Racism - It's a real thing.

On 9/10/2022 at 2:31 PM, RedDenver said:

Ok. - Could argue the same about Rural Wealth. Every interstate system or 4 lane hwy bypasses the old mainstreet gas stations, grocery stores, and restaurants that used to lure travelers in and bring wealth to rural communities. - Hell the Disney movie cars even makes this point, lamenting the deterioration of towns along Route 66. - The Urban renewal and planning part of course is unique to Urban communities, but the Interstate system (like all of our nation) was built for the benefit of the elite living in cities at the expense of the poor everywhere. - I'm not arguing against systemic racism (minorities certainly have severe disadvantages unique to them), at all, but some people are blinded by what they know and their experiences. Our nation was built for the rich at the expense of the poor, racism is a tool the rich use to divide the poor and get them to turn on each other. It continues to this day. I've said it before though, there is as much poverty in rural US as there is inner city US, focusing only on inner city is where the Democratic party loses rural voters. 

• Haha 1

On 9/12/2022 at 1:50 PM, Born N Bled Red said:

Ok. - Could argue the same about Rural Wealth. Every interstate system or 4 lane hwy bypasses the old mainstreet gas stations, grocery stores, and restaurants that used to lure travelers in and bring wealth to rural communities. - Hell the Disney movie cars even makes this point, lamenting the deterioration of towns along Route 66. - The Urban renewal and planning part of course is unique to Urban communities, but the Interstate system (like all of our nation) was built for the benefit of the elite living in cities at the expense of the poor everywhere. - I'm not arguing against systemic racism (minorities certainly have severe disadvantages unique to them), at all, but some people are blinded by what they know and their experiences. Our nation was built for the rich at the expense of the poor, racism is a tool the rich use to divide the poor and get them to turn on each other. It continues to this day. I've said it before though, there is as much poverty in rural US as there is inner city US, focusing only on inner city is where the Democratic party loses rural voters. 

I understand rural communities want those roads to go through town, but Wahoo is a perfect example of how the public should not have to deal with a small town's whackadoo street system to prop up the town. 

eDjTI3Y.png

Crete is another one that could use a bypass, but there's not enough traffic to warrant it.

YT7gqwc.png

On 9/12/2022 at 1:50 PM, Born N Bled Red said:

Rural communities through the central part of Nebraska have greatly benefited from the interstate system.  I fail to see how the interstate system was only built to benefit the elite in cities.

24 minutes ago, knapplc said:

I understand rural communities want those roads to go through town, but Wahoo is a perfect example of how the public should not have to deal with a small town's whackadoo street system to prop up the town. 

eDjTI3Y.png

Crete is another one that could use a bypass, but there's not enough traffic to warrant it.

YT7gqwc.png

As someone who frequently uses the interstate, I totally agree. I especially like avoiding the speed traps at the entrance/ exit of a small town. It has still severely impacted the economies of those towns. 

Just now, Born N Bled Red said:

How do you figure?

Really?  Just look at the development of communities along I80 through Nebraska.  I know my company would not be able to exist in central Nebraska without the interstate system.  I use it constantly traveling east and west through Nebraska.  

Are you seriously believing that the interstate system doesn't benefit smaller towns that are along it?

1 minute ago, Born N Bled Red said:

As someone who frequently uses the interstate, I totally agree. I especially like avoiding the speed traps at the entrance/ exit of a small town. It has still severely impacted the economies of those towns. 

At first, it did.  But, communities have adjusted.  Just look at York.  The interstate system was put in in my area the year I was born.  When I was a kid, the first McDonalds I ever saw was at the York exit.  Now look at that exit.