Who should we hire

Maybe it's just me, but coordinators seem a lot like QBs.  They get too much credit when things are going good, and they get way too much blame when things go bad.  Take Brent Venables for example.  He was pretty much ran out of Norman.  Sooner faithful had their gut full of him which is why Bob brought little brother Mike back.  He goes to Clemson where he wins the Broyles award.  Greg Davis also comes to mind.  Texas ran him out of town, and he was also a Broyles award winner.  We have a Broyles award winner for a DC.  Thus far, it really hasn't felt like an upgrade to Banker. 

• Plus1 2

^Last two posts by @StPaulHusker and @junior4949 are really well stated.

I'm just reading this thread now and have to go back to the first page, since I think it sums this up:

The appropriate time is when you know it won't get better, and I'm sorry but we won't get better with this staff. They are what they are. 

I didn't think [Bo Pelini, by year 7] hit his ceiling, and I haven't been proven wrong.

Good goodness, man :D 

1 hour ago, StPaulHusker said:

Here is what I have to say about Mike Riley and "who we should hire"

He is doing everything he can to win.  Maybe it will work.  Maybe it won't.  But I know the 3 coaches before him didn't.  Whether it be from lazy recruiting, embracing the Nebraska culture, or coaches or whatever.  So I m going to stand behind him for a few more years.

So if he's doing everything he can to win but is only having the same or less success than those other lazy/whatever-label-you-want-to-throw-out-there coaches, what does that say about his ability?

• Plus1 1
5 minutes ago, Mavric said:

So if he's doing everything he can to win but is only having the same or less success than those other lazy/whatever-label-you-want-to-throw-out-there coaches, what does that say about his ability?

Because we are hoping that him trying to do everything he can to win ends up translating into.....wait for it........wins!

• Plus1 1

21 minutes ago, Husker from Kansas said:

The coaches before him got more than 3 years, how often does a new coach get just 3 years?

Yes, those coaches got more than 3 years, but all 3 of them won a division or conference title in their first 3 years.

Also, coaches who are going to be big winners at a school, tend to have at least one or two great seasons in their first 2 or 3 years.

• Plus1 2
On 9/9/2017 at 7:31 PM, grandpasknee said:

I remember when Joe Cipriano was having a hard go  the basketball team...the chant in the stands was 'Fire Joe, Dig up Moe'...referring to Moe Iba of course.  So your suggestion has some merit.

But Moe wasn't dead. He was sitting next to Cipriano as the assistant head coach. That must have been awkward. 

Turns out Moe didn't exactly lead them to the promised land, either. 

2 minutes ago, ColoradoHusk said:

Yes, those coaches got more than 3 years, but all 3 of them won a division or conference title in their first 3 years.

Also, coaches who are going to be big winners at a school, tend to have at least one or two great seasons in their first 2 or 3 years.

31 minutes ago, Mavric said:

I think it's going to take me more than 2 seasons and 2 games to determine his ability.  

I know he was able to take one of the worst programs in P5 history and get 9 wins a few times.  How many other coaches in the game today can say that?  

1 minute ago, StPaulHusker said:

What is considered a big winner and great season?

I consider someone a big winner at a school is someone who stays at that school for a number of years and has great success (conference/national championships).

Looking back at the last 20-25 years guys that I consider the most successful coaches all did very well within their first 3 years:

Bob Stoops:  National Championship in 2nd year

Urban Meyer:  National Championship in 2nd year at Florida, 3rd year at Ohio State

Mack Brown:  Division title in 2nd year at Texas, Conference title in 4th year at Texas

Nick Saban:  Conference title in 2nd year at LSU, National Championship in 4th year at LSU

Dabo Swinney:  Conference title in 3rd full year at Clemson

Jimbo Fisher:  Conference title in 3rd year (division title his 1st year) at Florida State

Jim Tressel: National championship in 2nd year at Ohio State

Now, the above list only shows national championship coaches, but it shows how they changed things pretty quickly.

• Plus1 3

1 minute ago, ColoradoHusk said:

I consider someone a big winner at a school is someone who stays at that school for a number of years and has great success (conference/national championships).

Looking back at the last 20-25 years guys that I consider the most successful coaches all did very well within their first 3 years:

Bob Stoops:  National Championship in 2nd year

Urban Meyer:  National Championship in 2nd year at Florida, 3rd year at Ohio State

Mack Brown:  Division title in 2nd year at Texas, Conference title in 4th year at Texas

Nick Saban:  Conference title in 2nd year at LSU, National Championship in 4th year at LSU

Dabo Swinney:  Conference title in 3rd full year at Clemson

Jimbo Fisher:  Conference title in 3rd year (division title his 1st year) at Florida State

Jim Tressel: National championship in 2nd year at Ohio State

Now, the above list only shows national championship coaches, but it shows how they changed things pretty quickly.

This makes me sad for Nebraska

17 minutes ago, StPaulHusker said:

I think it's going to take me more than 2 seasons and 2 games to determine his ability.  

I know he was able to take one of the worst programs in P5 history and get 9 wins a few times.  How many other coaches in the game today can say that?  

Now, Riley could change my opinion on him if NU is able to win the Big Ten West, but the team has to improve greatly to do so.

I give Riley credit for building Oregon State into a good program, but do we want "good at NU"?  I don't, I want great.

1 minute ago, ColoradoHusk said:

Now, Riley could change my opinion on him if NU is able to win the Big Ten West, but the team has to improve greatly to do so.

I give Riley credit for building Oregon State into a good program, but do we want "good at NU"?  I don't, I want great.

James Franklin lost to Pitt last year and got his doors blown off by Michigan.  Things can happen

• Plus1 1