The 2020 Presidential Election - Convention & General Election

10 hours ago, JJ Husker said:

Can't provide proof to back up your delusional claims.

Toss in a straw man. Nobody is saying voting in person hasn't worked. 

And then claim voting by mail is some new power grab, like it hasn't been around a long time in many places already.

Do you know what day it is?

Is that air you're breathing?

You're not worth talking to and sure not worth listening to. 

If it's working, then What problem are you solving by moving the election to mail?  

Can you answer that question without saying we should vote online??

• Fire 1

Here is your grand experiment in a minor laboratory of demcracy

Voting fraud charges filed against Paterson councilman and councilman-elect

Attorney General Gurbir S. Grewal announced voting fraud charges against 1st Ward Councilman Michael Jackson, 3rd Ward Council-Elect Alex Mendez and two other men, weeks after the May 12 local election in which the Passaic County Board of Elections decided not to count 800 city ballots found scattered across different municipalities.

https://www.nj.com/passaic-county/2020/06/voting-fraud-charges-filed-against-paterson-councilman-and-councilman-elect.html

Was Florida 2000 really that long ago?

• Plus1 1

11 minutes ago, Notre Dame Joe said:

If it's working, then What problem are you solving by moving the election to mail?  

Can you answer that question without saying we should vote online??

It's an option for the convenience and health safety of the electorate. The last thing we should be doing during a pandemic is trying to cram all voters into common locations within a limited timeframe. How can you not understand this?

I trust voting by mail immensely more than voting online at this point. Online voting would be awesome if/when we can and will guarantee cyber security. But based on the last election, our national infrastructure doesn't seem to take cyber threats seriously enough.

• Plus1 1
1 minute ago, BlitzFirst said:

People from the left want:

1. Medicare for all

2. LGBTQ+ rights

3. Unions for rights of all workers

Last I checked it wasn't:

1. Medicare for all except blacks and Mexicans

2. LGBTQ oh hellno

3. Unions for all except blacks and Mexicans

If you're all about Medicare for all but you're racist and don't want black people to have it...you're not a progressive....you're a racist.  There is no right or left for racists.

Correct.

• Plus1 1
16 minutes ago, Notre Dame Joe said:

Here is your grand experiment in a minor laboratory of demcracy

Voting fraud charges filed against Paterson councilman and councilman-elect

https://www.nj.com/passaic-county/2020/06/voting-fraud-charges-filed-against-paterson-councilman-and-councilman-elect.html

Was Florida 2000 really that long ago?

Do you know the meaning of the word "anecdote"? Look it up.

You could find just as many if not more similar stories of potential voter fraud and manipulation from in person polling locations. No method will ever be 100% perfect.

Do you need anecdotes (I'm hoping you know what that means now that you've looked it up) of the millions of mail in ballots that have been executed perfectly in this country?

• Plus1 1
4 hours ago, JJ Husker said:

It's an option for the convenience and health safety of the electorate. The last thing we should be doing during a pandemic is trying to cram all voters into common locations within a limited timeframe. How can you not understand this?

I trust voting by mail immensely more than voting online at this point. Online voting would be awesome if/when we can and will guarantee cyber security. But based on the last election, our national infrastructure doesn't seem to take cyber threats seriously enough.

Vote by mail was not instituted because of the Corona virus and will not go away with it.  It's put in place when the Ds get control of the state for the purposes of keeping them in power. 

But it doesn't only serve them.  One can very easily imagine how there would be a 'mistake' in a Red state that results in a lot of ballots not being sent to certain communities. I would posit that the people who change addresses very frequently tend strongly to be Ds.  That would mean ballots are being sent to where they no longer live, which of course is already happening in a mobile society.

4 hours ago, JJ Husker said:

Do you know the meaning of the word "anecdote"? Look it up.

You could find just as many if not more similar stories of potential voter fraud and manipulation from in person polling locations. No method will ever be 100% perfect.

Do you need anecdotes (I'm hoping you know what that means now that you've looked it up) of the millions of mail in ballots that have been executed perfectly in this country?

The difference is that's it's a lot easier to police the polling place anecdotes for many reasons.   The first of which is that they didn't scatter unrequested ballots across the district.  

• Fire 1

6 hours ago, Notre Dame Joe said:

Vote by mail was not instituted because of the Corona virus and will not go away with it.  It's put in place when the Ds get control of the state for the purposes of keeping them in power. 

Utah is a solid red state that has only mail in balloting.  guess they didn't get the message.

7 hours ago, Notre Dame Joe said:

But it doesn't only serve them.  One can very easily imagine how there would be a 'mistake' in a Red state that results in a lot of ballots not being sent to certain communities. I would posit that the people who change addresses very frequently tend strongly to be Ds.  That would mean ballots are being sent to where they no longer live, which of course is already happening in a mobile society.

The difference is that's it's a lot easier to police the polling place anecdotes for many reasons.   The first of which is that they didn't scatter unrequested ballots across the district.  

So, you don't have any good fact based reasons why you perceive mail in ballots to be some sort of problem. Your opinion is only supported by a whacky conspiracy theory that clearly was self servingly developed with malicious intent.

You are correct, vote by mail was not instituted for the coronavirus. It's been around for a long long time and, head scratchingly for you, has not been a problem until DJT fell way behind in the polls. I'm sorry you are unable/unwilling to wrap your mind around why it's all of a sudden become an issue.

I've been voting by mail for years, decades really. It's so dirt simple that it makes my head hurt that you can't grasp the concept. The elections department of the clerk and recorders office of my county mails a ballot, addressed to me at my legally registered address. Voters have to register with an address to be eligible to vote. It actually arrives with my name on it. It's not like they dump truckloads of blank ballots in strategically political locations. I have to sign my name, stating I am the one casting the ballot. It is against the law to vote another's ballot or to cast more than one ballot. I fill out my ballot and then I have the choice of returning it by mail or of dropping it off at numerous official ballot collection locations in my county. It's weird but I usually pick one that is conveniently located near my house. It even has a bar code that allows me to go online to confirm that it was received.  Scandalous and impossible to fathom......:facepalm:

• Plus1 4
  • Thanks 1
10 hours ago, Notre Dame Joe said:

It's utterly ridiculous you'll go to these lengths to crap on vote by mail because "it keeps Dems in power" and yet insist Rs don't do the same thing with gerrymandering and voter suppression. 

But hey, don't bite the hand that feeds, right?

• Plus1 1
2 hours ago, JJ Husker said:

So, you don't have any good fact based reasons why you perceive mail in ballots to be some sort of problem. Your opinion is only supported by a whacky conspiracy theory that clearly was self servingly developed with malicious intent.

You are correct, vote by mail was not instituted for the coronavirus. It's been around for a long long time and, head scratchingly for you, has not been a problem until DJT fell way behind in the polls. I'm sorry you are unable/unwilling to wrap your mind around why it's all of a sudden become an issue.

I've been voting by mail for years, decades really. It's so dirt simple that it makes my head hurt that you can't grasp the concept. The elections department of the clerk and recorders office of my county mails a ballot, addressed to me at my legally registered address. Voters have to register with an address to be eligible to vote. It actually arrives with my name on it. It's not like they dump truckloads of blank ballots in strategically political locations. I have to sign my name, stating I am the one casting the ballot. It is against the law to vote another's ballot or to cast more than one ballot. I fill out my ballot and then I have the choice of returning it by mail or of dropping it off at numerous official ballot collection locations in my county. It's weird but I usually pick one that is conveniently located near my house. It even has a bar code that allows me to go online to confirm that it was received.  Scandalous and impossible to fathom......:facepalm:

Well said, man. +1. Beat me to it.

The list of reasons Republicans don't want vote-by mail, as I see it:

1. They earnestly believe Trump's wackadoodle theories about rampant voter fraud (a decent chunk of them, probably)
  2. They are unable to take positions that oppose those Trump holds (applies to almost all of them)
  3. If more people vote, they tend to lose (ditto)
  4. They don't like or believe in federal government, except to the extent it can do things they like, so they are fine with destroying the post office if it hatchets absentee voting during a pandemic and enables them to maintain their stranglehold on power (win-win as they see it)

Feel free to add to the list. But it's pretty clear what their motives are here.

Also, Trump out here pretending there's a difference between absentee and vote-by-mail why they mail out ballot applications to their voters.

• Plus1 1
1 hour ago, Danny Bateman said:

Well said, man. +1. Beat me to it.

The list of reasons Republicans don't want vote-by mail, as I see it:

1. They earnestly believe Trump's wackadoodle theories about rampant voter fraud (a decent chunk of them, probably)
  2. They are unable to take positions that oppose those Trump holds (applies to almost all of them)
  3. If more people vote, they tend to lose (ditto)
  4. They don't like or believe in federal government, except to the extent it can do things they like, so they are fine with destroying the post office if it hatchets absentee voting during a pandemic and enables them to maintain their stranglehold on power (win-win as they see it)

Feel free to add to the list. But it's pretty clear what their motives are here.

Also, Trump out here pretending there's a difference between absentee and vote-by-mail why they mail out ballot applications to their voters.

5.  Trump wants to avoid jail as long as possible.