The Courts under Trump - Mega Thread

I heard someone floating the idea of that if Kav goes down, that Trump should nominate Sen Mike Lee of Utah.  Squeaky clean, one of the senate's own but lacking in judicial experience. 

Part of Wiki's profile:

Lee is a graduate of Brigham Young University. Lee began his career as a clerk for the U.S. District Court for the District of Utah before serving as a clerk for future Supreme Court Justice Samuel Alito, who was then a judge on the Third Circuit Court of Appeals. He then entered private practice with the Sidley Austin law firm in Washington D.C. In 2002, Lee returned to his home state to work as an Assistant United States Attorney for the District of Utah, a position he held until 2005. Subsequently, he joined the administration of Utah Governor Jon Huntsman, serving as the general counsel in the office of the governor from 2005 to 2006. Lee then reentered private practice in Washington D.C., with Howrey LLP.

Graham is calling all of the accusers liars with this statement. 

"I can only imagine how awful this entire process has been for Judge Kavanaugh and his family," Graham said. “I would again ask every senator who believes Judge Kavanaugh is a highly qualified, capable nominee to the Supreme Court to not quit on him.

It is incredibly important we do not legitimize these smears and attempts at character assassination for the good of the Court, the future of the Senate, and the character of our nation."

• Plus1 3

59 minutes ago, schriznoeder said:

Now Ford's ex-boyfriend is getting involved? Seriously, at what point does Donnie just hit the reset button and start over with a new candidate? Oh right, he's too into "winning" to ever do that...

Why is it there's always a little dig that insinuates the accusers is somehow immoral, unfaithful, or otherwise a "slut" when it comes to these cases? That's rhetorical, I know how character assassination works... This thing is such a cluster f#&% now...

• Plus1 1
13 minutes ago, ZRod said:

Why is it there's always a little dig that insinuates the accusers is somehow immoral, unfaithful, or otherwise a "slut" when it comes to these cases? That's rhetorical, I know how character assassination works... This thing is such a cluster f#&% now...

Well, considering the source of the tweet I wouldn't expect anything less. The only reason I used it is because I couldn't find a good copy of the letter anywhere else.

1 hour ago, BigRedBuster said:

Well, that's evidence of perjury during his hearing. Got to be disqualifying for a SCOTUS candidate, right? Unfortunately, we live in hypocritical and ridiculous times where the party of personal responsibility will take none and blame everyone else.

• Plus1 1
49 minutes ago, RedDenver said:

Well, that's evidence of perjury during his hearing. Got to be disqualifying for a SCOTUS candidate, right? Unfortunately, we live in hypocritical and ridiculous times where the party of personal responsibility will take none and blame everyone else.

They'd already decided in advance that getting a conservative majority on the Court was worth any price. A pervasive quality to the GOP at this point is they elevate getting and holding power above everything else to the point of being pathological for them and screwing over anyone who tries to get in their way. It's poetic justice that they picked such a garbage human being as Kavanaugh that would blow up in their face nationally like this. Republicans themselves have sure rallied behind him, but everyone else pretty unanimously thinks this guy shouldn't be on the Court.

But sounds like McConnell wants a vote this Friday. I think this saga is about to wrap itself up. I think the best we can hope for at this point is that Roberts takes the institutional reputation of the Court seriously enough to not let it turn into judicial arm of the Republican Party AND they get destroyed at midterms and in 2020 in response to ignoring or acting outright hostile to the majority of the country. And for overreaching. And for utterly lacking accountability and oversight. There's any number of reasons the GOP deserves to get wiped out in November.

• Plus1 2
  • Thanks 1