** Scott Frost megathread all things SF***

brophog

3 minutes ago, Hedley Lamarr said:

How about we just do a 5 team round robin tourney lol 

Every P5 conference champion is in. Two teams play an extra game. To determine the two teams that play an extra game, have a set schedule of inter-conference games between P5 teams, and the teams from the two worst performing conferences have to play the additional game.

1 minute ago, Army_Allen said:

I've said from the beginning that an 8 team playoff with 5 power 5 champs guaranteed 5 spots in the playoffs with the conf championship game being an impromptu wildcard play in. Then you have 2 at large spots and the highest ranked group of 5 team getting the final spot and the Cinderella story that the media and fans crave. You're not finding many teams outside of those with much claim to say they deserve an outside shot at the championship.

This is what I have always wanted since the BCS days. 

38 minutes ago, Army_Allen said:

I've said from the beginning that an 8 team playoff with 5 power 5 champs guaranteed 5 spots in the playoffs with the conf championship game being an impromptu wildcard play in. Then you have 2 at large spots and the highest ranked group of 5 team getting the final spot and the Cinderella story that the media and fans crave. You're not finding many teams outside of those with much claim to say they deserve an outside shot at the championship.

In this scenario we would likely have a playoff that looks like this

1 Clemson

8 UCF

5 USC

4 OSU 

3 UGA

6 Bama?(seeding)

7 Wisconsin 

2 Oklahoma

Outside looking in: Miami, Auburn 

Edited by Nebfanatic
  • Plus1 3
4 minutes ago, Army_Allen said:

You forgot to mention that the two at large spots must be from the SEC, and that one of them must be Alabama if Alabama does not win the SEC :sarcasm

Just now, Nebfanatic said:

In this scenario we would likely have a playoff that looks like this

1 Clemson

8 UCF

5 USC

4 OSU 

3 UGA

5 Bama?(seeding)

7 Wisconsin 

2 Oklahoma

Outside looking in: Miami, Auburn 

I wouldn't see anything wrong with those teams in or matchup either. Miami couldn't complain much getting decimated and auburn has 3 losses. 

• Plus1 1

2 hours ago, MichiganDad3 said:

Yes. If you want to be MNC, you have to win our conference. The CCG is the first playoff game.

It was late and I was just trying to make the  insane, crazy "what if point".  What if three conferences each have 6 win teams in one division that has their lucky day and wins the championship game of their conference.  You could have two or three one loss teams (that loss being the bad day championship game) sitting on the outside while two or three multiple loss teams are in.   Hopefully at that point they'd wake up and put a UCF or like in.

7 minutes ago, grandpasknee said:

It was late and I was just trying to make the  insane, crazy "what if point".  What if three conferences each have 6 win teams in one division that has their lucky day and wins the championship game of their conference.  You could have two or three one loss teams (that loss being the bad day championship game) sitting on the outside while two or three multiple loss teams are in.   Hopefully at that point they'd wake up and put a UCF or like in.

That extreme scenario is exactly why there are no specific qualifiers in place to make the playoff. That extreme scenario right there is why the committee exists. 

1 hour ago, BoNeyard said:

Nebraska will be 3-0 going into their game vs Michigan. Harbaugh vs Frost is going to be lots of fun to open up the Big Ten season.

Thought about dumping my Michigan season tix earlier this year since I haven't been to a game in 2 years! Wife said not so fast your Huskers are coming next year...Good point!

Anyone want to make the road trip, Id love to have some tailgate support. Damn Im excited!!

4 minutes ago, Hedley Lamarr said:

Eh what if we have 6 undefeated teams 5 P5 and 1 G5??? 

Another extreme scenario another reason for the committee given the current system. In an 8 team playoff that becomes very easy, they all make it. But in a 4 team playoff a committee is needed. I suppose you could have some sort of qualifier like # of wins against teams above .500 decide who makes it, but regardless of method it will be unfair. The most fair thing to me is to let people decide or just expand the dang playoff. 

35 minutes ago, grandpasknee said:

Late season is when you're not supposed to have gaffes or off games. If the same team lost in the playoffs because they had an off game you wouldn't say give them another shot because it was one off game. You wouldn't let the Patriots replay the Giants because of that amazing catch to seal the deal and the Giants were 9 and 7 and the pats were 16-0. In the 8 team scenario, your conference championship game is your guarantee into the playoff. If you lose it, you leave it up to hoping for an at large bid.

3 minutes ago, Nebfanatic said:

Another extreme scenario another reason for the committee given the current system. In an 8 team playoff that becomes very easy, they all make it. But in a 4 team playoff a committee is needed. I suppose you could have some sort of qualifier like # of wins against teams above .500 decide who makes it, but regardless of method it will be unfair. The most fair thing to me is to let people decide or just expand the dang playoff. 

I am all about expansion to 8. Going above that is silly and only having 4 when most years will be similar to this years has you wondering what the hell. This year I would have liked to see an 8 team

1. Clemson ACC Champ

2. Oklahoma BigXII Champ

3. Georgia SEC Champ

4. Alabama at large

5. Ohio State B1G Champ

6. Wisconsin at large

7. USC PAC12 Champ

8. UCF G5 Champ (would need to have qualifiers for this to happen. Undefeated 12-0 would qualify) 

• Plus1 5
18 minutes ago, Hedley Lamarr said:

I am all about expansion to 8. Going above that is silly and only having 4 when most years will be similar to this years has you wondering what the hell. This year I would have liked to see an 8 team

1. Clemson ACC Champ

2. Oklahoma BigXII Champ

3. Georgia SEC Champ

4. Alabama at large

5. Ohio State B1G Champ

6. Wisconsin at large

7. USC PAC12 Champ

8. UCF G5 Champ (would need to have qualifiers for this to happen. Undefeated 12-0 would qualify) 

You can't have 16 games in a college season, I dont think. Just force all P5 schools to play a 9 game conference schedule and it would work itself out. No matter if it's 4 or 8, there will be complaining. Clemson vs UCF wouldn't be close. Maybe I'm not as high on the Knights as everyone else.