Keyshawn Johnson Jr. Taking Leave of Absence from Huskers

I think it's ridiculous that he yanked him out of school personally. Is he not going to hang out with the same guys once he comes back to school? If he even comes back. What if some are his teammates? I wonder if his son is happy with what his father did. I get the teaching a lesson bit but I would never yank my kid completely out of college for getting caught smoking pot. His son is a man now. If he was meant to get caught again or get to a point where he got kicked off the team then that lesson while hard to learn would probably have more of an impact on his life and teach him that actions sometimes can have serious repercussions more than moving him back home to live with mommy and daddy. I don't think helicopter parenting does that.

I think it's ridiculous that he yanked him out of school personally. Is he not going to hang out with the same guys once he comes back to school? If he even comes back. What if some are his teammates? I wonder if his son is happy with what his father did. I get the teaching a lesson bit but I would never yank my kid completely out of college for getting caught smoking pot. His son is a man now. If he was meant to get caught again or get to a point where he got kicked off the team then that lesson while hard to learn would probably have more of an impact on his life and teach him that actions sometimes can have serious repercussions more than moving him back home to live with mommy and daddy. I don't think helicopter parenting does that.

there's been many rumors that it's more than just weed, man.
  • Fire 1

So there are rumors? Care to expand on that?

I've heard his efforts in the classroom may not have been entirely there as well, and other stuff like that. Basically stuff to reinforce Riley saying that this isn't one big party. Like I said, though, just rumors. Nothing more

Rumors generally grow deformed as they travel so if it was weed and grades (again partial rumors from another 'message board') again pulling him completely out of school to go back and live with his parents seems like the wrong way to teach someone life skills.

Honestly in the end whatever happens happens. I'm not losing sleep over him but wish him the best regardless.

We have no clue about what Gregory's "mental issues" were as a freshman in high school, or for that matter, KJJ's. We don' know how wild KJJ got either, we just know he was publicized getting caught in the dorm once.

I think the poster's comment is legit concern, and a general statement - if a parent, mentor, coach etc steps in when they see or sense things are off kilter with a kid it is never a bad thing. Regardless of money, famous-ness etc.

You're trying to make an argument about something that just wasn't implied.

Randy Gregory used drugs to cope with bipolar disorder and depression, it's been written about extensively. Randy is not KJJ and KJJ is not Randy. Sure, things may have been different if someone pulled Randy out of school, but they also may have been exactly same.

Things may be different for KJJ, but they also may be exactly the same. What are you trying to say? There's no use in anyone stepping in trying to help a young man out because they may never change? Randy Gregory may have failed himself, but he had coaches and people around him that failed him along the way as well.

I'm still intrigued by his quote suggesting that Keyshawn Johnson, Sr. was worried about Keyshawn Johnson, Jr. sullying his good name on the football field.

KJ Sr. hasn't exactly exhibited model behavior as an adult: domestic violence charge, cheating scandal, contractor lawsuit and oh yeah, first contestant booted off "Dancing with the Stars."

And as a former Dallas Cowboy, he's officially guilty of everything.

• Fire 1

I'm still intrigued by his quote suggesting that Keyshawn Johnson, Sr. was worried about Keyshawn Johnson, Jr. sullying his good name on the football field.

KJ Sr. hasn't exactly exhibited model behavior as an adult: domestic violence charge, cheating scandal, contractor lawsuit and oh yeah, first contestant booted off "Dancing with the Stars."

And as a former Dallas Cowboy, he's officially guilty of everything.

"Do as I say not as I do?"

Honestly I like the move Sr. made, and I'm sure there's a lot going on we have no clue about. It wasn't a rash or easy decision to pull him, especially knowing his recognition in the state of NE and Sr's. status publically. I wish he'd added something along the lines of "believe me, I've screwed up and I don't want my son to take that path - while I can I'll do anything I can to insure he's straight" but I'm going to choose to believe that he implied it by his actions.

We have no clue about what Gregory's "mental issues" were as a freshman in high school, or for that matter, KJJ's. We don' know how wild KJJ got either, we just know he was publicized getting caught in the dorm once.

I think the poster's comment is legit concern, and a general statement - if a parent, mentor, coach etc steps in when they see or sense things are off kilter with a kid it is never a bad thing. Regardless of money, famous-ness etc.

You're trying to make an argument about something that just wasn't implied.

Randy Gregory used drugs to cope with bipolar disorder and depression, it's been written about extensively. Randy is not KJJ and KJJ is not Randy. Sure, things may have been different if someone pulled Randy out of school, but they also may have been exactly same.

Things may be different for KJJ, but they also may be exactly the same. What are you trying to say? There's no use in anyone stepping in trying to help a young man out because they may never change? Randy Gregory may have failed himself, but he had coaches and people around him that failed him along the way as well.

Who failed Randy?

I'm saying you can't compare the two.

Dude - nobody ever compared the two. You jumped to that. He only said he wished someone had been as proactive with Gregory. Maybe they were - who knows.

Let's stop beating a dead horse. Point was that taking steps to help a kid at any age is good. Period.

I don't understand how anybody could have a problem with what KJ Sr. is trying to instill in his son here. Just look at his rationale for doing it summarized in post #115. This isn't helicopter parenting or anything of the sort. It is just a dad trying to do what is in the kids best interest. Not all kids are mature enough at that age to make good decisions and this is a case where letting him get it wrong on his own may not be the best path. I think it is a great decision and if more parents acted like this there would be fewer problems in the world. He knows his son better than we do. It's apparent this was a mutual decision arrived at between Senior, MR and Jr. And now Junior knows exactly what is expected and what he has to do. He still has the power to decide to not straighten up and fly right but he is getting the opportunity to start over and do it the right way. Better than just getting booted with no chance at redemption. I don't see any downside whatsoever.

• Fire 1

It will be a great decision if Keyshawn Jr. doesn't simply go back and sulk in Southern California, join a crew of like-minded 18 year olds, and punish his father for what he perceives as public humiliation. Maybe the kid never wanted the pressure of living up to his dad. It happens.

In other words, since it's all speculation on a private family matter, it's hard to judge either way.