The Republican Utopia

2 hours ago, teachercd said:

Stewart understands comedy.  That is why he was so good.  

I am not a big Bill Maher fan but he gets comedy too.

Gregg Kinnear would have KILLED it on a "Daily Show" type show.

The thing that set Stewart apart was his enneagram 8 vibe. He had an angry energy about him that felt righteous - others have certain elements he had (self deprecation being a big one), but he would channel his rage into a safe bite size piece of entertainment and info and aim it anywhere something was bulls#!t. Oliver's show is great with some of the best writing and researching we've ever seen in this format, and I like him and his delivery fine, but he's too 'aww shucks laugh at me too' to ever scratch the same itch that the Daily Show did.

2 minutes ago, Lorewarn said:

The thing that set Stewart apart was his enneagram 8 vibe. He had an angry energy about him that felt righteous - others have certain elements he had (self deprecation being a big one), but he would channel his rage into a safe bite size piece of entertainment and info and aim it anywhere something was bulls#!t. Oliver's show is great with some of the best writing and researching we've ever seen in this format, and I like him and his delivery fine, but he's too 'aww shucks laugh at me too' to ever scratch the same itch that the Daily Show did.

Yeah, I think that might be it, it is almost like Oliver is waiting for and hoping for the laugh, probably because he is not actually funny.  It is one thing to have good writers but it is another to be good at delivery.  

Stewart sort of crafted his act, he changed into that angry energy guy later on when at first he was the sarcastic type.  Both worked for him.  

• Plus1 1

7 hours ago, knapplc said:

Y'all diehard Republican voters on here. Stand up and be proud of your party.

Maybe they would be fine with one of these two:

David Valadao (CA22)
Dan Newhouse (WA04)

The only catch is that they are moderates, would be willing to work across the aisle, and voted to impeach the Insurrectionist in Chief.  It could happen now that MAGA has seen the light and is freshly outraged by world events and the atrocities being carried in Ukrai....errr Israel 

• Plus1 1

I suppose the way the speaker is chosen is a way to give the minority party some kind of power, and could be seen as a way to promote compromise. 

But it’s also kind of dumb. They should just vote on a person and the one with the most votes becomes speaker. The far right has everything to gain here. They either get someone favorable to them, the House passes no bills thus no funding and the government shuts down, or the rest of the GOP works with the Democrats and angers the base more which leads them to elect more far right peoople. 

• Plus1 1
  • Thanks 1