[Poll/Discussion] Are you optimistic or pessimistic in regards to the 2017 season?

Optimism or pessimism?  

108 members have voted

You do not have permission to vote in this poll, or see the poll results. Please sign in or register to vote in this poll.

And obviously, we, the uneducated fans, were wrong about how easy it is to win 9 games :lol:

Look, when I say uneducated, I just mean that if any of us were put in charge of coaching a unit or recruiting or dissecting game film or whatever, we would crash and burn immediately. That also goes for most journalists or pre-season prognosticators as well. The only way most of us understand football even a little bit well is as observers, which leads to pretty ignorant ideas, imo.

Need to have "Apathetic" as an option. I'll never be excited with Riley as HC, exactly like when Callahan was here (except Riley is a better person). I believe SE tied his neck to MR with his secret, no other input, and WTF hire. I just hope they are both gone after this year instead of later so I can feel optimism for 2018.

What's with people ok with 5, 6,7,8 wins? Shouldn't 9 wins be our minimum and any less a definite disappointment.

• Fire 1

What's with people ok with 5, 6,7,8 wins? Shouldn't 9 wins be our minimum and any less a definite disappointment.

Nine wins was a standard around here for seven years and it resulted in zero conference championships or BCS berths.

I doubt most people here would be happy or 'OK' with a middling season, but I think it's a fairly realistic estimation that this team will not win double digit games this year based on the talent, depth and position question marks. I don't like it but that's where the team is at, and until they give Huskerboard the right to run the team, we're somewhat out of luck.

9-10 wins with a decent bowl game (Capital One, Outback) would likely be a pretty good season.

8-5 or 7-6 with at least one win over OSU/PSU/Wisc and a win in the bowl game would also be pretty decent.

A 5-6 loss season would be decent? Oh Jesus :facepalm:

For this year's team with these players, these seem like realistic expectations. He isn't saying that this is all the better we can be.

I am still amazed at how many people feel the BP fire was a bad decision. I feel we are a tremendously better program now than during his tenure. If the guy was worth anything, some team, somewhere, in the power 5 would have hired him by now. I want on the field success as much as the next guy but it was plain to see the downward spiral things were taking under Bo. The cupboard was truly left bare when he left. Great recruits didn't want to play here- plain and simple because of Bo. I believe Riley can pull off championships but it isn't going to be this year. Give the guy a little time with his system and recruiting. I believe we will get a glimpse of the future this year but in no way should any of us expect a championship this year. It took Dabo 8 years in a place much easier to recruit to than Nebraska...

• Fire 4

Yeah, poll is missing the "I have absolutely no clue" option.

It's almost like we're starting with a brand new team. New QB with skillset that is completely different than that of Riley's first 2 years. Essentially a new defense -- new DC, new scheme. Deeper offensive line, but no one really knows if it will be a more effective offensive line.

I could see every single outcome as a possibility this season, which tells me I know nothing about who we are until we take the field a couple times.

Ultimately, I'm definitely optimistic, based on better QB and (hopefully) defense. I know the defense will be better coached, that's for sure.

But beliefs really aren't based on anything factual. Just hope.

• Fire 2

I am still amazed at how many people feel the BP fire was a bad decision. I feel we are a tremendously better program now than during his tenure. If the guy was worth anything, some team, somewhere, in the power 5 would have hired him by now. I want on the field success as much as the next guy but it was plain to see the downward spiral things were taking under Bo. The cupboard was truly left bare when he left. Great recruits didn't want to play here- plain and simple because of Bo. I believe Riley can pull off championships but it isn't going to be this year. Give the guy a little time with his system and recruiting. I believe we will get a glimpse of the future this year but in no way should any of us expect a championship this year. It took Dabo 8 years in a place much easier to recruit to than Nebraska...

1. The amount of people who think that is a very, very small minority. Don't confuse people being unsure of the Riley hire with still wanting Bo here. They aren't the same.

2. Dabo won the ACC in year 3, and has won at least 10 games the last 6 years. The fanbase would be elated with a conference championship. MNC's aren't on the table right now.

• Fire 2

I am overly pessimistic. Nothing has happened in the last few years that makes me believe there will be anything to look forward to this year. With a brand new QB and what has been a horrific offensive line, we aren't going to score much. This defense is not going to be 2009 part deux. I fully expect to miss a bowl game this year and say adios to MR and SE.

1. The amount of people who think that is a very, very small minority. Don't confuse people being unsure of the Riley hire with still wanting Bo here. They aren't the same.

2. Dabo won the ACC in year 3, and has won at least 10 games the last 6 years. The fanbase would be elated with a conference championship. MNC's aren't on the table right now.

Dabo technically won it in his 4th year - you have to count the season that he coached over half of as his first season (the year we beat them in the Gator Bowl, coincidentally). Anyways, I'm sure he was feeling the heat after 7-6, 9-5, and 6-7 records his first three seasons.

I bet he was even feeling it after year four - despite winning the ACC, they still had 4 losses, got completely curbstomped by West Virginia (i think they just scored again), and ended the season ranked 22nd. That's a Bo Pelini type of year. Year 5 is when they hit their groove and figured it all out.