Racism - It's a real thing.

9 hours ago, B.B. Hemingway said:

Are they pointing out her ironic last name?!

I don’t think they even see the irony in the fake last name, or the fake university, or the fake person.

They don’t even realize it’s a troll account.

They think it’s a real person who’s lost her mind.

• Plus1 1

I'm seeing tons of stuff about Joe Rogan and Spotify. And just when I'm in the middle of defending Rogan as merely an anti-Vax dimwit, comes Joe's racial s#!t — the kind of disclosures that have historically derailed other celebrities careers. 

I'm still kinda stuck on the NFL, whose panicky response to the failure of its Rooney Rule is to give the Texans job to Lovie Smith, a HC retread coming off years of failure at the college and pro level, and the Dolphins job to Mike McDaniel, a deserving assistant coach that nobody knew was biracial until this hire. 

13 hours ago, funhusker said:

Well that’s just ridiculous!

And the people responding to the obvious parody account don’t seem to realize it’s parody at all.  At least the Lesby Tweeter is just pretending to be an idiot.

They are the same people who pass along Onion headlines as appalling facts.

This "Abortionplex" article got a lot of play a few years ago from people who don't recognize the blatant baiting technique. 

https://www.theonion.com/planned-parenthood-opens-8-billion-abortionplex-1819572640

2 hours ago, Guy Chamberlin said:

I'm seeing tons of stuff about Joe Rogan and Spotify. And just when I'm in the middle of defending Rogan as merely an anti-Vax dimwit, comes Joe's racial s#!t — the kind of disclosures that have historically derailed other celebrities careers. 

I'm still kinda stuck on the NFL, whose panicky response to the failure of its Rooney Rule is to give the Texans job to Lovie Smith, a HC retread coming off years of failure at the college and pro level, and the Dolphins job to Mike McDaniel, a deserving assistant coach that nobody knew was biracial until this hire. 

Yeah, I find the timing of hiring of 2 minority candidates very interesting.  At least it's not another NFL coaching hire driven by nepotism.

2 hours ago, Guy Chamberlin said:

He quite literally was not being racist, but the usage of the word is abhorrent either way now.  At the time it was still pretty abhorrent and I was surprised the instances were as recent as they were, but taken out of context as they were, they look much more sinister than they actually were.  I don't believe any intention of his has ever had any racist undertone.

• Plus1 2
1 hour ago, Redux said:

He quite literally was not being racist, but the usage of the word is abhorrent either way now.  At the time it was still pretty abhorrent and I was surprised the instances were as recent as they were, but taken out of context as they were, they look much more sinister than they actually were.  I don't believe any intention of his has ever had any racist undertone.

There's nothing abhorrent about using the word in the context of repeating what somebody said, especially if what they said was awful.

Room for different approaches? Absolutely. I still wouldn't say it, but abhorrent? Not in my book.

I used to watch Rogan's podcast sometimes when it was on YouTube.  The first time I watched Neil Degrasse Tyson was the guest and I thought it was a insane to waste so much of an astrophysicist's time by trying to argue the moon landing was fake, when you could be asking him literally anything about the universe. 

Fast forward like 8 years or something and the guy who was arguing the moon landing was fake was suddenly being held to a higher standard of journalistic integrity than, like, actual journalists.  

I do remember an episode where he did say the that one naughty word a few times.  It was in a context where they were discussing the word itself and there was no apparent racist intent behind it.    He did seem a bit giddy to have an opportunity to say it, which was a little suspect.    The whole thing was just weird to me.  Maybe he just watched that one Carlin bit and felt inspired.

To me the draw to his podcast was never him, but his guests, although he's clearly great at interviewing them.   The episodes where it was just him and his buddies were awful to me.  Unless his buddies were hilarious comedians.

Also I think I've just come to the conclusion that I'm a free speech extremist.  It doesn't have to be government censorship for me to be annoyed by it.  Any kind of censorship will do.  Even if it's some has-been musician trying to do it.

• Plus1 1
  • Thanks 1

I'm pretty confused by this quote from Rogan in 2017.

Joe Rogan argued for saying the N-word: “Don’t you think by not saying it,

it becomes this ridiculously charged magic word?”

Rogan predicted people would get in trouble for saying “the N-word,” just like they do for wearing “hoop earrings, braids, and dreadlocks."

To the bolded, I feel like the word has been ridiculously charged my entire life. I'm 32. I've never known a point in time as a white person where it was OK to say that word... or really even for anyone to say that word. It's even a big issue within the black community despite the appearances from pop culture.

Those comments just seem wildly ill-informed.

• Plus1 2