DOJ Initial Russia Hearings

On 9/10/2018 at 8:38 AM, commando said:

oh come on knap...he teaches economics at a college in nebraska and has a strong legal background and also knows more about science than any scientist alive.    how can you argue with THAT?

Good point. And in terms of arguing with THAT? Poorly, as it turns out.

:)

On 9/12/2018 at 2:32 PM, Guy Chamberlin said:

I'm with you. I want to see it.

Given the number of people in Donald Trump's inner circle who have flipped or cut deals --- something they would never do over a Nothingburger -- it appears to be bigger than we thought.

None of what they have pleaded to has thus far implicated the President or his campaign.

24 minutes ago, mrandyk said:

His campaign manager plead guilty to conspiracy against the United States. How does that mean nothing to you?

Ya. I don't get it either. At the least, it shows Trump is incompetent when it comes to vetting people, which is a bad thing to be incompetent at when you're the president. That was already clear (he obviously picks people who kiss his ass the best), but this is a giant neon sign.

• Plus1 1
6 hours ago, mrandyk said:

His campaign manager plead guilty to conspiracy against the United States. How does that mean nothing to you?

Because both Trump and Rick are right, the conspiracy charge doesn't appear to be related to the Trump campaign at this time.

That doesn't change the fact that Trump surrounded himself with slimy, now convicted criminals at multiple levels in his campaign and administration.

It's not even a secret that Donald Trump is deeply in debt to a variety of Russian oligarchs -- all with direct or indirect ties to Putin -- and while there's nothing illegal about most of this (hard to avoid some money laundering), it's quite likely that the Russians enjoyed crafting compromising scenarios involving Trump because that's what they do, better than anybody. 

Also likely there won't be any proof of collusion with the Trump camp -- the Russians didn't really need it -- and we will be left with the non-legal issue of a President who makes horrible decisions and is clearly beholden to both private parties and the government of a foreign adversary. 

Interestingly enough, Trump's worst scenario isn't collusion or jail -- it's the world finding out he's a terrible businessman, easily manipulated by others, and nowhere near as wealthy as he loves to pretend. None of that is a legal case. If anything does come up, it's going to involve obstruction. 

25 minutes ago, Moiraine said:

I think it's likely that it does have to do with why Manafort was on the Trump campaign in the first place.

4 hours ago, ZRod said:

Because both Trump and Rick are right, the conspiracy charge doesn't appear to be related to the Trump campaign at this time.

Which is why I said the bold. Maybe it does, maybe it doesn't. We won't know until the investigation is completed..

9 hours ago, Guy Chamberlin said:

Interestingly enough, Trump's worst scenario isn't collusion or jail -- it's the world finding out he's a terrible businessman, easily manipulated by others, and nowhere near as wealthy as he loves to pretend. None of that is a legal case. If anything does come up, it's going to involve obstruction. 

I would venture to say many who support Trump like the possible direction of his policy and don't care about his ego or net worth (or lack thereof....).

14 hours ago, TheSker said:

I would venture to say many who support Trump like the possible direction of his policy and don't care about his ego or net worth (or lack thereof....).

Oh that's a given. They voted for a cartoon character and have chosen to believe whatever they want about him.

But I'll bet my house most can't describe a single policy Trump has enacted. 

• Plus1 1
15 hours ago, Guy Chamberlin said:

Oh that's a given. They voted for a cartoon character and have chosen to believe whatever they want about him.

But I'll bet my house most can't describe a single policy Trump has enacted. 

Given the majority of the hardcores get their talking points from the man himself, or extensions of the administration like SHS or right-wing provacateurs who suckle at his underbelly, I'd wager you're right.

If they haven't heard these "policies" of which you speak at the latest rally or being spewed ad nauseum from Sarah Hucka-Sand's podium, they're going to revert to crap he said during his campaign like "building that wall" or "eliminating ISIS." The problem is the man himself doesn't even have a cogent grasp on his own policies. He's so ridiculously intellectually lazy, he can't spend the time it takes to learn what policies his own administration is pursuing - or hell, he may just be mentally incapable of that type of analysis at this point.

Either way, you're not going to get much beyond the bumper sticker phase of describing policies from the man himself or most of his adoring fans.