The debate is over... right?

Branno

3 minutes ago, skersfan said:

Why wouldn't they quit, it seems most of the fans have.

I still feel the team is together, but with what this board has generated in hate and contempt for the team, remember the coaches and players are part of a team, really should not have to mention that to all the claimed coaches on this site.   When you tell people at every instance possible, that their leadership is garbage, toxic, they begin to listen.  Accentuate the positive, overcome the negative. 

There is no correlation to what is said on this message board and our team getting embarrassed by Ohio State a week and a half ago. None.

• Plus1 4

52 minutes ago, skersfan said:

I can admit that playing in front of jacked-up fans ads a bit more excitement to an already exciting situation. If you're not excited to simply be on the field competing, I'm unsure why you'd be playing sports in the first place.I can't think of a time at any level that I let my game performance slip simply because of the amount of people watching. I don't suspect most other people do either.

I'm not the first to state this, but watch the tunnel walk. Our fans on the side of the walk (and stadium) ARE jacked-up, but the team often looks like they're marching towards a burial. 

• Plus1 1

This board has been ablaze since Arky State.  They hear it daily about how bad the coaching staff it.  That in turn says they were not right in their decision to play for said coaching staff.  What people say has way more affect than they think.

As to getting embarrassed by Ohio State, in honesty it has become a regular deal, along with Wisconsin, and any team with a pulse.  It did not start three years ago.  So two coaches are to blame. 

I am not talking about the stadium, but they hear how bad everything is, every single day, every hour and if they read the garbage on here, every second.  They hear it from their friends, the talking heads. 

Most on this board have quit on this team.  Major members say they aren't going to the games anymore.

All that gets back to the team, not only the coaches, but the players. 

15 minutes ago, skersfan said:

This board has been ablaze since Arky State.  They hear it daily about how bad the coaching staff it.  That in turn says they were not right in their decision to play for said coaching staff.  What people say has way more affect than they think.

As to getting embarrassed by Ohio State, in honesty it has become a regular deal, along with Wisconsin, and any team with a pulse.  It did not start three years ago.  So two coaches are to blame. 

I am not talking about the stadium, but they hear how bad everything is, every single day, every hour and if they read the garbage on here, every second.  They hear it from their friends, the talking heads. 

Most on this board have quit on this team.  Major members say they aren't going to the games anymore.

All that gets back to the team, not only the coaches, but the players. 

Can Mike Riley win the West division at some point? Maybe. 

If he posts a 6/6 record or worse this season, the body of evidence in three seasons would most likely point to the answer being "no." There it is, in a non-inflammatory, gut check analysis. No emotion, just evidence.

I want this team to go 5-0 in these last five games. But the performance in the first seven suggest this would be miraculous. Everybody in the college football world knows this; it really is not affected by what a fan says on a message board.

• Plus1 1

I agree the tone is set, but these message boards are way more powerful than you think.  Not just football.

I would love to see Coach Riley win out, not for Coach Riley, but for Nebraska.  But I also understand even if it did happen, very few would be happy about it.  Not the wins, but the possibility of Coach Riley returning.  Very hard for 95% on this board.   

On 10/22/2017 at 11:28 AM, FTW said:

The only team I see that is not beatable on paper for us is Penn State. After what I saw yesterday, the rest are toss ups but if I had to guess, I think we'll win only one road game for the rest of the season, and beat Northwestern at home. That equates to 5-7. Not a good year. Riley would join Bill Callahan for having 2 losing seasons during their regimes.

There is no coming back after that.

I think winning 2 games more is a stretch. :facepalm:  I was more optimistic during the BC era.  Then at least we had an offense.  Now, not so much on either side.  All of this after the mega hype about the new D, our new Heisman like, can't miss pro-QB, improved OL,  yada, yada.  Instead of kool-aid they should have been passing out something a bit stronger so that we wouldn't notice the product on the field.  We have noticed, and now it is time for that something stronger - and I don't drink. Pass the cough meds my way please!

In our last game on National TV the announcers were discussing potential replacements for Riley given the season he's having.  It's not just random people on a message board.  That sort of national exposure can't be good for recruiting.

When the announcers get bored during the Penn State game, they will likely talk about it too.  Everyone could be 100% positive on Husker message boards and show up for every game, but Riley has been inching up on most every major sports broadcasting and analyst's hot seat lists this season.  Continued poor results will mean it's discussed before, during, and after Nebraska's games; even if it's not talked about here.

• Plus1 2
1 hour ago, skersfan said:

I still feel the team is together, but with what this board has generated in hate and contempt for the team, remember the coaches and players are part of a team, really should not have to mention that to all the claimed coaches on this site.   When you tell people at every instance possible, that their leadership is garbage, toxic, they begin to listen.  Accentuate the positive, overcome the negative. 

There is no contempt towards the team or MR.  I think most of us respect MR as a person a great deal.  It is his coaching that rightfully can be judged.  Regarding the players, they are limited by the same coaching but their is no contempt.  If there is contempt to be found it should be directed at SE and HP for allowing this mess to originate. 3 years ago.  If you are going to fire a 9 win coach (which is justifiable based on Bo's performance on and off the field) then hire a 10-12 win coach - upgrade when you get the opportunity. No we go to a 5-7 win direction and it will be 3 or 4 win this year.

37 minutes ago, skersfan said:

I agree the tone is set, but these message boards are way more powerful than you think.  Not just football.

I would love to see Coach Riley win out, not for Coach Riley, but for Nebraska.  But I also understand even if it did happen, very few would be happy about it.  Not the wins, but the possibility of Coach Riley returning.  Very hard for 95% on this board.   

How many games have the fans attitude cost Nebraska? I think we would be undefeated under riley if this huskerboard didn't exist.

• Plus1 2
4 hours ago, LumberJackSker said:

How many games have the fans attitude cost Nebraska? I think we would be undefeated under riley if this huskerboard didn't exist.

I think we would be undefeated if:

1.) Our coach had some backbone and discipline 

2.) Handle outside distractions by downplaying them

3.) Get rid of the NFL shoulder pads only walkthrough practice routine.

4.) Made sure Boyd Epley was far away from the program as possible.

Sadly most of the above is in Riley's DNA and it can't be altered. Undisciplined, no accountability among the players. No real leadership from the coaches and none among the players on and off the field. The lack of physicality/toughness resulting in constant injuries or players not being able to tough things out.

I'm really tired of players talking to the media and hyping up the team. The talk of the defense being so great, the 3-4 out scheming our offense. Players should humble themselves more and let their talking happen on the football field. Actions speak louder than words after all.