On 2/2/2019 at 11:38 AM, Redux said:

Just watched Guardians of the Galaxy for the first time, next up Guardians Vol. 2 and then Avengers Ultron.  Is there a bad movie in this saga? Seriously, every one has been fantastic.

Age of Ultron dips a bit in quality, and your mileage may vary for ones like Ant Man and Doctor Strange, but I'm a shill for the MCU, so I think they're all good. 

2 hours ago, Enhance said:

Relative to their purpose, they're almost all good movies. The first Thor was probably the only one I didn't think was that good.

Sort of an unpopular opinion, but I also think Black Panther gets a bit more hype than it deserves, even though I thought it was good overall.

Black Panther was good, but to say it was Oscar worthy is a bit of a stretch.  I didn't think much of Dr. Strange the first time I watched it, I re watched it on Netflicks and like it more on second viewing.   

Well, the Oscars aren't necessarily designed to be genuine arbiters of cinematic success. Favorites are played, grudges are held, some things are ignored or given too much hype. I don't know what to take from BP being up for an Oscar other than just that.

My issue stems from it just not being that great of a movie. It's entertaining, Michael B. Jordan was a fantastic villain in it, but a lot of other parts to it are just 'meh.' The sheer outpouring of love for it just didn't make sense to me.

I can respect and appreciate some of the messages it sends about race, and I think it's great that it cast a lot of talented black actors, but other parts of the movie were underwhelming and left me wanting.

• 2 weeks later...

On 2/2/2019 at 7:30 AM, Xmas32 said:

Yeah, I pay Redbox reviews almost zero mind.

Ok, my thoughts....it was pretty good.  I'm a pretty big history buff so the premise of the movie to me was great with a somewhat history of the flight program plus some backstory on Armstrong.  I'm gonna eat that stuff up.  Visually, it's a gorgeous movie, the same guy who directed La La Land, also directed this.  My complaint on the movie is I feel it tries to do a little much.  It tries to be a Armstrong biopic, history of the moon landing/space program and a family period piece (the only movie I can think of is Revolutionary Road right now) and it really doesn't succeed in doing any of them.  I give it a 6.5/10, definitely worth a watch if nothing else for the visuals and the score which are goosebump worthy.

I finally got around to watching First Man. I'd say your comments are pretty much right on. I'd give it a little higher rating than you did, maybe 7.5 or 8. My only real complaint is that the pacing was a bit slow at times. I understand that is the way it was intended to be made but it got a little snoozy at times. I will say I liked Apollo 13, The Right Stuff and the HBO series From the Earth to the Moon better. But this one is almost in the same league, just a little more personal to Neil Armstrong.

Also watched I, Tonya tonight. Really liked it. A bit strange that I found much of it funny and sad at the same time. Sort of feel sorry for what Tonya Harding went through, especially with her mother and upbringing. She never really had a chance at being the typical America's sweetheart figure skater. She did better than her upbringing would suggest she was capable of but she likely could've done much more with just a halfway reasonable mother or husband. You'll find it interesting if you experienced it in when it happened. Might not mean much to you if you're too young to remember it.

9 hours ago, JJ Husker said:

I finally got around to watching First Man. I'd say your comments are pretty much right on. I'd give it a little higher rating than you did, maybe 7.5 or 8. My only real complaint is that the pacing was a bit slow at times. I understand that is the way it was intended to be made but it got a little snoozy at times. I will say I liked Apollo 13, The Right Stuff and the HBO series From the Earth to the Moon better. But this one is almost in the same league, just a little more personal to Neil Armstrong.

Also watched I, Tonya tonight. Really liked it. A bit strange that I found much of it funny and sad at the same time. Sort of feel sorry for what Tonya Harding went through, especially with her mother and upbringing. She never really had a chance at being the typical America's sweetheart figure skater. She did better than her upbringing would suggest she was capable of but she likely could've done much more with just a halfway reasonable mother or husband. You'll find it interesting if you experienced it in when it happened. Might not mean much to you if you're too young to remember it.

I really liked I, Tonya. Very entertaining movie. I might watch it again soon.

OTOH I got kind of bored watching Alita. I don’t really like action for the sake of action, no matter how neat it looks. There was also some really corny romantic stuff.

10 hours ago, JJ Husker said:

I enjoyed I, Tonya as well.  I remember the original incident quite well and how it was absolute insanity.  I'm in the same boat as you as ultimately I find Harding to be a sympathetic figure while not condoning her actions.  It's a little tough to focus on Harding thorough the movie because Allison Janney just crushes the role as Tonya's mother.  

On 2/17/2019 at 10:28 AM, BigRedBuster said:

Bohemian rhapsody is as good as advertised. 

The Last Laugh was a very good movie. Now that I’m getting into my mid fifties, movies like this mean more. 

Watch the Last Laugh last night on your recommendation.  It was pretty good.  I am 53 so I can relate.   I thought Andie McDowell was a little young to be playing that part, but I get what they were going for, good looking older hippyish woman.  

I haven't seen Bohemian Rhapsody yet, I can't get anyone in my family interested in going to see it.  I will have to wait until it is at redbox.  

46 minutes ago, NUinID said:

Watch the Last Laugh last night on your recommendation.  It was pretty good.  I am 53 so I can relate.   I thought Andie McDowell was a little young to be playing that part, but I get what they were going for, good looking older hippyish woman.  

I haven't seen Bohemian Rhapsody yet, I can't get anyone in my family interested in going to see it.  I will have to wait until it is at redbox.  

BH is a movie that you could watch and say, this is dumb.  But, the fact it's a true story (along with great music) makes it a very good movie.

I'm 52 with aging parents.  So, I could relate to both the old guys AND their kids.  

4 minutes ago, BigRedBuster said:

BH is a movie that you could watch and say, this is dumb.  But, the fact it's a true story (along with great music) makes it a very good movie.

I'm 52 with aging parents.  So, I could relate to both the old guys AND their kids.  

My mother is going to be 89 in May and lives in a place like they were at, so I understand.  Most the people that live in assisted living places aren't nearly as spry as Chase and Dreyfus are.