Will Tanner Lee be a Pro Quarterback?

Hayseed

5 hours ago, BoneyardHusker said:

College quarterbacks who tend to not win much at the college level do sometimes thrive in the NFL. Hope he goes to the NFL and does well, but I'd like to see a college quarterback at Nebraska.

But as I wrote about Cook a few years ago when this debate was raging, sub-60% passers rarely find any success in the NFL, and Lee is well and consistently short of that mark.

• Plus1 1

Personally I don't care if he makes it in the NFL, I really don't care if any of them do.  I want college football players that want to play for Nebraska as priority number one.  If they do well enough and move on great for them.  I don't follow pro football, I actually hate watching it.  Your playing a team sport, not an I sport.

But Tanner's failure is not all his fault by any means.  You win as a team, you lose as a team.  There is plenty of blame for our losses, from top to bottom.  Eichorst's display to save his job and the Chancellor and President taking action knowing full well the team is struggling, could have come at a better time.  You don't have to fire some one to strart looking for their replacement.  I never have,  I always had several people that I watched for future employment.  Your job is to stop the fire before it starts.  Being prepared is never an after thought.

This is a failure on all levels.  We have watched this pinch the penny syndrome for many years, and Coach Osborne believed in it to the end.   

The task is not that difficult.  Find the best you can find, don't settle for what shows up.  Search for the best, pay them what it takes and start over.  The past is gone, forget the history, the MNC's, they mean nothing to the kids of today.  Start over, new direction, but fully supported from the top down. 

2 minutes ago, skersfan said:

Personally I don't care if he makes it in the NFL, I really don't care if any of them do.  I want college football players that want to play for Nebraska as priority number one.  If they do well enough and move on great for them.  I don't follow pro football, I actually hate watching it.  Your playing a team sport, not an I sport.

But Tanner's failure is not all his fault by any means.  You win as a team, you lose as a team.  There is plenty of blame for our losses, from top to bottom.  Eichorst's display to save his job and the Chancellor and President taking action knowing full well the team is struggling, could have come at a better time.  You don't have to fire some one to strart looking for their replacment.  I never have,  I always had several people that I watched for future employment.  Your job is to stop the fire before it starts.  Being prepared is never an after thought.

This is a failure on all levels.  We have watched this pinch the penny syndrome for many years, and Coach Osborne believed in it to the end.   

The task is not that difficult.  Find the best you can find, don't settle for what shows up.  Search for the best, pay them what it takes and start over.  The past is gone, forget the history, the MNC's, they mean nothing to the kids of today.  Start over, new direction, but fully supported from the top down. 

Yeah.  Good points.  I don't think(again) we had a plan going forward.  We just fired someone to fire someone because boosters were pissed off once again.  I do think that AD and coach need to go, but this all could have waited until the end of the season.  Really does compromise the season in which wasn't totally lost after NIU loss.

3 hours ago, southernoregonhusker said:

He showed flashes last night.  Get him a line that can block and receivers who can separate themselves and I think he can be really, really good.  It took him some games to knock off the rust, but last night I changed my opinion of him......for now ;)

Yeah it would be nice to have a OLine and some B1G style big time WRs

• Plus1 1
3 hours ago, Hayseed said:

I'm just gonna say one last thing about this.....I don't think the quarterback is responsible for interceptions that bounce off the receiver's head.

Agreed. If we’re gonna fault anyone, fault ‘Dorf for getting cute with playcalling in the red zone and getting burned by it again. 

• Plus1 1
3 hours ago, Hayseed said:

I'm just gonna say one last thing about this.....I don't think the quarterback is responsible for interceptions that bounce off the receiver's head.

Except there is no way a back can get his body turned that much on that route. The ball simply has to be in front of him. 

It was a bad, fluky bounce that was even possible because it was a bad throw. 

Let's look at the top QB's in the NFL:

Rodgers - mobile

Brady - non-mobile; but one of the last of his breed

Alex Smith - Say what you will; but his QBR is among the top this year, and was top 10 last year, and 12 the year before... very mobile

Watson & Prescott are both VERY mobile and are looking like future top QBs; along with Mariota

Cousins looks legit and is 'fairly' mobile

Even D. Carr and J. Goff are pretty fast.

The only young Qbs in the NFL that are not mobile are Ryan, Stafford.

Manning and Roethlisberger (who was mobile, once upon a time) are on their way out and will probably be replaced by this new breed of QB.

Statue QBs don't typically see success in college; and they are becoming more rare in the NFL, as scouts look for winning QBs (w/ the closest thing to a pro skill set to boot, of course)