Racism - It's a real thing.

1 hour ago, NM11046 said:

Submitted without comment other than I think most women likely have differing thoughts than many men about Joe Rogan and his show's value.

https://jessica.substack.com/p/psychology-of-a-joe-rogan-fan

That article veers into a pet theory of mine: the #1 fear of 21st Century Americans is leading a boring life. Or more to the point, they're afraid other people think they're boring. They will do anything to fight that perception, short of taking a real risk or making a personal sacrifice.

This has a huge influence on the messages the media feeds us. 

• Plus1 2
4 hours ago, Guy Chamberlin said:

Just to set the record straight, Colin Kaepernick actually WAS an NFL superstar, having led his team to the Super Bowl, putting up historic rushing & receiving totals, winning the 2013 Espy Award for Breakthrough athlete (beating Mike Trout), and having the best-selling jersey in the entire NFL.

You are right that he discovered racial politics only after he was replaced by Blaine Frikkin Gabbert, when a huge exodus of talent and coaching left the 49ers floundering. (they did reinstate him upon realizing he was much better than Gabbert, a QB who was still drawing an NFL paycheck this season). So Colin wasn't risking quite as much when he took his controversial knee. But as with many things in life, Colin's inspiration was a hot girlfriend who was active in racial politics, who appears to have revolutionized him overnight.  Kaepernick had a good friend in the military and consulted with him on his plan to sit out the national anthem. The friend recommended kneeling instead, and gave Kaepernick his blessing. Less reported are the many military vets who didn't freak out about this, and defended both Kaepernick's right and purpose. 

So when you accuse Colin Kaepernick of putting his own interests as top priority......well who doesn't? It's still noteworthy that his own interests have been social justice for others not nearly as privileged, and he put his own money where his mouth is, personally contributing $1million plus to lesser known civil rights organizations, and making Nike do the same in order to retain his services. 

I'm also pretty forgiving of Rogan -- not that he seems unwilling to see vaccines as a logical component of health & fitness -- but his right to lead conversations, be wrong, and take heat for it.  Still, the racial comments folks dug up about Rogan were pretty cringy, and to his credit Joe's apology seemed genuinely contrite. 

A little revisionist history with that post.  

CK didn’t have a single season where he was in the top half in passing yardage, only had a single season where he was top half in QBR, a single season where he was I believe exactly middle of the pack in Rating.  The rest of his seasons he was replacement player level at best.  So no, he wasn’t a superstar because of play.  He was a media made superstar.  

CK had ample opportunity to take backup money to re-establish himself if he got the chance to play.  It’s what the guy you mention has done.  The one that’s still in the league.  CK chose not to do that because he makes more money doing the protest thing.  

• Plus1 2

Action. Consequence.

But, really. This is abhorrent.

Omaha company fires employee for behavior on plane

An Omaha software company has fired an employee after its workers disrupted a Delta flight and one of them reportedly used the N-word.

Buildertrend CEO Dan Houghton said Wednesday that “based on actions that do not align with Buildertrend’s values and standards of conduct, one employee has been terminated.”

Houghton also apologized and said the investigation into the incident continues “with internal and external parties to learn as much as possible so that we can take appropriate action.”

“We sincerely apologize to the passengers and employees of Delta Air Lines; to our employees and customers; our partners in business and philanthropy; and to the communities we serve,” Houghton said in a statement.

• Plus1 1
27 minutes ago, Archy1221 said:

A little revisionist history with that post.  

CK didn’t have a single season where he was in the top half in passing yardage, only had a single season where he was top half in QBR, a single season where he was I believe exactly middle of the pack in Rating.  The rest of his seasons he was replacement player level at best.  So no, he wasn’t a superstar because of play.  He was a media made superstar.  

CK had ample opportunity to take backup money to re-establish himself if he got the chance to play.  It’s what the guy you mention has done.  The one that’s still in the league.  CK chose not to do that because he makes more money doing the protest thing.  

Yeah but no.

If it's so important for you to denigrate Colin Kaepernick, you can cherry pick whatever stats you like. I was more interested in the qualitative assessments, which is where the Superbowl appearance, rushing QB records, ESPN awards, and the #1 jersey in the NFL come in. Kaepernick was hot s#!t for two years prior to any controversy, and that was the assessment of the football world, not just the media. 

Just for fun, use your statistical analysis to tell Husker fans how unremarkable Tommie Frazier and Eric Crouch were. 

Also, CK didn't have "ample opportunity to take backup money to re-establish himself." That's why he won the lawsuit against the NFL. It seems people just like talking s#!t about Colin that isn't always true.

https://bleacherreport.com/articles/2726323-colin-kaepernick-representatives-reportedly-deny-qb-rejected-nfl-contract

Now take the three remaining seasons where Trent Ballke gutted the players and coaching staff around Kaepernick. Take CKs worst seasons, mash them in a ball and give me his QBR. That number is still better than dozens of quarterbacks who continued to draw NFL salaries.

This guy will walk you through it.

https://boston.cbslocal.com/2020/06/06/setting-record-straight-colin-kaepernick-as-an-nfl-quarterback/

And in that awful final season with brain dead offensive coaching, Colin Kaepernick won the Len Eshmont award for "most inspirational and courageous" member of the 49ers as voted by his teammates, the guys who would have every reason to resent him for being a media made superstar, but instead saw him getting to every workout early and genuinely putting himself on the line. 

Or go with Blaine Gabbert, the Ivermectin of QBs. Your call. 

• Plus1 5
  • Thanks 1
  • Haha 2

44 minutes ago, Guy Chamberlin said:

I was more interested in the qualitative assessments, which is where the Superbowl appearance, rushing QB records, ESPN awards, and the #1 jersey in the NFL come in. Kaepernick was hot s#!t for two years prior to any controversy, and that was the assessment of the football world, not just the media. 

To be honest, those might be the last four things I'd look for on a list trying to measure quarterbacks. Trent Dilfer won a superbowl, quarterbacks primarily pass, and the other two are popularity which as we've seen with Tebow is not correlated with talent.

• Plus1 1
1 hour ago, Guy Chamberlin said:

If it's so important for you to denigrate Colin Kaepernick, you can cherry pick whatever stats you like.

I’m not out to denigrate CK, I’m responding to to an assertion by you that he was a superstar, which the numbers indicate he absolutely wasn’t (on the field)

I was more interested in the qualitative assessments, which is where the Superbowl appearance, rushing QB records, ESPN awards, and the #1 jersey in the NFL come in.

Lorewarn responded well to this

Also, CK didn't have "ample opportunity to take backup money to re-establish himself." T

Your using an article that quotes his own rep denying it.  OK.  What else do you expect him to say :dunno  Doesn’t make him truthful. 

Take CKs worst seasons, mash them in a ball and give me his QBR. That number is still better than dozens of quarterbacks who continued to draw NFL salaries.

You mean the ones taking backup money?  Like he could have. 

And in that awful final season with brain dead offensive coaching, Colin Kaepernick won the Len Eshmont award for "most inspirational and courageous" member of the 49ers as voted by his teammates, the guys who would have every reason to resent him for being a media made superstar, but instead saw him getting to every workout early and genuinely putting himself on the line. 

And that doesn’t actually make him a superstar QB though.  It makes him liked by his teammates.  

He had 11/2 decent years and that’s about it.  

• Plus1 2
41 minutes ago, Archy1221 said:

I’m not out to denigrate CK, I’m responding to to an assertion by you that he was a superstar, which the numbers indicate he absolutely wasn’t (on the field)

Lorewarn responded well to this

Your using an article that quotes his own rep denying it.  OK.  What else do you expect him to say :dunno  Doesn’t make him truthful. 

You mean the ones taking backup money?  Like he could have. 

And that doesn’t actually make him a superstar QB though.  It makes him liked by his teammates.  

He had 11/2 decent years and that’s about it.  

You didn't read the link. Not the one from his "rep" but from the guy who knows a lot more about football than you do. 

https://boston.cbslocal.com/2020/06/06/setting-record-straight-colin-kaepernick-as-an-nfl-quarterback/

I never said CK had more than 2 decent years. But he in fact did have a superstar year. Unless you think the people who voted him Breakthrough Athlete of the Year (all sports, not just football) didn't have your acumen with stats, or that they gave even a fraction of that respect to Tim Tebow. 

And yes, you are looking to denigrate Colin Kaepernick, having opened with the premise that the media made him a star, not his play on the field, and that he makes more money from his protest gig. Jesus. 

You honestly think Blaine Gabbert did more to prove himself worthy of continued NFL employment? And there wasn't collusion to keep CK from proving himself, even as a back-up?

• Plus1 1
25 minutes ago, Guy Chamberlin said:

You didn't read the link. Not the one from his "rep" but from the guy who knows a lot more about football than you do. 

Looking into the background of the author There is a zero percent chance the writer knows more about QB play than myself.  I played the position for 14 years and coached it another 7.   You may want to know the background of someone before making those types of claims in the future

32 minutes ago, Guy Chamberlin said:

Unless you think the people who voted him Breakthrough Athlete of the Year (all sports, not just football) didn't have your acumen with stats, or that they gave even a fraction of that respect to Tim Tebow.

I think an ESPN award does not mean a “Superstar” year on the field.  Was he a Pro Bowl election?  That would be a better indication of a good year than an “ESPY”. I don’t know which is why I’m asking.  

34 minutes ago, Guy Chamberlin said:

And yes, you are looking to denigrate Colin Kaepernick, having opened with the premise that the media made him a star, not his play on the field,

Take it however you wish.   Saying he wasn’t a Superstar isn’t denigrating someone.  It’s saying they didn’t have a Superstar year.  He made it farther than I ever did, so he was much better than me, but not a playing Superstar in my opinion.   Yours may differ which is fantastic.  Nothing wrong with that.

38 minutes ago, Guy Chamberlin said:

You honestly think Blaine Gabbert did more to prove himself worthy of continued NFL employment? And there wasn't collusion to keep CK from proving himself, even as a back-up?

I don’t think I made that claim.   I did say Blaine Gabbert is willing to be a backup QB in the league, which is with is still in the league and not CK. 

• Plus1 2
5 hours ago, Guy Chamberlin said:

Unless you think the people who voted him Breakthrough Athlete of the Year (all sports, not just football) didn't have your acumen with stats, or that they gave even a fraction of that respect to Tim Tebow. 

Piggybacking off my previous post (and please don't ascribe arguments to me that I've already made because I have zero ideological conviction against Kaepernick), this means nothing.

Unless you think that winning a grammy or an oscar is what defines success as a musician/filmmaker, then you're at least consistent but awards like this are really just about compelling narratives and very little to do with performance. I mean look at all the years Nick Saban hasn't won SEC coach of the year.

• Plus1 1

On 2/9/2022 at 8:32 AM, Redux said:

Kaepernick wanted notoriety because he was never going to be an NFL superstar, he was serviceable.  So he turned his career into an agenda, and it worked.  I don't like the kneeling thing, but I've also gone on record to say if you want to do it go for it.  Better than rioting.  But let's not pretend Kaepernick was doing anything without his own interests as the top priority.

I think we've wandered away from my original response to Redux, and it might be as simple as saying Kaepernick was never going to be an NFL superstar again. But the notion that he wasn't hugely respected for his football skills in that 2012/2013 run is simply untrue, and the very meaning of superstar means you've broken out to a bigger audience. That's what winning an ESPY and having the #1 selling jersey in the NFL is all about. Trying to refute that with stats misses the point, which is why I brought up Tommie Frazier and Eric Crouch instead of Milli Vanilli and Taylor Swift.
I was also responding the this notion that Kaepernick turned to social justice as a self-absorbed money making strategy, ignoring what he gave up, the s#!t he's had to deal with, and the time and financial commitment he's consistently put into it. 
And you may not like that particular source, but there are plenty of others who will give you the cold, hard stats about the many QBs with worse QBRs who continue to draw NFL paychecks. As a 49ers fan, I can assure you CK was not the reason the team tanked in his last two seasons. Admittedly, the timing was right for a hot girlfriend to politicize him. 

• Plus1 3
31 minutes ago, BigRedBuster said:

If people stopped with the knee jerk reaction to the kneeling and read who convinced him to kneel and why, they might have a different reaction to it.

I don't find anything questionable about what started all of this. He found something important to him, encouraged by a vet, and started kneeling on his own "privately" and did it for seven games before anybody even noticed or made mention of it. 

Later on is when it started to feel opportunistic, but I'd blame that on Nike as much as anyone else. "Believe in something, even if it means sacrificing everything" is a bit sanctimonious for a millionaire getting paid more millions to be the spokesperson for the message.

• Plus1 1
  • Oh Yeah! 1
On 2/10/2022 at 2:51 PM, NM11046 said:

Submitted without comment other than I think most women likely have differing thoughts than many men about Joe Rogan and his show's value.

https://jessica.substack.com/p/psychology-of-a-joe-rogan-fan

Oh, she’s salty. :lol:

She didn’t describe Joe Rogan fans. She described every mass reaction of defense of a public figure to ever happen on the internet. 

On 2/10/2022 at 4:15 PM, Guy Chamberlin said:

That article veers into a pet theory of mine: the #1 fear of 21st Century Americans is leading a boring life. Or more to the point, they're afraid other people think they're boring. They will do anything to fight that perception, short of taking a real risk or making a personal sacrifice.

This has a huge influence on the messages the media feeds us. 

I don’t know about that. I think most of the people I know, and probably in a lot of rural areas, are perfectly content being boring. Personally, I try to avoid boredom way more than boring.

• Plus1 2
3 hours ago, B.B. Hemingway said:

I don’t know about that. I think most of the people I know, and probably in a lot of rural areas, are perfectly content being boring. Personally, I try to avoid boredom way more than boring.

Well it doesn't always mean engaging in high-risk sports or wife-swapping. For some it's not wanting to be seen as sheep. Conspiracy theories usually rely on making the believer think they are privy to high-level information that threatens the elite powers. It's typically more exciting than the truth. 

I can come up with a whole bunch of examples of why my life isn't boring. But the truth is, it's boring. 

Exhibit A:  Facebook. 

• Plus1 2