The Courts under Trump - Mega Thread

1 hour ago, BigRedBuster said:

I'm not judging the investigation either way with this comment.

But, it's not like the FBI doesn't have hours of testimony from these two to look at.

I'm not judging the report until I get the chance to read it, which may never happen. But I am, however, judging the investigation, mostly because dozens of key witnesses weren't interviewed, including Ford and Kavanaugh. Even though in theory what someone says in private testimony vs. what they say in public testimony shouldn't vary significantly, it oftentimes does (this last caveat is backed up by several of my trial lawyer friends). 

• Plus1 1

The sexual assault accusations are a serious , possibly criminal thing that needs to be investigated properly. I believe they purposefully weren’t, and aren’t going to be, which is wrong  . That is only one reason Kavanaugh should not be handed this job though  . 

I recently had a job interview, where three people peppered me with questions. I was expected to answer calmly , thoroughly , truthfully , and articulately to have any chance of getting the job . If I would have yelled at the interviewers, given purposefully evasive answers , accused them of conspiring against me , couldn’t remember key details about myself , or even outright lied on some things (as Brett did )   I certainly would   have been eliminated from consideration . 

I’m sure there were many other qualified applicants for the job I applied for, as there are many Judges suitable for the SCOTUS so there’s no reason to give the job to anyone but the best candidate . 

Unfortunately nothing matters but the GOP and Trump getting “their boy” on the court and furthering their agenda , so that’s whats going to happen . 

• Plus1 2

1 minute ago, schriznoeder said:

I know a filibuster isn't likely (mostly because of McConnell's conniving), but it'd be a great opportunity for a senator to stand at the podium and read the entire "confidential" report aloud.

Or the partisan parts of Kavanaugh’s testimony.

• Plus1 2
On 10/2/2018 at 5:12 PM, Moiraine said:

Graham is calling all of the accusers liars with this statement. 

Moiraine, it is interesting to note that 2 of the accusers have back away from some of their earlier testimony or that others have not collaborated their stories.  It should also be noted that Ms Ford's testimony was not iron clad either.  So I go back to my previous posts - this process did not do any 'sides' any favors.  Due process was not served.  In the end while Kav went on a rant and Ms Ford seemed to be very well 'coached' it still comes down to 'he said, she said' with the tie breaker being that there were others who said it didn't happen. 

I don't know what happened nor does any one else on this board  know what happen with 100% certainty.  I do know this - the guilty sometimes go free and the innocent sometimes go to jail. The accusers sometime tell the truth and the guilty go free and the accusers sometimes tell lies and the innocent go to jail.  The accused sometimes are persuasive enough to avoid the consequences and at other times bear the consequences unjustly.  Times like this we need the wisdom of Solomon but instead of tearing the baby in half (if you don't know the Biblical story - look it up) we are tearing our nation in half.  The 11/10 split in the committee is reflective of our nation.

• Plus1 1
2 hours ago, TGHusker said:

Moiraine, it is interesting to note that 2 of the accusers have back away from some of their earlier testimony or that others have not collaborated their stories.  It should also be noted that Ms Ford's testimony was not iron clad either.  So I go back to my previous posts - this process did not do any 'sides' any favors.  Due process was not served.  In the end while Kav went on a rant and Ms Ford seemed to be very well 'coached' it still comes down to 'he said, she said' with the tie breaker being that there were others who said it didn't happen. 

I don't know what happened nor does any one else on this board  know what happen with 100% certainty.  I do know this - the guilty sometimes go free and the innocent sometimes go to jail. The accusers sometime tell the truth and the guilty go free and the accusers sometimes tell lies and the innocent go to jail.  The accused sometimes are persuasive enough to avoid the consequences and at other times bear the consequences unjustly.  Times like this we need the wisdom of Solomon but instead of tearing the baby in half (if you don't know the Biblical story - look it up) we are tearing our nation in half.  The 11/10 split in the committee is reflective of our nation.

I’m past the high school accusations. His testimony alone and his behavior in that setting should be reason enough to vote “no”.  Our nation has drastically lowered it’s standards and it is uphauling....

• Plus1 5
7 hours ago, BigRedBuster said:

I'm not judging the investigation either way with this comment.

But, it's not like the FBI doesn't have hours of testimony from these two to look at.

And it's not like the questions asked by professional investigators with unlimited time and training on asking questions and the ability and support to follow up with any individuals mentioned in an interview are any different than politicians who are given a total of 5 mins to speak, often times choosing to just use that time to go on a diatribe to move the needle for them personally for whatever reason.

• Plus1 2

41 minutes ago, funhusker said:

I’m past the high school accusations. His testimony alone and his behavior in that setting should be reason enough to vote “no”.  Our nation has drastically lowered it’s standards and it is uphauling....

Or rather our standards shift depending on whether we're applying them to someone we agree with politically or not...

When we start elevating politics above our actual values as human beings, we start to let what has made America a shining beacon for the rest of the world slip away and lose our collective greatness.

• Plus1 1