Keyshawn Johnson Jr. Taking Leave of Absence from Huskers

Misfired on another high end recruit. Normal around here. Don't get your hopes up for a return. A hiccup like this is indicative of many more issues/baggage. We want the guys who show up to play. Sounds to me like the kid has some growing up to do.

Is it because we do not run the ball enough?

Sometimes in life there are not second chances and for KJJ the opportunity for him to grow up and mature is there for the taking. He either does it and is allowed back, or takes the easy way out and is not allowed back. My guess is that Senior gets some conditioning coach to get him ready for college football in 2018. And Senior pushes Keyshawn to work hard because you don't slack off just because you are his son.

Hey Huskerboy Mike,

I dont appreciate you dogging me like that.

Not playing not that big of a deal.

Not practicing is not helpful.

Losing practice time in the fall is mitigated a bit by him being here for spring practice. It's almost a wash, really.
15 spring practices doesn't equal missing 5 months of practice from August through December.

No, but he's been introduced to both the practice structure, playbook and routines the team employs. It's not a complete blank slate he'd be starting from.

And, he still has a redshirt.

Misfired on another high end recruit. Normal around here. Don't get your hopes up for a return. A hiccup like this is indicative of many more issues/baggage. We want the guys who show up to play. Sounds to me like the kid has some growing up to do.

Is it because we do not run the ball enough?

Sometimes in life there are not second chances and for KJJ the opportunity for him to grow up and mature is there for the taking. He either does it and is allowed back, or takes the easy way out and is not allowed back. My guess is that Senior gets some conditioning coach to get him ready for college football in 2018. And Senior pushes Keyshawn to work hard because you don't slack off just because you are his son.

Hey Huskerboy Mike,

I dont appreciate you dogging me like that.

It was a sarcastic joke. Right now I am not going to go on a tangent in this thread with you so just know that.

As many have said it is great that senior is not letting his son slack off. I am starting to think that maybe he was not quite ready to enroll early, because after the spring game we saw Key. Sr getting on KJJ after the spring game performance. The incident left me wondering if something was going on outside of football that made dad not happy or if KJJ did not have the right attitude or mindset going into the spring game. Whatever it is lets hope KJJ matures and comes back ready to work hard and learn from his mistakes. Dad will probably condition him up, discipline him and train him hard while he is gone. Hopefully he comes back but if he does not mature he might not be back. We shall see.

Keyshawn Sr. be all like tumblr_inline_omc3476hdn1txgqsw_500.gif

Keyshawn Jr. has already contributed more to the program than a lot of 4 year players. He got the ball rolling with all this recruiting hype.

With behavior like this, I hope it wasn't, shall we say, Miami-style recruiting...

Keyshawn Sr. be all like tumblr_inline_omc3476hdn1txgqsw_500.gif

Keyshawn Jr. has already contributed more to the program than a lot of 4 year players. He got the ball rolling with all this recruiting hype.

With behavior like this, I hope it wasn't, shall we say, Miami-style recruiting...

Right. because Nebraska recruited every player every time within the rules....

Keyshawn Sr did the right thing in pulling Jr if he thought that it might spiral into something more.

He is very wrong in airing things out to the public on social media

I agree with your first statement 100% and would normally agree with the second statement too.

But in this instance, I think Sr. is actually protecting Jr. from rumors, innuendo, etc. by addressing the story head on - even in this thread the tone of comments has changed noticeably since Sr. went on the record. Of course, I haven't seen everything Sr. has said on social media and maybe something crossed a line. He's known to speak his mind, so I could see him going too far, but, because of that reputation, I think it'd be worse for Jr. if he said nothing.

Aside from that, I could actually see this end up being a positive thing for recruiting... parents.

Lots of coaches and programs say they care about the players off the field and in the classroom but I am not sure how many actually do. I think MR is sincere (I certainly hope he is). I have no doubt Charlie Strong is serious about it. To me, this looks like a program working with parents to help them do what they think is best for their son and I think a lot of parents will see it that way too.

Hopefully, it all works out for Jr. and Nebraska. If it does, you know Sr. will have lots to say about it....

• Fire 4