Tristan Gebbia

24 minutes ago, 4skers89 said:

It didn't look like he put on much weight while here.  I can't find a BTN tour video but when Gebbia was giving the quick tour of the facilities he said "that's the weight room, not important".  Maybe I imagined it but I remember thinking "what, I hope that was just a joke".  I heard about Martinez taking the conditioning seriously but nothing about Gebbia.  Not trying to disparage the guy after he left but his size was probably a factor in not getting the starting job (as I'm watching the Purdue QB get pummeled)

The race wouldn't have been close of Frost and Duval thought Gebbia wasn't putting in the work, and he was obviously joking. Also, multiple have commented the past 2 years that he has a great work ethic.

I think Gebbia is just someone who has trouble putting on weight.

• Plus1 1

36 minutes ago, Moiraine said:

The race wouldn't have been close of Frost and Duval thought Gebbia wasn't putting in the work, and he was obviously joking. Also, multiple have commented the past 2 years that he has a great work ethic.

I think Gebbia is just someone who has trouble putting on weight.

I had that trouble too.  Then I turned 30

• Plus1 4
7 hours ago, Oade said:

Verdral and Neal followed Frost to NU. And I think a couple of players follow Pelini to Youngstown.

I'm sure it happens all the time, and rightfully so, so unless something really shady took place then I'm not sure I care. But there are plenty of examples where students followed coaches to other programs without anything shady having taken place. I'll give them all the benefit of the doubt on this.

Gebbia should skip Corvallis and head straight to Alliance San Antonio, get ready to make some moolah

• Plus1 3

2 hours ago, 4skers89 said:

It didn't look like he put on much weight while here.  I can't find a BTN tour video but when Gebbia was giving the quick tour of the facilities he said "that's the weight room, not important".  Maybe I imagined it but I remember thinking "what, I hope that was just a joke".  I heard about Martinez taking the conditioning seriously but nothing about Gebbia.  Not trying to disparage the guy after he left but his size was probably a factor in not getting the starting job (as I'm watching the Purdue QB get pummeled)

His size or lack thereof was a major concern to coach Frost. He actually made that known to the media referring to (Gebbia) that he needed to bulk up and get stronger. I think Gebbia made their decision difficult but Adrian really answered the bell and he got bigger, stronger, and looks like he's throwing a tighter spiral versus what we saw in the spring game. Now he looks like a QB ready for the B1G. The mental part will come each week for Martinez, IMO.

7 hours ago, FTW said:

Adrian . . .  looks like he's throwing a tighter spiral versus what we saw in the spring game.

I thought the same thing.  It was really the thing that gave me doubts about my Gebbia prediction early on.  If he (Martinez) was still floating ducks I don't think he would have got the nod.

2 hours ago, Stumpy1 said:

I love all the comments about Gebbia not having a strong arm but yet, Frost said one of Gebbia's best traits is his arm strength.  

Not sure of the context of Frost’s comments about Gebbia’s arm strength. Maybe he was comparing it to Martinez who was coming off shoulder surgery. I have heard multiple media members comment that Gebbia’s arm strength was the worst of the 3 QB’s going thru practice last year. He may not have a “weak” arm, but he doesn’t have a strong enough arm for the NFL. 

• Plus1 1

I think Gebbia would fit in to the Canadian Football League better than NFL. More space to operate in. His lack of arm strength isn't as big of a liability. He's fast enough to get postive yards on a scramble. 

This whole situation was great theater. I don't think it will affect the team very much in the long run. Probably good life experience for the players that remain committed to Nebraska's improvement. Sometimes you have to overcome unforseen internal change. They will have similar things happen on future teams or future business relationships. Sometimes people bail for a better opportunity. NBD. NMU. No Big Deal, Next Man Up. :bonez

• Plus1 1

2 hours ago, Stumpy1 said:

I love all the comments about Gebbia not having a strong arm but yet, Frost said one of Gebbia's best traits is his arm strength.  

I mean if you want to believe every single thing someone says, feel free but from what we've heard it sounds like he made some unforgivable errors in practice like throwing picks, fumbling, etc. Perhaps everything was coach speak because maybe they had an inkling that Gebbia would do what he did but refused to believe that and instead went with "he's a good kid/teammate."

I'm paraphrasing of course. I think the lack of an OR on the depth chart for QB really set him off but who does that for the most jmportant position on a football team? Obviously Frost and Verduzco felt that Gebbia's arm wasn't good enough. He would have separated from Martinez. If you've got a QB with a laser accurate arm with OK scrambling ability, you'd be insane not to play him.

Martinez is our guy, Gebbia left, it's easy to read the tea leaves. His arm and body size, and decision making were his major weaknesses. Now it's time to accept that and move on.

• Plus1 2
8 minutes ago, FTW said:

I mean if you want to believe every single thing someone says, feel free but from what we've heard it sounds like he made some unforgivable errors in practice like throwing picks, fumbling, etc. Perhaps everything was coach speak because maybe they had an inkling that Gebbia would do what he did but refused to believe that and instead went with "he's a good kid/teammate."

I'm paraphrasing of course. I think the lack of an OR on the depth chart for QB really set him off but who does that for the most jmportant position on a football team? Obviously Frost and Verduzco felt that Gebbia's arm wasn't good enough. He would have separated from Martinez. If you've got a QB with a laser accurate arm with OK scrambling ability, you'd be insane not to play him.

Martinez is our guy, Gebbia left, it's easy to read the tea leaves. His arm and body size, and decision making were his major weaknesses. Now it's time to accept that and move on.

please let this thread die...............

30 minutes ago, FTW said:

• Plus1 2
  • Mavric changed the title to Tristan Gebbia