Coordinator Hate

I personally was a big fan of Shawn Watson for the most part. His 2008 offense was fantastic, '09 I think was at least decently out of control and our 2010 offense was the most electric I've ever seen until Taylor got hurt. 

I liked Beck in '11-'12 too. 

I would add Carl Pelini to the list if he wasn't so scummy.

• Plus1 1
8 hours ago, brophog said:

Other than forgetting how to call an offense, he seemed fine. Sorry if I scared you.

Kill called a good game—his kids didn’t execute (see the high number of dropped passes) and our defense really did a good job stopping the run.

Rutgers has been in the cellar for a while now for good reason...

As for coordinators, I think folks would have liked Beck if he would have stoped overthinking things and looking at the new vs. what worked. A big case-in-point for this is when Beck started the season with the diamond formation (3 RBs in backfield with QB) which was rather successful. Then we stopped seeing it completely, save for maybe one play in 100 or 150. 

Nebraska fans care more than most and pay attention more than most fans...which is a double-edged sword. It produces things like the sellout streak, but it also makes it difficult for coordinators to mask their inadequate behavior before they can learn from it.

Assuming they do learn from their mistakes **cough**Dorf**cough**...

I think with a lot of offensive coordinators out there, they like to show how well they can design and draw up plays, and they like to try and use those "cool plays". But, they don't think about all the factors it will take into being successful on that play.

For example, on NU's 3rd and 6 from around the Rutgers 40 with about 1:00 left in the first half, Langsdorf called a pretty cool play, with a receiver streaking down the sidelines, and Lee making a good pass. It was a "good play" until the walk-on WR (Conor Young maybe) dropped the pass.  It was a higher risk play. Failed 3rd down, and NU doesn't get any points before halftime. In that situation the better play would have been 3 or 4 receivers all running 8-yard hook routes, with Lee making an easy pass to the open guy and NU getting the first down.  NU had all 3 timeouts left, so the clock wouldn't be an issue (if you can forget about the Mike Riley school of clock management). 

• Plus1 1

19 minutes ago, VectorVictor said:

As for coordinators, I think folks would have liked Beck if he would have stoped overthinking things and looking at the new vs. what worked. A big case-in-point for this is when Beck started the season with the diamond formation (3 RBs in backfield with QB) which was rather successful. Then we stopped seeing it completely, save for maybe one play in 100 or 150. 

Nebraska fans care more than most and pay attention more than most fans...which is a double-edged sword. It produces things like the sellout streak, but it also makes it difficult for coordinators to mask their inadequate behavior before they can learn from it.

Assuming they do learn from their mistakes **cough**Dorf**cough**...

Beck was paranoid.

Anybody want to explain to me why we come out with (I don't remember specifically) either 3 tightends or 22 personnel inside the red zone on first down, motion the single split receiver into the formation, and try to run a dive play against 11 in the box? What the hell were we trying to accomplish with that? Waste a down? We ended up kicking a field goal there.