The Courts under Trump - Mega Thread

3 hours ago, Ric Flair said:

The Democrats have falsely accused him of being a sexual predator and gang rapist. They loudly proclaimed they would never support anyone Trump named and announced they would not support him as soon as he was announced as the nominee. Corey Booker called him evil. Then they sat on Ford’s allegations until after the committee hearings, for madimum political effect. They are perfectly willing to lie about and destroy a good man for political gain.

And  you’re upset he was rude to them

That’s completely insane. 

Literally none of that matters as to whether or not he's fit to serve.

3 hours ago, Ric Flair said:

The Democrats have falsely accused him of being a sexual predator and gang rapist. They loudly proclaimed they would never support anyone Trump named and announced they would not support him as soon as he was announced as the nominee. Corey Booker called him evil. Then they sat on Ford’s allegations until after the committee hearings, for madimum political effect. They are perfectly willing to lie about and destroy a good man for political gain.

And  you’re upset he was rude to them

That’s completely insane. 

What Democrat accused Kavanaugh of being a gang rapist?

Kavanaugh is not being "destroyed."  He may be denied a seat on the Supreme Court, but if not he'll go back to his life.  Same thing happened to Merrick Garland. 

Cory Booker did not call Kavanaugh evil. He said supporting Kavanaugh makes you complicit in evil. 

• Plus1 2

1 hour ago, knapplc said:

What Democrat accused Kavanaugh of being a gang rapist?

Kavanaugh is not being "destroyed."  He may be denied a seat on the Supreme Court, but if not he'll go back to his life.  Same thing happened to Merrick Garland. 

Cory Booker did not call Kavanaugh evil. He said supporting Kavanaugh makes you complicit in evil. 

1. Every one who has treated Swetnick’s charges as at all credible.

2. He’s been accused of being a sexual predator and gang rapist. If he’s denied a SC seat, it’s not like his life just reverts back to normal.

3. That’s a distinction without a difference. Why would supporting Kavanaugh make one complicit in evil unless Kavanaugh were evil. Feel free to take your time.

• Plus1 1
17 minutes ago, Ric Flair said:

2. He’s been accused of being a sexual predator and gang rapist. If he’s denied a SC seat, it’s not like his life just reverts back to normal.

3. That’s a distinction without a difference. Why would supporting Kavanaugh make one complicit in evil unless Kavanaugh were evil. Feel free to take your time.

1. I haven't heard any single Democrat at all trumpet Swetnick's claims. They merely stated that there appear to be multiple accusers, indicating a potential pattern, and that the FBI should be allowed to do their due diligence to confirm their veracity or debunk them.

2. I haven't seen a single elected Democrat call him a predator OR a gang rapist. I think they're largely being pretty tepid about it, given their history with Clinton, and waiting for the FBI to confirm anything before using such charged language.  A quick Google search turned up ONE midterm candidate that called him a predator. That's it.

3. Does your take on this answer change if someone corroborates Kavanaugh's alleged misconduct? Because then, yes, voting to put someone who did those things on the Supreme Court because you want your majority would make one complicit in evil.

• Plus1 1
8 hours ago, Ric Flair said:

So #1 is a lie. No Democrats have done that. I think Avenatti has, but clearly he has nothing to do with "the Democrats."

And #2 is a gross exaggeration. He's not on trial, he won't be on trial, he'll go back to his regular gig if he isn't seated, and this is yet more nonsense hyperbole.

And even if you balk at that distinction, the fact is, if you support a person who has committed sexual assault, I think that credibly makes you complicit in evil.  I'd like to hear a reasonable objection to that.  But the reality is, I'll credible state that if you put party before country, that makes you complicit in evil. That encompasses Cory Booker and most of the diehard Trump supporters. 

• Plus1 1

So #1 is a lie. No Democrats have done that. I think Avenatti has, but clearly he has nothing to do with "the Democrats."

And #2 is a gross exaggeration. He's not on trial, he won't be on trial, he'll go back to his regular gig if he isn't seated, and this is yet more nonsense hyperbole.

And even if you balk at that distinction, the fact is, if you support a person who has committed sexual assault, I think that credibly makes you complicit in evil.  I'd like to hear a reasonable objection to that.  But the reality is, I'll credible state that if you put party before country, that makes you complicit in evil. That encompasses Cory Booker and most of the diehard Trump supporters. 

What did Cory Booker do?

2 minutes ago, Moiraine said:

What did Cory Booker do?

Cory Booker is a Democrat partisan and works diligently on behalf of the Democrat party. He doesn't put "country first" because his practices and policies don't encompass conservative ideals. While he may disagree with those ideals, conservatives are a major part of American society. 

It's a pipe dream in today's political climate to hope for a bipartisan congressperson, I know. But that doesn't mean I can't call out partisans for their partisan behavior.

• Plus1 1
17 minutes ago, knapplc said:

Cory Booker is a Democrat partisan and works diligently on behalf of the Democrat party. He doesn't put "country first" because his practices and policies don't encompass conservative ideals. While he may disagree with those ideals, conservatives are a major part of American society. 

It's a pipe dream in today's political climate to hope for a bipartisan congressperson, I know. But that doesn't mean I can't call out partisans for their partisan behavior.

I’m just wondering why you singled Booker out. I’m wondering what examples there are where he put party before country. Working on behalf of your party/being partisan is not necessarily putting party before country if you truly believe in your party’s ideals. I don’t think every staunch Republican, including the ones in congress, is guilty of this. I would guess the majority are. Like the ones who want to do nothing to stop Russia from influencing our elections because maybe they’re helping the GOP. That’s an example. I don’t know much about Booker so I’m asking what he has done that’s like that.

And you know I’m an independent. I just view what you’re talking about much more negatively than merely being partisan. I think you can be partisan and not do what you’re talking about if you think all those party’s viewpoints are things that help the country. You don’t have to agree with any conservative ideals to support the country over party if you don’t think any of them will help it. You’re probably wrong, but to me it’s a harsh accusation that requires more than that. You have to knowingly support something that hurts the country because it helps the party. 

Conservatives being part of the country is not a relevant argument here in my opinion. There are very unpopular policies that maybe the majority of people would be against but would be good for the country. One I always think about is water conservation laws. Whoever would enact something like that might be voted out even if it was for the overall benefit. IMO the best politician is the one who does what’s best for the country regardless of what constituents think of it, but they have to also not be an idiot. 

There is no evidence that Kavanaugh committed sexual assault. And Booker’s remarks abiut how anyone who suppors is complicit in evil were made BEFORE these allegations came to light. 

You REALLY don’t think that being accused of being a sexual predator and gang rapist won’t affect his life...or is mere hyperbole? He already lost his teaching gig at Harvard over this. I think your statement in this regard is almost inexplicably idiotic. Of course thise sorts of accusations are going to have an effect. Hiw could they not?

And with regard to #1, how many Democrats came out, even before hearing from Ford and Kavanaugh, to say they believed Ford? If they believe Ford, they think Kavanaugh is a sexual predator and a liar. 

• Plus1 1