Kalu Moving to Safety

Kalu is a great CB. Lamar has the potential to be an elite CB. Put the pressure on Lamar to develop over spring and see what happens. If he takes some big strides then our team would be better for it. K. Will is solid but solid is not taking us were we need to go. Let's see if donte can bring the best out of his young talent and take our secondary from Good to elite

We are going to bench a guy who made two game saving INT's for us last year? Kieron Williams made big plays for us last year. Throw in the batted ball against Oregon where if he doesn't make that play, Oregon scores. KWill is a playmaker, and I do not see why we just force Lamar Jackson on the field when Tennessee receivers were beating him pretty good when he was healthy in the bowl game. I like the Kalu, Jones duo and you take away that brotherly competition that DWill(so many Williams) talked about during his press conference.

We are really deep in the secondary, but idk why we put in a Sophmore corner who played safety in high school over a proven player in Williams who played two years here and some his freshman year. Also moving a proven corner to safety does not make a ton of sense when Kalu did a good job opposite Chris Jones. I see the potential in Lamar Jackson, but I feel he isn't quite there yet, maybe by mid season he will prove me wrong.

Funny thing about that Oregon play....he was out of position and burned for an inexcusable game winning TD. Their QB terribly under threw it allowing him to make the play.

Kieron, imo, is good enough to beat 75% of our schedule. But will struggle against the OSU, PSU, Michigan, and Wiskys of the conference.

All of the secondary struggled against osu last year and that is directly on the coaches calling a poor game offensively and defensively. The players quit coming out in the second half and that was that.

Any other team we play he will be able to compete with, he competed well against Wiscy, Oregon and Tennessee from what I can remember and we have yet to play PSU in a while so we will see how he does against them. If he did not play well against those teams, than why did we play him, when he had Antonio Reed as an available backup?

• Fire 1

We are going to bench a guy who made two game saving INT's for us last year? Kieron Williams made big plays for us last year. Throw in the batted ball against Oregon where if he doesn't make that play, Oregon scores. KWill is a playmaker, and I do not see why we just force Lamar Jackson on the field when Tennessee receivers were beating him pretty good when he was healthy in the bowl game. I like the Kalu, Jones duo and you take away that brotherly competition that DWill(so many Williams) talked about during his press conference.

We are really deep in the secondary, but idk why we put in a Sophmore corner who played safety in high school over a proven player in Williams who played two years here and some his freshman year. Also moving a proven corner to safety does not make a ton of sense when Kalu did a good job opposite Chris Jones. I see the potential in Lamar Jackson, but I feel he isn't quite there yet, maybe by mid season he will prove me wrong.

Funny thing about that Oregon play....he was out of position and burned for an inexcusable game winning TD. Their QB terribly under threw it allowing him to make the play.

Kieron, imo, is good enough to beat 75% of our schedule. But will struggle against the OSU, PSU, Michigan, and Wiskys of the conference.

All of the secondary struggled against osu last year and that is directly on the coaches calling a poor game offensively and defensively. The players quit coming out in the second half and that was that.

Any other team we play he will be able to compete with, he competed well against Wiscy, Oregon and Tennessee from what I can remember and we have yet to play PSU in a while so we will see how he does against them. If he did not play well against those teams, than why did we play him, when he had Antonio Reed as an available backup?

What if Kalu is just better than Kieron? Or maybe Lamar Jackson is better. Or maybe it's because we have a different DC, different scheme, or different safeties coach. Doesn't really matter how well they played last year, but rather who's playing the best now.

• Fire 1

What if Kalu is just better than Kieron? Or maybe Lamar Jackson is better. Or maybe it's because we have a different DC, different scheme, or different safeties coach. Doesn't really matter how well they played last year, but rather who's playing the best now.

^ Too much logic there - it's more fun to trash the coaching staff...

^ Too much logic there - it's more fun to trash the coaching staff...

I am not "trashing" the coaching staff, but rather questioning why Kwill is not starting. If he is not the best player, than so be it he will be a back up. Its just that under three different defensive schemes he always seems under appreciated at the beginning of the year/during spring ball, and then goes out and plays later on. Aaron Williams is our best safety by far and Kieron might struggle a little in run defense, and if he cannot grasp the new scheme I do not fault him. He has had so many different coaches that it has been crazy for him to learn all these different defenses.

If Lamar or Josh is better so be it. KWill most likely still sees the field in some capacity and provides depth on an ultra talented secondary. We have a top 3 if not the best secondary in the B1G, so I have really high expectations for this group.

"Look-see." That doesn't mean senior Joshua Kalu's move to safety is permanent. But my antennas are up and tell me this might be more than just March experimenting. Mike Riley used the words "good shot" when talking about Kalu's chances there.

And while Nebraska has some promising options at safety -- starting with Aaron Williams but also including Antonio Reed, fast-charging JoJo Domann and Kieron Williams -- they need to make sure they have enough speed at the very back end of that defense.

That's what a well-respected football person who knows a whole lot more than me talked about as we stood and watched last Thursday's practice. In his opinion, among other things, NU has been short on guys who can really run at that safety position in recent years.

Perhaps Kalu puts a little more speed back there, not to mention more game experience than anybody on that defense.

LJS

I understand trying to get the best athletes on the field. The part I don't quite understand yet is the fact they took a 4 star safety and made him a corner last yr and he struggled. Now they are taking the starting corner and moving him to safety to make room for the converted 4* safety at corner. Why not move the 4* safety to safety?? Having coached I know some kids see themselves as certain position wheN in reality they are best served at other positions... but jackson was a 4* safety was he not? Meaning he was pretty good there. Not a kid who is a 2* running back that we move to LB because that is where he will help.

• Fire 1

I understand trying to get the best athletes on the field. The part I don't quite understand yet is the fact they took a 4 star safety and made him a corner last yr and he struggled. Now they are taking the starting corner and moving him to safety to make room for the converted 4* safety at corner. Why not move the 4* safety to safety?? Having coached I know some kids see themselves as certain position wheN in reality they are best served at other positions... but jackson was a 4* safety was he not? Meaning he was pretty good there. Not a kid who is a 2* running back that we move to LB because that is where he will help.

The kid was a true freshman adjusting to college at a different position. His potential is fantastic and he seems to be progressing well. Kalu by the way also played safety in the past.