The 2020 Presidential Election - Convention & General Election

On 5/9/2020 at 7:36 PM, teachercd said:

So Biden wins, we know that is going to happen, we also know he is a one termer because his brain is mush...

So my question...after Biden...who is running for the D's and the R's?

I guess, Harris?...who might have to fight off AOC?  Or will she not be old enough yet?  (if not, she is gone and off to  making 20 million a year on podcasts and talk shows).

For the R's?  Does Paul Ryan come back?  I always thought he was an up and comer. 

GOP

Jared or Ivanka :ahhhhhhhh 

Actually, since we've been in old man politics for some time - Although I don't think it is likely, don't discount Mitt trying.

Paul Ryan, if he is enjoying whatever he is doing now, why would he get back into the fire? Maybe he will as his kids will be older and I think that was one of the considerations he didn't run and the fact he had a potentially tough reelection ahead.  I don't believe he has been soiled by Trump - which is a good thing.  Maybe he comes back wt a fresh vision of what the GOP could be without the cult of trump baggage.  He was always kind of a big picture vision guy - I'd be interested in what he'd have to say if he decided to get back into the public arena.

The 3  Amigos from the Senate who ran in 2016 - Rubio, Cruz, and Paul - have all fizzled and proved to be light weight.   I think the GOP needs to put forward a Governor who hasn't been stained by tRump. 

Dem: I think Harris has the inside track for VP which will set her up for 2024 nicely if she isn't president already. 

• Thanks 2
On 5/10/2020 at 11:13 AM, Moiraine said:

I looked into this a little bit and I don’t see anything different than we’ve been hearing since 2016 except that now Barr is in charge and they might try again to attack Obama. It might work this time but it would still be based on bulls#!t. 

The FBI legally obtained a warrant due to the suspicion that Russia had infiltrated Trump’s campaign. It’s completely ludicrous to think Obama was just doing all of this to try to stop Trump from getting elected. Occam’s Razor says that he, like most of the rest of us, thought Trump had no chance and didn’t feel the need to just make s#!t up to stop him when his polling #s were terrible. They didn’t even release any information to the public during the election for f#&%’s sake, and they could have.

Best case scenario is this is their way of trying to excite their base, but it’s still disgusting. If they actually do anything it’s going to be the beginning of the end of democracy in this country (although I think the beginning may have already happened).

I think the Republicans and Trump can’t stand it when people say there were no major scandals under Obama. 

I heard Rush on the local talk radio on the way to a store during lunch and it is conspiratory - Obama orchestrated everything.  Barr will get to the bottom of it and  the same info that 'freed Flynn' will put other is jail. 

This is an illuminating deep-dive on the current state of Biden's campaign and how recent circumstances have changed how he plans to govern as president. Touches on a lot of different topics: shifting policy and ideological frameworks, allegations against him, cabinet possibilities, Trump, veepstakes, how to campaign without social contact, family and ice cream.

There's a ton to chew on in there, but this paragraph in particular illuminates the stark difference between him and his opponent. There's just no way Trump has the temperament to handle this:

Publicly, Biden has made no secret of his displeasure with Trump’s handling of the disaster, from his personal conduct — Biden has said the delay in distributing relief checks in order to print Trump’s name on them “bothered me the most” — to the administration’s failure to ensure small businesses access to relief funds while state unemployment systems were overwhelmed. (Biden “was incredibly pissed off — furious” about it when his advisers described the problem to him, one told me.) On his calls, he has been most focused on fighting the disease and righting the economy. In his conversations with public-health experts like Kessler and former surgeon general Vivek Murthy, Biden usually hears up to half an hour of straight-ahead updates on disease projections, equipment distribution, and treatment research before he gets to his policy questions. In one of their talks, Kessler and Biden spent an hour on the phone discussing topics including “the intricacies of adenovirus vectors as vaccines, the detailed science. How do you make the virus? How’s it being tested, where it’s being tested,” Kessler said last month. “He wants me to engage in the scientific details because it helps him — he can take what we’re saying, and it helps him formulate a policy.” In another recent call, Biden’s briefers ran through the virus’s “R value” in each state and effective contact-tracing procedures.

• Thanks 1

Trump starts to throw out the 'its all rigged' slogan. This time he blames a city for opening up another polling place.  Just so happens the polling place is in a heavy democratic area. But it just so happens the mayor, who is a Republican, saw the need for additional access to voting. 

When tRump's ANTI-freedom to vote and  ANTI-access to vote become the 'rally cry' of a campaign, it should also become the rally cry of all true patriotic Americans to rally against such a campaign. 

https://news.yahoo.com/rigged-trump-foreshadows-could-undermine-120010040.html

In a move that could foreshadow his approach to November’s presidential election, Trump said Democrats were deliberately adding one of the few polling locations over the weekend in Lancaster, a city North of Los Angeles, where it was likely to benefit Democratic voters. “They are trying to steal another election. It’s all rigged out there. These votes must not count. SCAM!,” he tweeted.

The election is expected to take place largely by mail, common in California, and the state mailed a ballot to all registered voters in the district. Still, there will be some opportunity for in-person voting. But though Democrats complained that the lack of a polling location in Lancaster would harm minority voters, officials added the additional location after R Rex Parris, the city’s Republican mayor, requested it.

Though he thinks it’s dangerous to vote in person during the Covid-19 pandemic, Parris told the Guardian he made the request after realizing a nearby city had two polling locations, while his city had none. While he believes elections can be rigged and understood why it might have appeared that way to Trump, he said adding the polling location was not a Democratic power grab.

“I gotta take the rap. I called them up and said I want a vote center, so they gave it to me,” he said.

The California accusations underscore how the president could take advantage of the way voting procedures are rapidly changing in response to Covid-19 and question the legitimacy of election results in November.

• Thanks 1
41 minutes ago, knapplc said:

Biden continues to make overtures to the progressive wing of the party.

Don't worry, it's already being poo poo'd by progressives. The progressive wing should be thrilled to have the likes of AOC help fighting for progressive policies from within. Thats literally how you accomplish s#!t. Progressives could have 4 more years of Trump, or have people like AOC having actual sway within the White House. It's a f#&%ing no brainer. 

• Plus1 1

4 minutes ago, BlitzFirst said:

Hate to tell you guys this...but progressives are fractured right now.  There are Bernie or nobody people out there...but there are quite a few like me who are ready to move on from Bernie as a candidate and are ready to get Trump out of office and work on other progressive candidates for office everywhere.

I'm glad there are progressives like you and hopefully more will move into that group.

• Plus1 1
57 minutes ago, BlitzFirst said:

Hate to tell you guys this...but progressives are fractured right now.  There are Bernie or nobody people out there...but there are quite a few like me who are ready to move on from Bernie as a candidate and are ready to get Trump out of office and work on other progressive candidates for office everywhere.

This is what  happens with radical leftist ideology, pretty much every  time.  That's not to say that it never succeeds in gaining power, but every single time in human history that the really left ideas take over, a whole lot of people end up dead, including most of the ones who fought to get there and support. 

You guys really need to define "really left" if you're gonna talk about this, especially about people dying. I feel like maybe you're talking about communism.

Maybe my impression of people who call themselves progressive is wrong but I feel like progressives want universal health care as the #1, maybe some want UBI, and they want to slow down/prevent climate change. I want at least 2 of those things to happen so that probably makes me a progressive and I don't feel like I'm "really" anything or "radical" anything. I suppose no radicals feel like they're radical but I fail to see how universal health care is "out there.' Honestly UBI doesn't sound that crazy to me either but I feel like there'd just be inflation.

• Plus1 1