Shawn Eichorst speaks to the Media

ScawFraw

5 minutes ago, Jeremy said:

And the whole "It is what is" crap. It doesn't have to be this way, and we DON'T have to suck.

exactly. the lack of leadership shown by the Athletic Director is quite frankly pathetic. I never in a million years thought I would find myself siding with Bo Pelini, but here we are. 

Sean Eichorst is a JV Athletic Director. I'd say it to his face if I ever got the chance. The guy is a complete and total loser. Has no idea what it takes to lead and successfully run a high level college football program. His hire was questionable when it happened and it remains questionable to this day (sound familiar?)

But at least we have a head coach now that will answer questions nicely and make Sam McKewon laugh at press conferences. 

• Plus1 3
4 hours ago, BoneyardHusker said:

Dude gives Riley an extension and Tim Miles an extension coming off a terrible basketball season.

He had no track record prior to Nebraska, and has failed miserably while in Lincoln.

Oh he scored us an awesome Adidas deal, which I am stoked about because I just love wearing awkward fitting material with shiny glittery outlines.

Get rid of Eichorst, bring in Moglia as AD and get a head football coach.

That's what athletic directors do. If he doesn't give them contract extensions, the same as every school gives every coach regardless of how they're doing, other schools use that effectively as recruiting leverage against us. That is no knock on Eichorst whatsoever.

Frankly, all the s#!t being said about Eichorst is a bit disgusting to me. People act like athletic success isn't in large part due to a lucky roll of the dice. Mike Riley is obviously not panning out in year 3, and that is understandably frustrating, but the hire was near universally praised by people within college football who know they're s#!t. Guess what? Head coaching hires are huge gambles! Every coaching hire is a gamble minus Nick Saban and Urban Meyer - everyone else, you're just hoping that it works out. Eichorst inherited Tim Miles and Darin Erstad, and personally I think it's the right move and admirable to let both of them max out on possible opportunities before needing to fire them. 

Nobody here has any clue what actually goes on behind the scenes in athletic departments across the country. The only single stain on Eichorst's resume is that his football coach hasn't worked out. That doesn't necessarily mean it was a bad decision, it doesn't necessarily mean it was a misguided idea, and it doesn't necessarily mean that it was a bad gamble. It could mean all of those things, but the only thing it means for sure to those of us who don't have any actual knowledge of these sorts of things is that it was a gamble that hasn't paid off. 

It happens. Get the hell over it - or don't, but at least don't call strangers with very difficult jobs cowards/snakes/a$$hole$/pussies/duplicitous/whatever.

6 hours ago, CheeseHusker said:

I'm not bothered by that as much as the fact that there's plenty of first and second year coaches in recent years running circles around our program.

Brady Hoke went 11-2 and won a Sugar Bowl in his first year.

Kevin Sumlin went 11-2 and won the Cotton Bowl, being finished ranked #5 in his first year.

Will Muschamp went 11-2 and had a top ten season in his second year.

You wanna hire any of them?

• Plus1 4
10 hours ago, Landlord said:

That's what athletic directors do. If he doesn't give them contract extensions, the same as every school gives every coach regardless of how they're doing, other schools use that effectively as recruiting leverage against us. That is no knock on Eichorst whatsoever.

Frankly, all the s#!t being said about Eichorst is a bit disgusting to me. People act like athletic success isn't in large part due to a lucky roll of the dice. Mike Riley is obviously not panning out in year 3, and that is understandably frustrating, but the hire was near universally praised by people within college football who know they're s#!t. Guess what? Head coaching hires are huge gambles! Every coaching hire is a gamble minus Nick Saban and Urban Meyer - everyone else, you're just hoping that it works out. Eichorst inherited Tim Miles and Darin Erstad, and personally I think it's the right move and admirable to let both of them max out on possible opportunities before needing to fire them. 

Nobody here has any clue what actually goes on behind the scenes in athletic departments across the country. The only single stain on Eichorst's resume is that his football coach hasn't worked out. That doesn't necessarily mean it was a bad decision, it doesn't necessarily mean it was a misguided idea, and it doesn't necessarily mean that it was a bad gamble. It could mean all of those things, but the only thing it means for sure to those of us who don't have any actual knowledge of these sorts of things is that it was a gamble that hasn't paid off. 

It happens. Get the hell over it - or don't, but at least don't call strangers with very difficult jobs cowards/snakes/a$$hole$/pussies/duplicitous/whatever.

Brady Hoke went 11-2 and won a Sugar Bowl in his first year.

Kevin Sumlin went 11-2 and won the Cotton Bowl, being finished ranked #5 in his first year.

Will Muschamp went 11-2 and had a top ten season in his second year.

You wanna hire any of them?

Actually Muschamp or Sumlin wouldn't be too bad. Muschamp is doing a decent job at South Carolina right now and Sumlin would probably have Texas AM doing well if it weren't for the SEC West. Brady Hoke? No thank you.

As far as all the insiders of College Football telling us Mike Riley was a good hire, well, remember just a few months ago all the NFL scouts were praising Tanner Lee? Sometimes these networks opinions don't work out on the field. Sometimes college quarterbacks do better in the pros then they do in college. Sometimes great college QBs fail in the NFL. I think Riley gets his praises because he is such a genuine nice and respectable guy. Look, I like to know Mike Riley the person is going to kids family rooms and representing the university of Nebraska. Personality wise the guy is a perfect fit for Nebraska. The problem is, he just isn't a great coach to win winning results.

• Plus1 2

However, the 21-17 loss to Northern Illinois was dire enough that Nebraska athletic director Shawn Eichorst showed up in the postgame media area to answer questions. I've covered the Huskers since 1995 and can't remember an AD ever doing that. It felt like a man fighting for his job.

Think back to when Eichorst took over at Nebraska and said, "My hope is that after five years no one will know what I look like." Well, you know what they say about desperate times. …

Everyone's keeping a close eye on Eichorst nowadays, wondering if he'll be around until the end of the season. Same goes for Riley.

This all came on suddenly. But it feels ominous.

LJS

• Plus1 1

I agree with Eichorst. Hang in there, guys. The seat is officially aflame. If Riley's lucky they'll recover enough to earn a 4th season. But it would be extraordinary if that weren't the last -- the way it was for Muschamp, Hoke, etc. At this point, the AD should be quietly planning ahead. If we're lucky, we'll be in a place where the previous staff does the right things off the field and recruits well, leaving a healthy stable for the right new staff to come in and produce with. As a fanbase? We'll just have to gut it out.

50 minutes ago, zoogs said:

I agree with Eichorst. Hang in there, guys. The seat is officially aflame. If Riley's lucky they'll recover enough to earn a 4th season. But it would be extraordinary if that weren't the last -- the way it was for Muschamp, Hoke, etc. At this point, the AD should be quietly planning ahead. If we're lucky, we'll be in a place where the previous staff does the right things off the field and recruits well, leaving a healthy stable for the right new staff to come in and produce with. As a fanbase? We'll just have to gut it out.

Well said. That's all we can do.

Regardless of what people think of Eichorst and the ridiculous names people like to call him, I know he's not an idiot. He knows the football program is the lifeblood of the athletic department and his number one priority. Naturally, however, his decisions surrounding this obligation have been highly questionable.

My one hope is the fan base can keep toughing it out. We're a good group and we've shown it time and again. However, there's only so much people can take, and even I have hit a point where partitioning time to watch the product feels more cumbersome than enjoyable.

• Plus1 1

I forget where I read it or who said it (might've been on here or from some OSU fans) but I remember people saying Riley has always been known to drop some games he has no business losing and winning some he has no business winning. like in year 1 with the Michigan State win, for example. 

as frustrating as these first three games have been, if they can get some things straightened out and we can beat Wisconsin at home, Ohio State at home, or pull of a win at Penn State on the road, it would be huge for the program. And I absolutely think we have a shot, especially because we will be underestimated going into a lot of them. 

I'm still excited to see how things progress. We don't have anything to lose at this point. Who knows what could happen if we get on a roll at the right time? USC was 1-3 last year at the beginning of the season. Obviously we are nowhere near as talented as they are and the situations are a little different, but people were calling for Helton's head at that point and they turned it around. Anything can happen. Just gotta keep the faith.

• Plus1 1