Racism - It's a real thing.

2 hours ago, knapplc said:

Good thing there's no more racism. ¯\_(ツ)_/¯

It should probably be pointed out that this article is nearly 7 years old, and a month later the decision was overturned, due to public pressure I'm sure.... I'd be curious what the original reason for closing them was, and also how far the nearest DMV is from those counties. A 20-30 mile drive to the nearest DMV isn't uncommon here in rural Missouri.

• Plus1 1
  • Oh Yeah! 1
2 hours ago, B.B. Hemingway said:

It should probably be pointed out that this article is nearly 7 years old, and a month later the decision was overturned, due to public pressure I'm sure.... I'd be curious what the original reason for closing them was, and also how far the nearest DMV is from those counties. A 20-30 mile drive to the nearest DMV isn't uncommon here in rural Missouri.

Keep in mind that those “racist” Doctors office will be asking for the dreaded photo ID when patients present their Medicare/insurance cards.   

• Plus1 2
3 hours ago, B.B. Hemingway said:

Yes, this is from six years (and three months) ago (not seven). And yes, the decision was overturned by the Alabama governor after a public uproar.

But it's not an accident this attempt was made less than two years after the Supremes gutted the Voting Rights Act curtailing such moves in discriminatory states.

Less than two years! And less than seven years ago!

Let's just stop pretending racism is dead in America. It's thriving, and getting stronger.

And the racists are working every day to expand their power. They're not going to stop trying stuff like this. Let's not pretend they're done because this didn't happen in 2022.

• Plus1 3
  • Thanks 2
  • Haha 2

4 minutes ago, B.B. Hemingway said:

I hope the Hispanics mixing with White families are paying attention. Soon you'll be white enough to be the oppressor! 

How stupid all the way around. Even if it wasn't a mistake, the original headline of the article is idiotic and should be condemned.  So, if a young white guy looks to be a good coach, we aren't supposed to look at him as a new hot coaching prospect?

• Plus1 1
Just now, BigRedBuster said:

How stupid all the way around. Even if it wasn't a mistake, the original headline of the article is idiotic and should be condemned.  So, if a young white guy looks to be a good coach, we aren't supposed to look at him as a new hot coaching prospect?

He didn't even make a good argument against it. He compared McDaniel to white guys like McVay, LeFleur, Shanahan, Kingsbury, etc. They seem to be doing okay. Along the lines of the last part of your post, I was listening to a Vikings podcast and they were talking about the new GM/Head Coach hires that the Vikings needed to make and the guy on the podcast, who has connections in the organization, said he was told by someone from within the Vikings organization that one thing that wasn't going to happen was hiring two white guys to fill the two spots. It's an interesting corner to put yourself in. Just hire the best guys available. If that's two white guys, great. If it's not? Also great. For the record, they've hired their GM (a black guy), and I think it was a great hire.

• Plus1 3
10 minutes ago, B.B. Hemingway said:

He didn't even make a good argument against it. He compared McDaniel to white guys like McVay, LeFleur, Shanahan, Kingsbury, etc. They seem to be doing okay. Along the lines of the last part of your post, I was listening to a Vikings podcast and they were talking about the new GM/Head Coach hires that the Vikings needed to make and the guy on the podcast, who has connections in the organization, said he was told by someone from within the Vikings organization that one thing that wasn't going to happen was hiring two white guys to fill the two spots. It's an interesting corner to put yourself in. Just hire the best guys available. If that's two white guys, great. If it's not? Also great. For the record, they've hired their GM (a black guy), and I think it was a great hire.

I have a relative who was the head distance track coach at a university.  So, there's a head coach over all of track above him.  My relative, won coach of the year for his region.  He's taken a program that was struggling and has made it a national contender.  He is passionate about it and has always loved it.

He recently resigned and is getting out of coaching.  Why?  He has been told that it will be very hard to get a head coaching job (like the guy above him) because he's white.  Athletic departments are graded on their diversity.  And, for every black HC, you get a point. Well, a track HC is technically over 4 sports.  Men's outdoor, Men's indoor, Women's outdoor and Women's indoor.  So, just by hiring one black HC in track, the University gets 4 points for hiring one guy.

So, he's decided to change careers.

• Plus1 1
20 minutes ago, BigRedBuster said:

I have a relative who was the head distance track coach at a university.  So, there's a head coach over all of track above him.  My relative, won coach of the year for his region.  He's taken a program that was struggling and has made it a national contender.  He is passionate about it and has always loved it.

He recently resigned and is getting out of coaching.  Why?  He has been told that it will be very hard to get a head coaching job (like the guy above him) because he's white.  Athletic departments are graded on their diversity.  And, for every black HC, you get a point. Well, a track HC is technically over 4 sports.  Men's outdoor, Men's indoor, Women's outdoor and Women's indoor.  So, just by hiring one black HC in track, the University gets 4 points for hiring one guy.

And some will call that "equality". Wild times. 

• Plus1 3

1 hour ago, BigRedBuster said:

Seems he could simply change colleges - the diversity initiatives that were signed onto by universities are similar to the NFL Goal of increasing diversity at a head coaching level.

In an "industry" where many of the actual employees are people of color the leadership should be more reflective of that.  But it also needs to start further up, with the leadership of the college, who I'd wager are white men.  

https://www.espn.com/college-football/story/_/id/30662206/college-sports-diversify-racial-gender-hiring-practices

15 minutes ago, NM11046 said:

In an "industry" where many of the actual employees are people of color the leadership should be more reflective of that.

Why "should" this be? It's no secret why there are  many more black athletes at the professional level than white athletes. Black people are genetically much more gifted athletes, on average, than White people. So naturally, in a "let the best man win" environment, the black/better athletes are going to rise to the top of their profession. How much athletic ability does it take to run and/or coach a professional sports team? It would appear the answer to that is next to none. In that role of the professional sports world, intellect is what matters. Leadership matters. All of which White people seem to be at least just as capable of doing. Equal representation doesn't matter on the field of play, and it shouldn't matter in any organization where the goal is to win. Let the best man win. Always.

• Plus1 1
  • Thanks 1