a problem with the gist or overarching theme of the bill. What I do have a problem with, and the law and lawyers will too, is the “discussion” wording. If/When a student asks about one of these issues, the teacher is going to be placed in a predicament. Depending on the lean of their parent(s) and their parent’s lawyer anything they possibly say could be a problem. My other problem with the bill is that it really isn’t addressing a problem or solving an issue. It is quite obviously being promoted for political reasons. That type of s#!t annoys me.

• Plus1 4
  • Thanks 2