Just an opinion

9 minutes ago, Jeremy said:

It would be a lot worse for the program in the long (and short) run to keep Riley. It would be a lot better for the program to bring in someone like Frost (who HAS proven himself as a coach, NOT just a guy who played here). We need to do whatever we can to get him.

Okay so prove to me how what you're saying is true...

17 hours ago, DrunkOffPunch said:

Are they good for the program? No, but I don't think straying from reality is good either. And I don't think some opposing program has to visit a Husker message board if they really want to negative recruit against us. It's not exactly a secret that Riley's on the hot seat and we're just starting the hard part of our schedule. 

I agree. If I was recruiting against Nebraska, I would ask kids if they wanted to play for a coach who doesn't develop talent, and has been a 500 coach for 40 years. 

• Plus1 1
21 minutes ago, Husker_Bohunk said:

No one thought we'd beat Oregon, Wisconsin, Ohio State or Penn St and so far we haven't disappointed.

I thought we might beat Oregon.

No way I thought the sponsors would call in at halftime demanding that Oregon run up the middle every time to keep the TVs on.

We were greatly mislead by the media... just like they’re trying to do now.

1 hour ago, Vince R. said:

Okay so prove to me how what you're saying is true...

Mike Riley coached the Huskers to a loss against NORTHERN ILLINOIS. At home. We didn't just lose that game - they BEAT us, and looked like the superior team. After all the bad results we've seen since Black Friday, this could probably be considered the low point, just below getting trounced by a horrible Purdue squad two years ago and losing by 59 to the buckeyes last year. 

I believe I speak for the majority of Husker fans when I say that given the recruiting budget, resources, facilities, the Sellout, fan support, and the tradition we USED to have, these are things that CAN NOT be excused. I mean, seriously - Mike Riley has a WORSE record than Bill Callahan at this point. 

Scott Frost, on the other hand, has taken a program that went 0-12, and has it in the top 25. He is on the short list for other large schools, so why not ours? If we hired Frost, immediately, this program would experience a huge boost of enthusiasm, the likes of which we haven't seen in a long time. 

• Plus1 4

4 minutes ago, Hayseed said:

I thought we might beat Oregon.

No way I thought the sponsors would call in at halftime demanding that Oregon run up the middle every time to keep the TVs on.

We were greatly mislead by the media... just like they’re trying to do now.

How do you know Oregon wasn't using the second half as a scrimmage? Maybe they just wanted to try and perfect those runs up the middle.

My point is that this is not entirely a Riley issue. Could we have just had 4 average to bad coaches in the last twenty years? Absolutely but whats scratches my head is how each staff finds itself in almost the exact same predicament and the issues appear to be the same. How does that happen with so many different coaches and players? I am trying to lead people to a greater understanding that this is something unique to us. Nebraska has a Nebraska issue right now. If Riley is fired, his replacement is going to have a HARD time shaking off this stink on the program. My only advocation for Riley is that he is doing some things better than the last staff and he's only had two and a half years. Trust me, I want to win. Nebraska has been perceived as a toxic place for years and all it has done is prove that it is. We as fans can do better on how we approach such realizations. So much like the players, we fold in tough times as well. I want better.

I read an article a couple of days ago comparing Hoke and Harbaugh's records both through their first couple of years at Michigan.  Their records were almost identical with the exception that Hoke had a better winning percentage against Michigan's rivals where Harbaugh is just 1-4.  Nebraska isn't as unique as you would like to believe.  Tennessee would be another program you might want to take a look at.  If Herman fails, you could also look at Texas. 

We are not unique, but I do agree that our problem is probably deeper than just simply coaching.  There's something I always think back to when trying to figure out why we aren't successful.  Urban Meyer alluded to years ago the reason he wasn't interested in Nebraska was because we had just fired a nine win coach.  I have always thought there was a lot more to it than that.  Successful coaches are confident in their abilities to win.  I think Meyer saw something about Nebraska that made him believe he couldn't/wouldn't be successful here.  It's the same with Notre Dame.  Every coach Notre Dame has had since Lou Holtz has gravitated towards a 60% winning percentage by the time they were fired.  Why?  How could that many coaches basically achieve similar results? 

Nebraska isn't a toxic place.  However, it is a place that runs very short on patience.  The odds of Riley being on our sideline next year have to be less than ten percent.  The next coach needs a couple of things to be successful here:  time and a consistent staff.  Bo was given the greatest amount of time since TO retired, but he pretty much piddled it away.  Had Bo went out and hired competent coordinators rather than unqualified yes men, he might still be here.  Callahan and Riley just don't fit here.  If Frost is to be our next coach, he needs to be given ample time. 

• Plus1 2
4 minutes ago, 4skers89 said:

How do you know Oregon wasn't using the second half as a scrimmage? Maybe they just wanted to try and perfect those runs up the middle.

Good one...they were using Nebraska as a scrimmage because they knew they could hang a hundred through the air any time they wanted.

It wouldn’t let me add the crying emoji.

2 minutes ago, Hayseed said:

Good one...they were using Nebraska as a scrimmage because they knew they could hang a hundred through the air any time they wanted.

It wouldn’t let me add the crying emoji.

No problem I was crying myself. Even through our tears we can see with clarity that change is needed. No excuses and no need to hide it at this point.

My point is that this is not entirely a Riley issue. Could we have just had 4 average to bad coaches in the last twenty years? Absolutely but whats scratches my head is how each staff finds itself in almost the exact same predicament and the issues appear to be the same. How does that happen with so many different coaches and players? I am trying to lead people to a greater understanding that this is something unique to us. Nebraska has a Nebraska issue right now. If Riley is fired, his replacement is going to have a HARD time shaking off this stink on the program. My only advocation for Riley is that he is doing some things better than the last staff and he's only had two and a half years. Trust me, I want to win. Nebraska has been perceived as a toxic place for years and all it has done is prove that it is. We as fans can do better on how we approach such realizations. So much like the players, we fold in tough times as well. I want better.

How do you think that Solich and Pelini had the same issues as Callahan and Riley?  Unless you're talking about the Perlman factor . . .

If we can lure Scott Frost in,  he won't have any problem shaking off the stink.  Perlman is already gone.

Still on this are we..........:bang

Since Dr. Tom retired we have had 4 Head Coaches.  Of those 4 guys, arguably Solich is still the cream of the crop.  The reason for that is pretty darn simple:  Solich played, coached here, lived here.  Sure, we can't undo why he was let go now looking back.  We went on to hire guys who didn't have a college identity(Cally), another one who was a Buckeye, not Husker, and too make up for what Pelini put this school and program thru with his attitude and behavior, we hire Mr. Nice guy.  Everything that was done since Solich, was to undo what the previous guy had f*c*ed up.  Yes all bad hires looking back.  This program and its leaders panicked.  Went from one extreme to the other.  

Devaney came here from a different culture and built one here.  Tom took that and made it better for a course of 25 years.  Solich was doing that as well, but we were a spoiled fan base that couldn't deal with Texas, OU or KSU beating us.  a sidebar on that:  Those teams were really good for a stretch of 4 or 5 seasons, and after that they have gone to the wayside except OU.  Same as Colorado having its heyday in the late 80's and early 90's.  Each program is capable of having a good stretch.  Most can't do it for the long haul.

So, I think the thing about having a shot to bring in Frost is all about him being a former player and hometown kid.  This program needs that person who knows the program, history, tradition, expectations, recruiting background, and fan base.  All of those guys we hired since Solich never had a clue.  Sure they all knew about our tradition, but they never understood it, or felt it.  Thats whats missing.  Thats what I think everyone sees in Frost.

Riley is inept at bringing this all together.  He looks the part of a lost child on the sidelines.  He knows winning football, he played for Bear Bryant.  His loyalty to his assistant coaches, like Bo's and Cally's is another bad mark.  When something is broke, fix it.  This offense has been broke since he arrived.  Never been fixed.  Hell, they still run the same plays all the time.  He tried fixing the defense, but thats in itself another dilemma now.  If Riley really wanted to stay here, he would fire Langsdorf, or at least remove him as play caller.  I don't know if it fixes anything, but it would appear that he is willing to do what it takes in order to win football games.  

• Plus1 1
56 minutes ago, Jeremy said:

Mike Riley coached the Huskers to a loss against NORTHERN ILLINOIS. At home. We didn't just lose that game - they BEAT us, and looked like the superior team. After all the bad results we've seen since Black Friday, this could probably be considered the low point, just below getting trounced by a horrible Purdue squad two years ago and losing by 59 to the buckeyes last year. 

I believe I speak for the majority of Husker fans when I say that given the recruiting budget, resources, facilities, the Sellout, fan support, and the tradition we USED to have, these are things that CAN NOT be excused. I mean, seriously - Mike Riley has a WORSE record than Bill Callahan at this point. 

Scott Frost, on the other hand, has taken a program that went 0-12, and has it in the top 25. He is on the short list for other large schools, so why not ours? If we hired Frost, immediately, this program would experience a huge boost of enthusiasm, the likes of which we haven't seen in a long time. 

Frank got his ass handed to him multiple times with a roster that wasn't too far off from a championship. Callahan had a pretty damn good roster and got torched by everyone. Bo got torched by the big boys and would also have a head scratching loss a year. I am not a MR apologist but at one point do you start to look for something else as the cause and not simply coaches. If you read my last thread you will see that I speak for majority of Husker fans on how I feel about the program. I understand what Riley has done so far. I am just trying to point out a massive theme going on in this program. 

Would I love to see Scott come here and win big? Absolutely! My god that would be amazing and then he would be here for decades and then we would cement our legacy back as a blue blood program who can win it all. Still, what blows my mind is this...

None of you know what Scott Frost really brings to the table as a HC. You can point to UCF all you want but we all know that is not a good enough of a sample size to warrant an opinion of him. Don't even name the coaches he worked with or played under. That is not good enough. The desire and sheer conveniency to anoint SF as the savior or desired coach reeks of 07 and Bo Pelini. I want Nebraska to get it right. I don't care if he played here or not. I want the best.

• Plus1 1
2 minutes ago, Vince R. said:

Frank got his ass handed to him multiple times with a roster that wasn't too far off from a championship. Callahan had a pretty damn good roster and got torched by everyone. Bo got torched by the big boys and would also have a head scratching loss a year. I agree with everything that you're saying. I am not a MR apologist but at one point do you start to look for something else as the cause and not simply coaches. If you read my last thread you will see that I speak for majority of Husker fans on how I feel about the program. I understand what Riley has done so far. I am just trying to point out a massive theme going on in this program. 

Would I love to see Scott come here and win big? Absolutely! My god that would be amazing and then he would be here for decades and then we would cement our legacy back as a blue blood program who can win it all. Still, what blows my mind is this...

None of you know what Scott Frost really brings to the table as a HC. You can point to UCF all you want but we all know that is not a good enough of a sample size to warrant an opinion of him. Don't even name the coaches he worked with or played under. That is not good enough. The desire and sheer conveniency to anoint SF as the savior or desired coach reeks of 07 and Bo Pelini. I want Nebraska to get it right. I don't care if he played here or not. I want the best.

Go watch some of Frost's pressers and his mic'd up sessions during practices.  It's obvious he has "it".  

And, he has one of the best resumes of ANY young coaching candidate out there.  He was a very successful college and NFL player (on different sides of the ball), playing under some of the greatest coaches of all time.  He was a very successful DC at UNI and then a very successful OC at Oregon.  Now, he's coaching one of the best and quickest turnarounds in college football history.   And how many coaches can say that BOTH of their parents were also football coaches?

It's easier to see that Frost will be a superstar than it was to see that Riley would be a dud.  Barely.  

• Plus1 3

I want to take a moment and thank everyone who has contributed to this conversation. I respect the opinions and thoughts of others and I know we all come from the same place. I truly do believe that we will have our moment as a program again and it will be sweet...

• Plus1 3
4 minutes ago, Isle of View said:

Go watch some of Frost's pressers and his mic'd up sessions during practices.  It's obvious he has "it".  

And, he has one of the best resumes of ANY young coaching candidate out there.  He was a very successful college and NFL player (on different sides of the ball), playing under some of the greatest coaches of all time.  He was a very successful DC at UNI and then a very successful OC at Oregon.  Now, he's coaching one of the best and quickest turnarounds in college football history.   And how many coaches can say that BOTH of their parents were also football coaches?

It's easier to see that Frost will be a superstar than it was to see that Riley would be a dud.  Barely.  

I will say this then. If Frost does come here, we as a fan base need to be careful. He should be given ample time to get this right. If he struggles at all, you know what will be said..."Nebraska jumped the gun" "he wasn't ready"...Most importantly, if we get him too early and he fails miserably, " The narrative will become, what does it say about Nebraska if Scott Frost cannot succeed there. A guy who knows the program from its glory days like the back of his hand". We will struggle big time to get out of that hole.