The First Trump Impeachment Thread

2 minutes ago, FrankWheeler said:

Sorry, I thought that's what the topic of the thread was.

You are fighting the strawman of "A small government will be absent of corruption." That's not what I said. ALL governments in human history are corrupt, without exception. The question is: "At what scale would you like corruption to occur?"

16 minutes ago, B.B. Hemingway said:

The Peter Schweitzer (?) Book, Secret Empires would be a great place for you to start.

So obviously haven't had time to read the book but based off of the summary the book is about scenarios similar to the alleged Biden corruption and probably hits on that as well. I am all for investigations into these situations but sometimes investigations don't happen because the appearance of corruption isn't enough. But also as I said, when has corruption been this flagrent? If others in the past were more open about their corruption congress would have no choice with them either. I don't say this to defend the corrupt, I think they should be held accountable, but unfortunately many corrupt folks are smarter than Trump and they are harder to pin down as corrupt. Again that does not mean we shouldn't go after those people as well, but my point is any President of either party leaves Congress no choice when they are this brazen. Hopefully this is a wakeup call for all Americans that we can't tolerate corruption no matter what and we keep a closer eye on our elected officials of all affiliations.

1 minute ago, ActualCornHusker said:

You are fighting the strawman of "A small government will be absent of corruption." That's not what I said. ALL governments in human history are corrupt, without exception. The question is: "At what scale would you like corruption to occur?"

But in this instance, it is happening at the level of President.  As long as we have the Constitution, we'll have a President; and a Legislative Branch to provide oversight.

2 minutes ago, ActualCornHusker said:

Limiting government isn't going to get rid of corruption, its just going to move it someplace else.

• Plus1 2
7 minutes ago, B.B. Hemingway said:

You took the way I used "bulls#!t" too literally. Intentionally so, I'm sure.

I took you at your word.

58 minutes ago, Nebfanatic said:

It's not about beating Trump its about holding the President accountable to the Constitution. It is Congresses duty, they have no choice. Trump has left them no choice.

55 minutes ago, B.B. Hemingway said:

Oh, bulls#!t. How many Presidents do you think have served their terms without violating the Constitution?

This is where the exchange that ended with you referencing that book started.  If "bulls#!t" in this post wasn't intended to say that Trump is being unfairly singled out when - per the book - many presidents are corrupt, then what was it intended to say? And then what was the purpose of referencing that book on presidential corruption?

Just now, funhusker said:

But in this instance, it is happening at the level of President.  As long as we have the Constitution, we'll have a President; and a Legislative Branch to provide oversight.

I've already stated where I stand on the Ukraine issue. I understand I'm on a bit of an island and that's fine. If Dems wish to die on that hill, I wish them luck.

Just now, ActualCornHusker said:

I've already stated where I stand on the Ukraine issue. I understand I'm on a bit of an island and that's fine. If Dems wish to die on that hill, I wish them luck.

And that is the issue, you are the one that is moving the goalposts with limited levels of government and 'scale' of corruption.  Are you fine with Enron 'scale' corruption?

• Plus1 2
1 minute ago, ActualCornHusker said:

Articles of impeachment have not yet been drafted. Ukraine is likely to only be one piece of the puzzle.

• Thanks 1

4 minutes ago, knapplc said:

I took you at your word.

This is where the exchange that ended with you referencing that book started.  If "bulls#!t" in this post wasn't intended to say that Trump is being unfairly singled out when - per the book - many presidents are corrupt, then what was it intended to say? And then what was the purpose of referencing that book on presidential corruption?

I probably mistakenly interpreted his post as naive, and a little holier-than-thou....

Though, I do find it naive to think that they're pursuing impeachment *because* what he did was illegal. They're doing it, because it's a political play. 

3 minutes ago, ActualCornHusker said:

So at the same time, you're (1) disgusted by our government because almost all politicians are corrupt AND (2) you're okay with corruption as long as it's at the top of the 3 branches of government?

• Plus1 3