Lee B. on Wisconsin

5 hours ago, Hayseed said:

Many of the people on the board have never seen those Huskers.

My biggest complaint with what Oregon was doing with their razzle dazzle offense was first time they came against a team that could physically match them man for man, they fell apart. Not to mention the difficulty of recruiting players who can run like that the entire game. Sometimes coaches need to get out of their head and put the controller down;.... we’re talking about real people here, not Gameboy.

That razzle dazzle offense produced success Oregon had never seen before.  I'd take Oregon's success over the past decade over ours.  

1 hour ago, southernoregonhusker said:

That razzle dazzle offense produced success Oregon had never seen before.  I'd take Oregon's success over the past decade over ours.  

I did it with Wisconsin, so I'll do it again with Oregon. (Note that with Wisconsin I just went eight years back as opposed to 10 years here).

In the last 10 seasons, Oregon has won 10 games or more games seven times, and won fewer than nine games just once. The Ducks have won four conference titles and played in two national title games. Oregon has finished in the top 10 six times in the last decade and finished the season ranked in nine of 10 years. To be fair, Oregon did go 4-8 last year. They look to be significantly better this year (although their starting QB is currently injured). https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_Oregon_Ducks_football_seasons

I would clearly take Oregon's last decade over Nebraska's last decade. Also, I would take the last decade of Oregon football over any decade of Nebraska football except the 70s, 80s or 90s. I'm obviously not trading those three decades.

On 10/3/2017 at 11:49 AM, BigAppleBucky said:

Take, for example, Jonathan Taylor, Wisconsin's true freshman running back.  He was rated a three star.  Yet he supassed Cory Clement's New Jersey rushing records and also was the fastest New Jersey sprinter last year.  Had he been recruited by Michigan, he probably would be a four or five star.  Ran an electronic-timed 10.49 100m dash at 214 pounds. (Michigan's Peppers ran it in 10.53)

It honestly doesn't work that way; the recruiting 'star' rankings generally aren't altered based on who's recruiting a kid.

Bottom line for me - Wisconsin has better coaches who teach better fundamentals and discipline on the field than we do. There's just no doubt about it. What Wisconsin has done the past decade is very impressive. 

Our fan base would trade places in a heartbeat, no matter what any homer around here says.

11 minutes ago, Undone said:

It honestly doesn't work that way; the recruiting 'star' rankings generally aren't altered based on who's recruiting a kid.

Bottom line for me - Wisconsin has better coaches who teach better fundamentals and discipline on the field than we do. There's just no doubt about it. What Wisconsin has done the past decade is very impressive. 

Our fan base would trade places in a heartbeat, no matter what any homer around here says.

There was an article I believe over at OWH that basically said, Wisconsin has been successful because of sound, fundamental defense. Which is true. They have fielded a top 15 defense nearly almost every year they've won a conference championship. Now, this year they're laying down stats those teams haven't achieved. I don't think our fan base respects Wisconsin at all.

We have not seen a consistent fundamental defense since probably 09-10. The move from Big 12 to Big 10 hurt us recruiting wise, personnel wise. However, I DO think we have some coaches on the defensive side of the ball who have found a way to adapt to our players' abilities but we have yet to prove that against an offense with a pulse. These next 2 games may define the Riley era after all.

• Plus1 1
6 minutes ago, FTW said:

However, I DO think we have some coaches on the defensive side of the ball who have found a way to adapt to our players' abilities but we have yet to prove that against an offense with a pulse. These next 2 games may define the Riley era after all.

Agreed. Diaco's scheme did lay an egg against Oregon but honestly, that was game two for him and his new scheme and at this point I really don't care that we lost that game.

I do care about the game this Saturday night. If we win this one, it's a huge moment for Riley and his staff and this season has a pulse again. If we get blown out, the writing is probably on the wall.

But yes, I'm glad Riley made the switch from Banker to Diaco and I really like Parella's coaching as well. We just need better scheme and play from our corners right now.

What Wisconsin has been able to do is maintain that ever since Alvarez was coach.  Now...before you say.....well no s#!t.......

It's not that simple.  It's more than just hiring the right head coach.  Right now, Wisconsin has upperclassmen as players that are totally bought into how they play and how they have played long before they got there.  You have offensive linemen who are around young players from the moment they get to campus instilling what is expected.  They have D linemen and linebackers that do the same thing.  They have RBs who instill in younger players what it means to be an RB at Wisconsin and that has been passed down from class to class.

Yes, the coaches are important.  To date, they haven't had a coaching staff come in and screw that up....so it has been able to be maintained.  That is actually very very hard to do considering how many coaching changes they have gone through recently.

I've said it again, but Oregon is another example of that.  BUT....they finally had a bad coaching hire and had to make a change because of that.  Last year and this year, they have not been that dominating Oregon team that was there.

Now...I believe we are starting to see that instilled in some of our team.  Our front 7 on defense is starting to show that.  Even though they have been spotty this year at times, I believe it's starting to be instilled in our WRs.  It's possibly being instilled in the safety group which should also cary over to the CBs.  I actually am not as negative towards our RBs as some people.  I think we have 4 good RBs on the team with the right attitudes when healthy.  

Now....our biggest problems are the obvious.  it needs to be instilled into our O line and our QB.  Those are the positions holding us back right now.

• Plus1 1
7 minutes ago, Undone said:

Agreed. Diaco's scheme did lay an egg against Oregon but honestly, that was game two for him and his new scheme and at this point I really don't care that we lost that game.

I do care about the game this Saturday night. If we win this one, it's a huge moment for Riley and his staff and this season has a pulse again. If we get blown out, the writing is probably on the wall.

But yes, I'm glad Riley made the switch from Banker to Diaco and I really like Parella's coaching as well. We just need better scheme and play from our corners right now.

If we get blown out at home in a night game under the lights, Mike Riley better start looking at houses in Corvallis.

10 hours ago, Hans Gruber said:

I did it with Wisconsin, so I'll do it again with Oregon. (Note that with Wisconsin I just went eight years back as opposed to 10 years here).

In the last 10 seasons, Oregon has won 10 games or more games seven times, and won fewer than nine games just once. The Ducks have won four conference titles and played in two national title games. Oregon has finished in the top 10 six times in the last decade and finished the season ranked in nine of 10 years. To be fair, Oregon did go 4-8 last year. They look to be significantly better this year (although their starting QB is currently injured). https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_Oregon_Ducks_football_seasons

I would clearly take Oregon's last decade over Nebraska's last decade. Also, I would take the last decade of Oregon football over any decade of Nebraska football except the 70s, 80s or 90s. I'm obviously not trading those three decades.

Come to think of it, Frank Solich’s team played for one MNC and if not for the bad case of Fumblitis would’ve played for one in 1999.

Lets go with what he was doing.

As far as I can tell the only difference between Nebraska and Wisconsin is that Wisconsin isn't dumb enough to fire a 9-10 win/season coach because he isn't winning the national championship every season. Right now, you guys are what Minnesota was in the mid-eighties,  a team that hasn't won a championship in 20 years and doesn't realize that the world has moved on.  Of course, then the Gophers hired Lou Holtz and the rest is history. 

Good luck Saturday!

Just now, Ven said:

As far as I can tell the only difference between Nebraska and Wisconsin is that Wisconsin isn't dumb enough to fire a 9-10 win/season coach because he isn't winning the national championship every season. Right now, you guys are what Minnesota was in the mid-eighties,  a team that hasn't won a championship in 20 years and doesn't realize that the world has moved on.  Of course, then the Gophers hired Lou Holtz and the rest is history. 

Good luck Saturday!

pretty bold statement, lol. Sorry unlike Wisconsin Nebraska is a true blue blood program and won't settle for a coach who does not win championships. Pelini had seven years, his behavior was atrocious, and his performances against the like of lil red were egregious.  Wisconsin you should be afraid, honestly Nebraska might win tomorrow, but it is the future that I am most looking forward to. Once Nebraska gets this thing rolling, Wisconsin has no chance. Wisconsin is always out recruited by Nebraska, and Wisconsin has no real championship tradition to sell.  

Honestly I don't understand why anybody gives you guys any respect, you stole an identity from Nebraska, and Brett Bielima is everything that is wrong with college athletics. Remember when he kept going for two when you guys were stomping on the lil sisters of the poor in Minnesota?  Wisconsin pales to Nebraska. 

5 minutes ago, timmytbro said:

pretty bold statement, lol. Sorry unlike Wisconsin Nebraska is a true blue blood program and won't settle for a coach who does not win championships. Pelini had seven years, his behavior was atrocious, and his performances against the like of lil red were egregious.  Wisconsin you should be afraid, honestly Nebraska might win tomorrow, but it is the future that I am most looking forward to. Once Nebraska gets this thing rolling, Wisconsin has no chance. Wisconsin is always out recruited by Nebraska, and Wisconsin has no real championship tradition to sell.  

Honestly I don't understand why anybody gives you guys any respect, you stole an identity from Nebraska, and Brett Bielima is everything that is wrong with college athletics. Remember when he kept going for two when you guys were stomping on the lil sisters of the poor in Minnesota?  Wisconsin pales to Nebraska. 

See?   Just like Minnesota.

W: "You guys suck at football"

M: "We have 7 national championships!"

It doesn't even matter to you that you never beat anyone with a pulse lately, because you won a NC once!  Do you guys have a trophy game with Minnesota?  Is it a flickering candle?  No, a gasping fish out of water!  Am I close? 

Yeah, who could Wisconsin ever recruit who's worth a damn without all those blue-blood national championships to brag about.  I mean, we might have to settle for a Melvin Gordon over an Ameer Abdullah.  Well, we'll try to soldier on as second-class citizens.  Please don't out-recruit us too hard, OK?