Who should we hire

Bo did not hit his ceiling here and he didn't his his floor.

Yes, Frost would call TO and probably about 5 other people if he was offered the Husker job to get a feel for things and to get some advice/thoughts.  That is normal.  We are talking about a HC gig at a big time school...not a part-time job after school.  sh#t, you should see the amount of phone calls made back and forth for guys interested in HC jobs at the high school level.

3 minutes ago, 1995 Redux said:

I stand by my prediction from after last season.  If this season tanks, or next season isn't any better, they let Mike "retire" and bring in Scott Frost.  I truly feel this was the plan all along, just a weird hunch.  Let Scott get 2-3 years as a head coach at a small school, then bring him in here.  Would be a fairly painless transition I think.

Do we even have a QB on the roster capable of running the no-huddle spread? 

2 hours ago, ColoradoHusk said:

I think Gebbia would do ok, and a new coach would be able to bring in another QB to compete.  However, if Riley doesn't last beyond this year or next, I would expect Gebbia to transfer.

Idk, I think he is sitting in a pretty good spot right now.  Depends who the new coach would be I think.

3 minutes ago, 1995 Redux said:

Idk, I think he is sittinf in a pretty good spot right now.  Depemds who the new coach would be i think.

I really like Gebbia.  I think he is the most talented of the three scholarship QB's on the roster.  I just think he would be tempted to go back to a school closer to home in California, since most of these guys came to play under Riley and his system.

2 hours ago, 1995 Redux said:

I stand by my prediction from after last season.  If this season tanks, or next season isn't any better, they let Mike "retire" and bring in Scott Frost.  I truly feel this was the plan all along, just a weird hunch.  Let Scott get 2-3 years as a head coach at a small school, then bring him in here.  Would be a fairly painless transition I think.

I'd like to believe in that too, as I'm a pretty simple thinker.  My only question is. "What if Scott F just stinks up the joint for 3 years straight down in Florida?  I'd probably be OK with still bringing him here, but man folks would melt down.  He'd have mostly good vides for two games...if those two games went south, then of course "what the heck were they thinking bringing that guy with a losing record here to coach!"

Posting this makes me glad I'm an ignorant fan and not any where near involved in decision making at DONU.

Here is what I have to say about Mike Riley and "who we should hire"

He is doing everything he can to win.  Maybe it will work.  Maybe it won't.  But I know the 3 coaches before him didn't.  Whether it be from lazy recruiting, embracing the Nebraska culture, or coaches or whatever.  So I m going to stand behind him for a few more years.

• Plus1 7
5 minutes ago, StPaulHusker said:

He is doing everything he can to win.  Maybe it will work.  Maybe it won't.  But I know the 3 coaches before him didn't.  Whether it be from lazy recruiting, embracing the Nebraska culture, or coaches or whatever.  So I m going to stand behind him for a few more years.

Yeah, this^ is why I'm behind the current staff.

6 minutes ago, StPaulHusker said:

Well said.

13 minutes ago, grandpasknee said:

I'd like to believe in that too, as I'm a pretty simple thinker.  My only question is. "What if Scott F just stinks up the joint for 3 years straight down in Florida?  I'd probably be OK with still bringing him here, but man folks would melt down.  He'd have mostly good vides for two games...if those two games went south, then of course "what the heck were they thinking bringing that guy with a losing record here to coach!"

Posting this makes me glad I'm an ignorant fan and not any where near involved in decision making at DONU.

Frost has all the intangibles to be the right guy for the job

1. Born in Nebraska (I think this is a big deal to a lot of people)
  2. Won a National Title at Nebraska 
  3. He already took an 0-12 team to 6-7 in his first year as a HC
  4. Young coach looking for a big time program that he can cement his feet into 
  5. Coached by Bill Walsh, Tom Osborne, Bill Parcels, Jon Gruden, and Bill Belichick
8 minutes ago, BIG ERN said:

Frost has all the intangibles to be the right guy for the job

1. Born in Nebraska (I think this is a big deal to a lot of people)
  2. Won a National Title at Nebraska 
  3. He already took an 0-12 team to 6-7 in his first year as a HC
  4. Young coach looking for a big time program that he can cement his feet into 
  5. Coached by Bill Walsh, Tom Osborne, Bill Parcels, Jon Gruden, and Bill Belichick

Those aren't really intangibles though.   They are reasons why people would except him as a HC at Nebraska.

The intangibles are what has allowed him to take an 0-12 team and turn them into a 6-7 team in a year.   I am willing to give it a wait and see approach and see whether he can continue to build off the previous year's work.  If he can do that, he very well could have all the right intangibles to be an excellent HC at a place like Nebraska.

• Plus1 1
29 minutes ago, StPaulHusker said:

I agree with this as well, but how many people do you have to fire or they leave before it's on you? We have 4 new staff members within 2 seasons already. Possibly could be 5 since coach Cav is on a tight leash this year. Just cannot believe it takes someone over 20 years to realize you have two boneheads on your staff 

Defensive Coordinator: Mark Banker
Secondary Coach: Brian Stewart 

Defensive Line Coach: Hank Hughes 

Special Teams: Bruce Read

• Plus1 1
1 minute ago, BIG ERN said:

I agree with this as well, but how many people do you have to fire or they leave before it's on you? We have 4 new staff members within 2 seasons already. Possibly could be 5 since coach Cav is on a tight leash this year. Just cannot believe it takes someone over 20 years to realize you have two boneheads on your staff 

Defensive Coordinator: Mark Banker
Secondary Coach: Brian Stewart 

Defensive Line Coach: Hank Hughes 

Special Teams: Bruce Read

I don't think it was out of line for Mike Riley to think Mark Banker could call defense better if he had better athletes.  Which Nebraska had versus Oregon St.  Plus, you're going into a new place-it doesn't hurt to have someone you've known for several years to help you implement what you want to do.

Brian Stewart left to be DC at Rice.  Maybe there were some rumblings that he could be on his way out, but he wasn't fired.

Hank Hughes was a backup plan that didn't work out.  Parrella was just becoming a college coach when Riley got hired.  Nothing wrong with letting him work a bit longer before bringing him in

I have no explanation for Read as coach.  But my understanding was that he did work behind the scenes for Riley with regards to recruiting, etc that people didn't really notice.  I don't know if it's true, but that is what I have heard.

but he is doing what the last 2 coaches would do when an assistant under-performed.  And Solich only did it when pressured to do so.

• Plus1 3