'Mansplaining'

3 minutes ago, zoogs said:

I hope there comes a day where you can look back at all this, shake your head, and wonder "What on earth was I saying?" 

You're a reasonable guy, and I've faith it will happen :)

I'm not to stubborn to insist that it won't happen, but..... we'll see I suppose.

Admittedly, (as you can probably tell:)) I'm not much of a sympathizer. And that's not exclusive to this topic. I realize that systemic injustices exist. I know, especially historically, they've had anything but a fair shake. I just believe (truly believe) that in today's world, there is enough they can do within their own power to get out of a circumstance that they don't want to be in. 

35 minutes ago, B.B. Hemingway said:

It doesn't do any good. That's my point. It hurts them more than anything. They've long settled into that victim mentality, and that's in large part (again, in my opinion) because they aren't held accountable. They get that pass. 

I still don't know what you're talking about with being held accountable. How should they be held accountable? Because last I checked, their unequal prison sentences and unequal likelihood of being arrested and unequal opportunities for career/education advancement and unequal representation on juries and unequal suffering at the hands of voter suppression tactics, so on and so forth, hold them extra accountable. Disproportionately accountable, in fact.

• Plus1 3
1 minute ago, Landlord said:

I still don't know what you're talking about with being held accountable. How should they be held accountable? Because last I checked, their unequal prison sentences and unequal likelihood of being arrested and unequal opportunities for career/education advancement and unequal representation on juries and unequal suffering at the hands of voter suppression tactics, so on and so forth, hold them extra accountable. Disproportionately accountable, in fact.

By accountable, I mean in the public eye (perception). Like I referenced earlier (and you agreed? maybe?) they get a pass. They don't seem to be held to the same standard of personal responsibility as the rest of us. Because they're often seen as only vicitms (which is detrimental imo).

Listen, I've acknowledged systemic injustice. It's real. I know....  As far as unequal representation in careers, and juries; they are 13% of the population compared to 64% white, so is it expected to be equal? Maybe it is. Hell, I don't know. If representation should reflect your demographics shouldn't white representation be higher?

I meant proportionately equal in regards to those things. Not 50/50 quantity equal.

It just seems really weird to me that you seem to think public perception is way more of a big deal to focus on and thus withhold sympathy for people because of when compared to actual, tangible ways that their lives are not considered equal and they are denied justice and equality and representation. You keep saying that you've acknowledged that it's real, but you don't actually seem to care about "it", while you do seem to care about them getting the benefit of the doubt by celebrity hot takes on twitter. What gives?

5 minutes ago, B.B. Hemingway said:

I just believe (truly believe) that in today's world, there is enough they can do within their own power to get out of a circumstance that they don't want to be in. 

Imagine you're a good, hard working 24 year old single mother with four kids. The kind of person who is giving up her entire life of freedom and fun to provide.

You don't have much money and you're living in public housing. All your energy is just going towards making your kids stay okay and safe (thankfully, the government is helping you out). 

Suddenly one day the police show up and arrest you because you've been accused by an (later found to be unreliable) informant of a drug crime. Taken to jail, can't afford an attorney, can't afford a ridiculous bail, your state appointed attorney is completely overloaded with no ability to help you out in a way that you deserve and need, and says that you should plead out for the small, incredibly unlikely chance that you might be able to see your kids again, because otherwise you in prison is a certainty and it could be for up to 99 years. 

After weeks stuck in a jail cell you decide you'd rather be a felon and get back to your kids than maintain your innocence and never see them again. Now you are a felon. You aren't eligible for government help, no food stamps, can't vote, can't live in public housing. Now you're homeless and without food or an easy means to employment. Your kids grow up in various foster homes and on the streets, and they're fine people but they make one mistake with the wrong people and then they end up in prison. On and on and on it goes. 

This is all a specifically true story of Erma Faye Stewart in Hearne, Texas, but it's also a commonly shared experience among poor black communities, where the biggest contributing factors are being black and being poor (not, as you want to argue, being lazy or making the wrong choices, because that is something that all Americans, even rich/white ones, are guilty of at least sometimes). 

It's like someone born to Olympians who was raised in the gym with the best trainers and nutritionists blaming someone else with no access to facilities or information, who also started the race 4 laps behind, for not catching up and tying.

1 hour ago, B.B. Hemingway said:

By accountable, I mean in the public eye (perception). Like I referenced earlier (and you agreed? maybe?) they get a pass. They don't seem to be held to the same standard of personal responsibility as the rest of us. Because they're often seen as only vicitms (which is detrimental imo).

Listen, I've acknowledged systemic injustice. It's real. I know....  As far as unequal representation in careers, and juries; they are 13% of the population compared to 64% white, so is it expected to be equal? Maybe it is. Hell, I don't know. If representation should reflect your demographics shouldn't white representation be higher?

Can you give examples of how Blacks are "given a pass"? It just doesn't match any kind of reality I know. Even if you don't mean anything related to what Landlord is saying, it seems to me that Blacks are more harshly judged by the public. Black kids are more likely to be treated as adults (I read a study on this). I also don't understand why you think that's a big deal as compared to all of the ways they are held to a higher standard. Who cares what random people think when Blacks are actually less likely to be employed when they have equal qualifications, more likely to get expelled from school for the same behavior as Whites, more likely to get the death sentence for the same crime? Who cares what this so-called perception is, which I don't even think is accurate. They are held more accountable in the public eye.

And Landlord was likely talking about proportionate representation, not equal numbers. If there's a jury in a neighborhood with 13% Blacks, the jury should have 1 or 2 Black people on it. If it's in a neighborhood with 50% Blacks, it should have 6. Instead, they are underrepresented.

3 hours ago, B.B. Hemingway said:

look up the statistics of black men leaving the mother's of their children with the incredible burden of raising children on their own, in a lot of instances, in poverty. It happens at an incredible rate.

I wonder if it could be related to... the below. The difference in drug use by Whites and Blacks is not statistically significant - except when it comes to prescription drug abuse - White people do that more. Yet Blacks are arrested for all of it far more often, particularly Black men.

War-on-Drugs-and-Marriage.jpg

All_Race_600.gif

drug-abuse-by-ethnicity.png

drug_use_by_race.png

drug-arrest-rate-for-blacks-and-whites.j

1 hour ago, B.B. Hemingway said:

Do you believe 250 years of slavery and almost 400 years of (still occurring) racism affords no leniency or might explain why a group of people may be given some extended benefits in certain areas? That those are issues they're now 100% culpable for dealing with on their own?

I'm all for making the best of a situation and holding yourself, and community, accountable. But this feels different. This feels like history and current, every day examples of racism mean little to nothing, despite your apparent believe in systemic injustice.

• Plus1 2
35 minutes ago, zoogs said:

Intersectionality and why it matters. Top comment:

"Hey, Cam, remember how you feel when people ask if a black QB can learn the intricacies of an NFL offense?"

Amazing how fast things stop applying when they don't affect you. 

I met Jourdan at B1G Media Days last year! She sat by me all year - sharp, intelligent, funny woman. She's great at her job.

I bet she's run as many routes as 99% of the other reporters in the room.

• Plus1 1

I think the only reason it would be hard for females to be football coaches is because the players wouldn't respect them.

And I don't meant that like I'm saying they'd be sexist (although some would). What I mean is they know 99.9% of women have never played football. I don't even think it would be an invalid opinion. I see why they would want a coach who has been through everything they've gone through.

That said I feel like football is missing out when it doesn't get any tactical/strategical ideas from the other half of the population. There could be women out there who are as good of play caller as anyone in the NFL but we'll never know it.

• Plus1 1

2 hours ago, Landlord said:

I met Jourdan at B1G Media Days last year! She sat by me all year - sharp, intelligent, funny woman. She's great at her job.

I bet she's run as many routes as 99% of the other reporters in the room.

His statement is ridiculous and so is your %.  Both should be put on blast.

2 hours ago, Moiraine said:

I think the only reason it would be hard for females to be football coaches is because the players wouldn't respect them.

And I don't meant that like I'm saying they'd be sexist (although some would). What I mean is they know 99.9% of women have never played football. I don't even think it would be an invalid opinion. I see why they would want a coach who has been through everything they've gone through.

That said I feel like football is missing out when it doesn't get any tactical/strategical ideas from the other half of the population. There could be women out there who are as good of play caller as anyone in the NFL but we'll never know it.

I thought Goldie Hawn was a great coach for the Central High Wildcats.  I was surprised when I didn't see her get past the high school ranks of inner-city Chicago.  That was a documentary, right?

Yeah, another side to this is most of her colleagues haven't really played football either. 

I think things like this are really important to vocalize. Not to condemn Cam per se, but to establish our norms and mores. You can look around other corners and see the ugly, self-reinforcing blowback that comes at people who tweet in support of this journalist. There's a real cost to letting comments like this slide. People will not wake up to the fact that it's not OK. And then the other side becomes the norm.

• Plus1 1