ESPN: Ranking B1G Offensive Lines

Mavric

Redshirting the incoming lineman was what is usually done with the O-line. In most instances they are not ready to play mentally even if they are physically ready, which is also a rarity. Cav and Co I think were pretty comfortable with the starting 5 last in fall camp and hoped they wouldn't have too many injuries, and other than Foster preseason they were pretty solid for about the first 5 games. Then the injuries started and you are playing backups and moving guys around and it just doesn't work all that well all the time.

I expect to see a pretty good inprovement next year in the line.

• Fire 1

The biggest thing that can help the OL is a QB who can throw and is a threat with his arm. Load the box and pin back your ears? Quick screen, slants, dump pass etc..... for what seems like the past 10 years, team simply put 8 in the box, rush 7 we defend with 5........ Not a fan of Cav thus far, but a QB teams have to fear as a passing threat should help with more one on one blocking and guys not simply coming straight across......

• Fire 1

I dont understand why people around here dont appreciate Coach Cav more. The guy took a mess of Oline that were comprised of spread run (zone blocking) type players that had very little experience pass blocking in a pro offense scheme (different blocking styles, techniques, etc), with little to no depth.... he then redshirted a few of our best players and still managed to produce the least amount of sacks in the B1G, that says a lot considering the play style of YOLO Tommy. Not only that, but he had several walkons starting and still had good rushing yards most games. He has been good at recruiting and is overall a good dude. I think he is greatly under-appreciated.

The bolded part is giving the OL way too much credit and not giving Tommy nearly enough credit. If the OL doesn't improved by a lot this year over last year, we're going to find out just how important Tommy's legs were.

agree, we don't have a real mobile qb this year.........

I failed to initially take this article into context and thought Nebraska received too much praise for what I believe was a pretty average offensive line. But, in the B1G, I'd say that still puts us in the top 5-6 teams. However, we still have a long way to go, and I don't think we'll be winning a conference title until we're one of the two best lines in the conference.

• Fire 1

You redshirt for the long term stability of the program. Yes some could have played, but redshirting them has now set us up very well going forward. It's also not worth it to burn those redshirts late in the year when the injuries pile up. Stay the course and prepare the team for sustained success down the road.

Last year there was an abundance of youth (still is) and debilitating injuries. Patience is what's needed here. We have a unit that should be able to handle injuries a bit better with more depth. I don't think this rating is inflated. This unit has a chance to do pretty good things.

Our new QB won't have the escapability of Armstrong. On the other hand, there were times Armstrong scrambled when a better throwing QB would have stepped into the pocket and thrown the ball.

Agreed. Tommy would spin out when there was one DE running up field. There would be plenty of room to step up. I think most of the time he actually created a bigger risk of a negative play than a positive or zero-yard play.

I feel like a lot of people don't understand the value of redshirting. If the player is good enough to start or see a significant amount of snaps on offense or defense, you don't redshirt him. If he's not good enough and he's a freshman, that player should be redshirted imo. If the player isn't starting or seeing the field a frequently, you probably aren't getting a ton of value from him.

Take Lamar Jackson. Did he provide much value to the defense last year? Not really, no. He barely played. I realize they weren't going to redshirt him because of the playing time he was promised when recruited (assumption). But on paper, should he have redshirted last year knowing now how much he was used? Absolutely. I guess you can argue he got some experience, but I'd much rather have an extra year of him than the minimal snaps he saw. So either he was misused, or a mistake was made in not redshirting him imo. If none of the lineman were good enough to break the rotation, they should have been redshirted. If they were good enough and were redshirted anyways, I'm guessing the coaches are making a decision that the value provided down the road will be greater than the value provided as freshman. I think they made the right decision.

I think Lee will surprise a lot of people with his scrambling ability. And with the benefit of pass-first tendencies rather than run-first tendencies when a play starts to break down unlike with our most recent QBs.

I won't go as far as saying Lee is as strong of a runner as Armstrong, but I think it's fair to say he's both a better runner and better passer than Ganz was... Add that skill-set to an improved OL, and there is a lot to be hopeful for in terms of game management, poise, and controlling the chains.

I feel like a lot of people don't understand the value of redshirting. If the player is good enough to start or see a significant amount of snaps on offense or defense, you don't redshirt him. If he's not good enough and he's a freshman, that player should be redshirted imo. If the player isn't starting or seeing the field a frequently, you probably aren't getting a ton of value from him.

Take Lamar Jackson. Did he provide much value to the defense last year? Not really, no. He barely played. I realize they weren't going to redshirt him because of the playing time he was promised when recruited (assumption). But on paper, should he have redshirted last year knowing now how much he was used? Absolutely. I guess you can argue he got some experience, but I'd much rather have an extra year of him than the minimal snaps he saw. So either he was misused, or a mistake was made in not redshirting him imo. If none of the lineman were good enough to break the rotation, they should have been redshirted. If they were good enough and were redshirted anyways, I'm guessing the coaches are making a decision that the value provided down the road will be greater than the value provided as freshman. I think they made the right decision.

I see where you're coming from. I think it's complex and we can't look at just one thing. Assuming Jackson was promised playing time, that as I interpret it is the staff saying "we think you'll be good enough in 4 years that it's worth it to not have you when you'll be at your best (year 5)". This also needs to be looked at in the context of how the current roster is developing. Are the guys that are in year 4 of 5 in year 5 of 5 going to be better than a blue chipper transitioning from year 1 of 4 to year 2 of 4? Cause if so, you get the PT in where it's useful and look forward. Finally, there's the whole injury thing. Sometimes stuff happens and you just need to adjust.

There are going to be times where to get a player with that high of a ceiling we just need to accept the 4 year deal. Alternatively there are times where we are in a position of need (WR this year). Where maybe we would want the guys to spend a good chunk of time in the S&C program (KJJ) but they're going to play no matter what, which costs us perhaps their best year.

I believe in a perfect world all of the guys we pick up would be on a 5 year plan. I know that the difference between my body at 18 (6'4" 150 lbs) and 23 (6'4" 225 lbs) was enough that it made a difference in how I played basketball. Ideally we want people who have had time to learn their position, develop their body, and buy into the program. Unfortunately, real life situations sometimes dictate otherwise. It's always going to be a balance.