The Environment

10 minutes ago, Dr. Strangelove said:
6 hours ago, Archy1221 said:

According to ZipRecruiter, the hourly pay for a local TV news anchor is $31 an hour. So roughly $63k per year. 

Just an fyi but a TV news anchor and meteorologist are not the same job.  

Here is Salary.com scale for Des Moines.  I picked that because I thought the video came from Iowa

https://www.salary.com/research/salary/benchmark/meteorologist-salary/des-moines-ia

• Plus1 1
2 hours ago, Archy1221 said:

Nature took care of that for us.   Imagine that.   Environmental crisis averted.  

https://thehill.com/policy/energy-environment/3963236-lake-mead-and-lake-powell-are-swelling-heres-what-that-means-for-the-water-supply/

I’m not sure “crises averted” is the correct phrase. From the article you linked…

It’s the good news Las Vegas has been waiting for after two decades of watching the bathtub ring at Lake Mead. But to put one good year in perspective, the Bureau of Reclamation said Lake Powell and Lake Mead – the two biggest reservoirs in the country would go from 23% full to 26% full.

From 23% to 26%, while better than another huge decrease, is nothing to get too excited about. About 24 more years in a row of the same record precipitation levels is all it will take.

• Plus1 2

You guys memba when Canada was literally on fire at the earliest point in the spring ever, making my f#&%ing throat sore and the Northeast seaboard a hellish orange? That was so 2 weeks ago... At least now its only the worst wildfire season in recorded history for Canada. Good thing it's almost July.

• Plus1 1

3 hours ago, ZRod said:

You guys memba when Canada was literally on fire at the earliest point in the spring ever making my f#&%ing throat sore and the Northeast seaboard a hellish orange. That was so 2 weeks ago... At least now its only the worst wildfire season in recorded history for Canada. Good thing it's almost July.

Or as Archy would say, nothing to see here, crises averted by nature.

• Oh Yeah! 1
2 hours ago, teachercd said:

Yeah, I think Meteorologists at decent sized networks are usually in the 125k and up range. 

Little known fact. Ken Siemek who was with KOLN/KGIN for many many years was my pony league baseball coach. They taught us to slide with our metal cleats crotch high to clear the basemen off the bag :lol:

• Haha 1
4 minutes ago, JJ Husker said:

Or as Archy would say, nothing to see here, crises averted by nature.

We're going to have to wait until October for that proclamation as Canada is going to burn all season.  After the first few snows then it'll be "crisis averted".  But in the interim we'll blame Biden for the high cost of lumber at it's impact on inflation.  

• Haha 1
  • Oh Yeah! 1
16 hours ago, ZRod said:

You guys memba when Canada was literally on fire at the earliest point in the spring ever, making my f#&%ing throat sore and the Northeast seaboard a hellish orange? That was so 2 weeks ago... At least now its only the worst wildfire season in recorded history for Canada. Good thing it's almost July.

You're blaming the fires for that? 

marcia-sure-jan.gif

• Haha 4

Because the inevitable flooding, erosion, and deposition of silt into the waterways from burn scars is great for the environment and aquatic habitat.  :dunno

The difference between massive uncontrolled wildfires due to climate change and prescribed burns is hard to understand 

If Canada had only raked it's forests.  

37 minutes ago, Scarlet said:

Because the inevitable flooding, erosion, and deposition of silt into the waterways from burn scars is great for the environment and aquatic habitat.  :dunno

The difference between massive uncontrolled wildfires due to climate change and prescribed burns is hard to understand 

If Canada had only raked it's forests.  

Actually, fires in far northern Canada many times are just left to burn and if they don't threaten communities in the way.  What has made this year's fires much more noticable is that there are more of them and the jet stream is in a way that the smoke was brought south into the US.  It's usually not like that...as much.  Normal levels of wildfires also regenerate forests.

The severity of the fires this year are a concern however.