The Courts under Trump - Mega Thread

4 minutes ago, Ric Flair said:

You REALLY don’t think that being accused of being a sexual predator and gang rapist won’t affect his life...or is mere hyperbole?

I think the accusation that he's going to be the victim is far more useful to Republican partisans than are going to be actually damaging to his career.

• Plus1 1

12 minutes ago, Moiraine said:

I’m just wondering why you singled Booker out. I’m wondering what examples there are where he put party before country. Working on behalf of your party/being partisan is not necessarily putting party before country if you truly believe in your party’s ideals. I don’t think every staunch Republican, including the ones in congress, is guilty of this. I would guess the majority are. Like the ones who want to do nothing to stop Russia from influencing our elections because maybe they’re helping the GOP. That’s an example. I don’t know much about Booker so I’m asking what he has done that’s like that.

And you know I’m an independent. I just view what you’re talking about much more negatively than merely being partisan. I think you can be partisan and not do what you’re talking about if you think all those party’s viewpoints are things that help the country. You don’t have to agree with any conservative ideals to support the country over party if you don’t think any of them will help it. You’re probably wrong, but to me it’s a harsh accusation that requires more than that. You have to knowingly support something that hurts the country because it helps the party. 

I firmly believe that the vast majority of politicians in Washington believe what they are doing is best for the country.  AND....what is best for the country is for their party to be in power.  So, doing whatever it takes to keep that power is what's best for America.  Republicans and Trump have sold their souls to Russia to make that happen and that's a major problem right now.

This is why, for the most part, I prefer to discuss issues that I either disagree or agree with about a certain politician instead of how they are evil and out to destroy everything that's good about America.

Politicians from BOTH SIDES (:hmmph Yes, I said it) are extremely guilty of this.  They will do what ever it takes and try to convince everyone of whatever it takes about the other side so that their party remains in power....because they believe that's what's best for America.

Trump is the one exception to this with me mostly because I believe he is one of the most disgusting politicians ever to grace Washington and he doesn't even try to hide it.  It is utterly an embarrassment to the country.  When he doesn't even try to hide his pathetic personality, I have no problem continuing to point it out.

• Plus1 2
10 minutes ago, Ric Flair said:

There is no evidence that Kavanaugh committed sexual assault. And Booker’s remarks abiut how anyone who suppors is complicit in evil were made BEFORE these allegations came to light. 

You REALLY don’t think that being accused of being a sexual predator and gang rapist won’t affect his life...or is mere hyperbole? He already lost his teaching gig at Harvard over this. I think your statement in this regard is almost inexplicably idiotic. Of course thise sorts of accusations are going to have an effect. Hiw could they not?

And with regard to #1, how many Democrats came out, even before hearing from Ford and Kavanaugh, to say they believed Ford? If they believe Ford, they think Kavanaugh is a sexual predator and a liar. 

I find it interesting that Republicans feel so sorry for Kavanaugh for being accused of sexual assault.....when they vote in a President that brags about sexually assaulting women and that President has supported child molesters.

I guess I was thinking that sexually aggressive men towards women was a badge of honor to Republicans.

• Plus1 3
14 minutes ago, Ric Flair said:

There is no evidence that Kavanaugh committed sexual assault.

TESTIMONY = EVIDENCE

On 8/21/2018 at 10:03 PM, Ric Flair said:

I have a legal background and know quite a bit about the subject matter.

tenor.gif

• Plus1 5
11 minutes ago, QMany said:

TESTIMONY = EVIDENCE

tenor.gif

How about some corroborating evidence? Her story is full of holes and everyone she says was there says they have no memory of any such thing. 

Anyone can allege anything against anyone.  Michael Avenatti and Dianne Feinstein are probably trolling loony bins right niw looking for someone to claim Kavanaugh ran some white slavery and human trafficking ring back in the 80’s.

• Plus1 1

14 minutes ago, Ric Flair said:

No doubt testimony from an alleged victim is evidence. What we’re loking for....or should be looking for here...is corroborating evidence.

I thought that was clear. Apparently not.

Kind of difficult to get corroborating evidence without an investigation, no?

• Plus1 4
1 hour ago, Ric Flair said:

No doubt testimony from an alleged victim is evidence. What we’re loking for....or should be looking for here...is corroborating evidence.

I thought that was clear. Apparently not.

First there was no evidence...now there is no corroberating evidence. Seems like a pretty big difference to me.

• Plus1 1

Ric, two thoughts:

I think Booker was probably referring to Kavanaugh as complicit in evil in the sense he's a blank check for any Republican policies, such as taking children away from their parents and sticking them in cages, blatant racial profiling and abuse of power to enforce immigration policies, unchecked freedom for corporations to pollute and destroy our planet to boost their bottom dollar... and on and on. Kavanaugh is a vote in favor of any distinctly GOP/Trumpian policies, some of which are indeed evil. That Booker would make this argument to a liberal audience isn't at all surprising, given our polarized climate right now. It's certainly not going to help things become less partisan, though.

Also, I seriously doubt if Kavanaugh assaulted Ford he made an announcement for everyone to come check out the sexual assault he was about to commit. She said it was only her, Kavanaugh & Judge in the room. So of course nobody else would recall it - they weren't there to witness it.

• Plus1 1

Of course anyone's recollections aren't perfect, but if you were the least bit unsure and about to put yourself in the national spotlight and partisan nightmare, would you call out the corroborating witness by name, especially if he's the accused's best friend? 

And if you were the accused's best friend and you both were being slandered by an unreliable witness, wouldn't you rush to his defense? 

• Plus1 2

Will another Arizona Senator bite Trump on a crucial issue? :dunno  As you recall, McCain gave the famous thumbs down motion in regards to his vote to repeal Obamacare. 

Now, I would not be surprised to see Sen Flake to do the same thing with Kav as a parting 'up yours' to Trump (hopefully for not that reason but out of concern for the 'sanctity' of the court).

Stay tuned in - we will know soon. :tv

https://www.theatlantic.com/politics/archive/2018/10/jeff-flake-criticizes-supreme-court-nominee-kavanaugh/571915/

Speaking with Jeffrey Rosen, the president of the Constitution Center, and Democratic Senator Chris Coons at The Atlantic Festival on Tuesday morning, Flake called the judge’s interactions with lawmakers “sharp and partisan.”   “We can’t have that on the Court,” said the Arizona senator, who didn’t elaborate on which interactions he was referring to.

• Plus1 1
2 hours ago, Nebfanatic said:

First there was no evidence...now there is no corroberating evidence. Seems like a pretty big difference to me.

And eventually it gets to, "Well there is corroborating evidence of his drinking habits, his perjury, a pattern of sexual assault, and his duplicity, just not corroborating evidence for the specific details of that specific night with that specific woman."

• Plus1 1