** Scott Frost megathread all things SF***

brophog

4 minutes ago, jessica0 said:

Last week Kelly news broke out for UF. Here we are on late Friday afternoon and he still hasn't been hired. It doesn't take this long to vet, write contract, and hire if there were not other issues outstanding. I'm not buying this "vetting assistants" stuff Florida fans are pushing. I bet there is internal fighting and someone is winning to prevent this from being done already. 

So how does this effect your thoughts on Frost?  Seemed like Chip was a done deal.....

2 minutes ago, lo country said:

Agree.  Been a fan a long time.  If we are going to start measuring success by saying "we didn't get blown out this year" or we only lost 3, but they were all close", we are done as contenders and don't understand what it takes to get back.

TO going for 2 should prove this more than anything.  It's about winning......

I don't think you'll ever hear Saban say something about a moral victory.  Or Urban.....Watching him get pi$$ed when they were beating us down when the got a penalty told me all I needed to know about W-L and with that guy or any truly successful coach.  

The problem is the younger people are so used to seeing blowouts and 3+ losses per season they don't know any different.  They just want to be better than "that"

3 minutes ago, Sparker said:

So you were wrong about something?

NOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO

Where did I ever say it was my info? As I told some other poster, everything that I post can be sourced (translation = I'm not the one pushing it as my news). 

6 minutes ago, lo country said:

Agree.  Been a fan a long time.  If we are going to start measuring success by saying "we didn't get blown out this year" or we only lost 3, but they were all close", we are done as contenders and don't understand what it takes to get back.

I don't think you'll ever hear Saban say something about a moral victory.  Or Urban.....Watching him get pi$$ed when they were beating us down when the got a penalty told me all I needed to know about W-L and with that guy or any truly successful coach.  

Bolded was my thought at the time as well. +1

Edited by TAKODA
(Sp error)

2 minutes ago, StPaulHusker said:

The problem is the younger people are so used to seeing blowouts and 3+ losses per season they don't know any different.  They just want to be better than "that"

Yep.  Close losses don't win conferences or get you to the playoffs.  Recruits want ti play for winners, not a team that doesn't lose by much.....

We gotta start somewhere, but setting the bar "at not getting blown out" is really saying we except losing.......

3 minutes ago, lo country said:

First step to getting pissed about mundane penalties is actually winning cupcake games and not getting blown out in important ones. So lets start with not getting blown out first.

1 minute ago, lo country said:

Yep.  Close losses don't win conferences or get you to the playoffs.  Recruits want ti play for winners, not a team that doesn't lose by much.....

We gotta start somewhere, but setting the bar "at not getting blown out" is really saying we except losing.......

Welcome to most fans on this board in 2015.

• Plus1 1
Just now, jessica0 said:

Doesn't change my thoughts on Frost. Chip may still end up at UF, but why on earth would it be taking this long? 

No doubt.  If he's the guy, grab him.  Unless his back stage rider includes things like no red M&M's....water without ice etc......I lwould love to see them miss out on anyone good.

24 minutes ago, Landlord said:

We fired a coach after seven years for going 9/10-4, not winning anything, routinely getting blown out on the big stage, poor recruiting results, being a raging insufferable jackass, and not being any closer to winning a championship after year seven as we were after year one. 

Nobody was talking about firing Bo Pelini after year 3. Some of us were pretty frustrated with the Washington Holiday Bowl fiasco, but kind of understood it because of Taylor's foot and the Big XII screwing us. There was still plenty of optimism and feeling good about the program having progressed every year and being right on the cusp after year 3 of having not yet won anything. Further, no Michigan people are really talking about hiring Harbaugh. Further still, Harbaugh and Pelini's performances were quite different. But sure, reduce everything to the numbers in the W-L columns if it helps you feel better about whatever it is you're trying to do - s#!t on Harbaugh? Make Frost start with unreasonable expectations? 

I think you meant "firing" here yes? Anywho I have a very good college buddy who's from Michigan and he and I were talking about this the other week and he was very adamant that they were not even close to firing him at this time. Is there a bit of frustration percolating up there? Yeah I think you could say so, but no way are they getting close to firing him.

W-L being the thing that matters most is very different from W-L being the only thing that matters.

TO going for 2 proves that wrong. He could have won a national championship if he kicked the extra point. Does winning a game mean more than winning a national championship? Or did winning the game outright and respecting the purity of the pursuit (in the victory, the action) mean more than winning a national championship by taking the easy way out and tying? 

There are millions of sentimental and philosophical reasons that that argument doesn't hold any water, and even if you ignore all of those, there are pragmatic reasons as well.

A 14-1 season where you lose early and win the national championship (Ohio State 2014) is better than a 14-1 season where you lose in the national championship game (Alabama 2016). But the W-L is the same???

A 10-3 season where you finish #3 in the nation with a Rose Bowl win (USC 2016) is better than a 10-3 season where you finish #11 in the nation, third in your division, and play in the Citrus Bowl (MIchigan 2015). The W-L is the same???

Who do you think is the better team? 10-0 UCF or or 8-2 Ohio State? Obviously the team with more wins, right?

• Plus1 7

Further, if W-L is the only thing that matters our stadium would not be called Memorial Stadium, would not have thematically appropriate "not really all about wins and losses" inscriptions on the corners, and Jack Hoffman wouldn't have ever had a chance to score a touchdown on it's field. 

• Plus1 1
1 minute ago, Landlord said:

Further, if W-L is the only thing that matters our stadium would not be called Memorial Stadium, would not have thematically appropriate "not really all about wins and losses" inscriptions on the corners, and Jack Hoffman wouldn't have ever had a chance to score a touchdown on it's field. 

Im having a really hard time taking what you say seriously when I have the nicholas cage crazy eyes looking at me.

• Plus1 3
6 minutes ago, Landlord said:

Who do you think is the better team? 10-0 UCF or or 8-2 Ohio State? Obviously the team with more wins, right?

The OSU team that played against Iowa or the one that played a week later against Michigan State? UCF is the better team if you are comparing them against the OSU team that played against Iowa.

Edited by jaws